• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fedex SmartPost

John W

I don't know if anyone uses this option or not, but as of January 22nd 2018, dimensional weight now applies.  So, a box that is 24 x 12 x 12 inches will bill at 25lbs if it weighs less.  One of the farms that ships product for me was blindsided by this today, and myself as well.  Dimensional weight has been a problem for me since 2015 when they (fedex and UPS) started applying it to all boxes.  Used to only be oversized boxes.

I'm not really a dog.

@John W

Yesterday, UPS billed me at 31 pounds for a 24 x 12 x 12 inch box, even though it only weighed 14 pounds. This is why I don't have UPS (or FedEx) as options in my online store(s). If my customers what me to ship through either, they have to phone me, and I'll work up the shipping costs manually.

Oh, and another package I had sent UPS Overnight ... 24 x 6 x 6 inches and weighed 2 pounds. UPS billed me at 7 pounds, after I already quoted my customer. I had to eat $24 in additional shipping costs (more than the profit for the entire order).

Malcolm

Well, I have fedex as my shipping option, but I modified it to work with the packaging routine from UPSXML, so it quotes pretty well.  It quotes dimensional weight, but most of my items are pretty light.  The problem is fedex and UPS are so expensive, but I'm stuck with fedex because of my partner only ships fedex.  For air freight, they have been dimensional weight for a long time, but all boxes since 2015.  Last year they changed the dim factor from 166 to 139.

I stopped using UPS quite a while ago and the fedex WSDL module works pretty well as long as I have my item and box dimensions in order.  It's not as easy as it used to be.

Until yesterday, Smartpost billed at actal weight.  This is a bummer for one of the farms I use.

I'm not really a dog.