• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Artificial Intelligence in Marketing

big_goals

There is a lot of buzz around the topic of artificial intelligence and how it will take over our lives at some point.  It is supposed to start with computers taking our job, which has already been done by some industries that need heavy weight lifting, organizing heavy boxes, etc. But do you think that it is possible machines to do some more responsible positions like HR, Finance or Even Marketing? I mean, for marketing you need creativity, you have to be able to differentiate from others, and so on.

:huh: I am just interested to read your thoughts about that. Not that we can do much about that, as it is a developing process.

AI is starting to make inroads, but it's still rather overhyped. For something requiring real human creativity and originality, it needs to improve in capability by several orders of magnitude. However, it already is being useful where you need help crunching lots of Big Data, in picking out trends and correlations that might swamp mere wetware. The point is that (to date) computers cannot exhibit real creativity, but can only do what they're programmed to do. Anything beyond that would require a degree of randomness (see subject of Free Will), which properly working computers don't do very well.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. All your base are belong to us.

Yeah, I get it. But in some sectors of the marketing, they might be found helpful and more efficient. When it comes to the analytical aspect, for example, customer behavior. I've heard there was a machine used in some stores which detects your mood by your facial features, so by using that managers are able to make a "profile" of their customers and know what to offer to them, and what are they willing to buy in their current mood.

But yeah, when it comes to creativity, I don't think they can outreach humans.

2 hours ago, wHiTeHaT said:

If the employee of the store catch that moment and try to serve you in a particular way based on the current profile, and you was in a happy mood just before i farted.... how is that gonna be?

They can probably detect that Henry since you'd have likely emptied the store.   :laugh:

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello. Where there is lots of data, analisys can be done. AI needs lots of it in order to fit a curve or "shell" in 3D .

In fluid dynamic turbulence for example it is hard to get exact results. The human mind is much better, because its creativity.

There are problems in physics that have not been solved.

AI could help understanding, but it is more like using Excel in order to come up with a fit curve or trend line with its equation, which is very good inside the analyzed range of data.

If easy physical problems are not solved, imagine, more subtle ones such as sychological emotional human reactions ?

Dont think such models will be very accurate.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:21 PM, simply89 said:

I think robots will be able to do financial work or even HR, but idk about Marketing.

As soon as someone teaches a computer to lie convincingly...

19 hours ago, newoldbie said:

In fluid dynamic turbulence for example it is hard to get exact results. The human mind is much better, because its creativity.

The human mind will never get "more exact" results. Its virtue is that it is creative and can jump off onto tangents and come up with insights that a computer might never, if it is confined to crunching numbers according to precise algorithms. As long as you expect human results to be fuzzy and imprecise, but useful as a starting point, both humans and computers (AI) will complement each other nicely. Use computers and AI to relieve humans of massive, rote number crunching (e.g., discovering trends in Big Data), and let people concentrate on being creative.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Phyl.  I have a question for you.

Is it possible to have a web server with a store, with a dynamic IP ?

my ISP said it will be almost impossible to give me a static IP.

Can a VPN solve such problem?

Many thanks in advance.  jose

On 1/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, big_goals said:

There is a lot of buzz around the topic of artificial intelligence and how it will take over our lives at some point.

:)  I was working on AI over 25 years ago in the health sector! Its been in use for a long time.

Its been used to help reduce the amount of data that needs to be reviewed by actual doctors. Xrays CT scans and other test results can be reviewed using Ai techniques to eliminate those that have no problems leaving the clinicians to review only the ones suspected of having a problem.

PayPal has been using Ai for some time to reduce the fraud rate by analyzing transactions in real time. Hedge fund use Ai in asset management.

Amazon and other sites use Ai targeted marketing based on customers history.

Chat bots, google, translation software and many others have been using Ai for some time. In defense industry we used it for tracking suspects and objects over 30 years ago :D

The next big move in Ai will be in better prediction for energy use by intelligent power grids to eliminate peeks and troughs and smooth out power supply. Essential if green energy like solar and wind is to be profitable.

So Ai has been in use for a long time and will continue quietly in the background.  Most people will never know they have interacted with a service or device using AI.

@newoldbie, It depends on what you're trying to do, and why you need one kind of IP address or the other. I see no reason that a store could not function with either a static or dynamic IP address. If you need a static IP address for SSL or payment processing, have a talk with your host about what you're trying to do, and whether there is an alternative to static IP that will get the job done. Many hosts now offer SSL (often for free) without having to purchase a static IP address, so consider moving to another host if that is the issue. If it's a payment processor who is demanding a static IP address, see if another payment processor doesn't require a static IP address, or changing to a Third Party payment system that doesn't require a static IP address.

What does this have to do with Artificial Intelligence in Marketing? Please ask such questions in a more appropriate area.

How To Use Artificial Intelligence In Ecommerce

I think this one is quite relevant to this topic and may be of interest.  

https://www.accenture-insights.nl/en-us/articles/how-to-use-ai-in-e-commerce

Archived