• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I'm want to upgrade my current BS w/2.3.4 to BS Edge.  I found the Master zip file of Edge.  But I can not find any documentation or upgrade for move to Edge.  Is there one or information on upgrading?

I am not aware of any upgrade manual or instructions to go from GOLD to EDGE.

I guess you would have to go through all the commits done from the day GOLD was released and apply the changes manually. Which by todays stand would be a lot of work.

Best is to setup a new EDGE store and just add all the add-ons or custom stuff into it. 

Any particular reason why you want to change to EDGE?

Thanks for the info.  There are things I added on that I do not want go through again. Some were a bare to get up and running correctly. 

The reason looking at upgrading is the resent announcement from reCaptcha dropping the old version.  The new version is for Edge.  

Other than that I'm happy with the site.

1 hour ago, dculley said:

I'm want to upgrade my current BS w/2.3.4 to BS Edge.  I found the Master zip file of Edge.  But I can not find any documentation or upgrade for move to Edge.  Is there one or information on upgrading?

I've been S L O W L Y upgrading to edge, I've been doing that via Github and installing commit by commit. I still have a way to go.
My reasons for going to Edge is I want to run php 7* and folks are turning out addons that are meant for Edge.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Yes my hosting service is pushing me to upgrade to php7 also. 

I guess I will use winmerge and go file by file and look for changes and incorporate them.  Like you it will be a long process. 

Seeing as how most new addons made for the BS version are modular, isnt it just a case of uploading the relevant addons and clicking to install them. If you have hard coded stuff or altered core code, thats all the more reason to do things properly so future updates will be easy.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

There are a lot of code edits between gold and edge - I'd guess it's in the thousands...

but most of them are for php7 and the removal of filenames.php and some of the configure.php constants, and the move to superglobals ($_GET etc)

There are a few extra fields with some database upgrades that will break new code but otherwise it's just a case of trawling through and applying your changes to the new code instead of the old.

The good news is that the admin side has very little functional change so any changes you have done there can be reapplied in roughly the same place in the code - you'll just have to watch out for constants that are no longer defined.

If your changes on the catalog side have been done in modular fashion that shouldn't be too painful either.

I would be inclined to try to manage the job with github/sourcetree but will start by describing the equivalent manual process:

- get a clean copy of gold

- run a diff of your store code against it

- starting with a fresh copy of edge, manually apply each of the changes from the diff, keeping careful notes of where you got to each time you stop!

The github/sourcetree method is:

- start with a fork of gburton/Responsive-osCommerce

- create a "development" branch at the latest master commit (this is where your new version will be)

- create a "gold store" branch at the master commit corresponding to the gold release (this is for the current version of your store)

- copy your store code into your gold store branch, and commit it (this records all your changes)

- going back to your development branch, merge the gold store branch into it. Some of your changes will go straight in but where the same piece of code has been changed both in your store and the master (ie. core version) you'll get a "conflict"

- go through all the conflicts and sort out what the code should now look like

It's still a non-trivial task but at least you only have to look at the conflicts and not every change!

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

13 hours ago, dculley said:

The reason looking at upgrading is the resent announcement from reCaptcha dropping the old version.  The new version is for Edge.  

If this is the only reason to update...it seems a bit silly to spend days (and potentially weeks) of work updating.

Spend a few dollars on getting a recapcha made that suits what version you are running.

Of course...Edge is better than Gold in almost all respects, but if you are happy with what you have...stick with it.

Archived