• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Finding sp0ecific .php page

Ken_Shea

I haven't touched the code for several years and while I was getting a grip as to what was where and how to get to it, Ive now unable to recall.

Looking for this page to make some textual changes.

It's the first page after clicking  "Add to cart"

Thanks for any help as to where this is located.

Ken

SC.JPG

Thanks,

Didn't find a single piece of search text to be sure that was the page but entered some random text to see where/if it printed and was able to end up with the desired changes. I doubt it's pretty but seems to work well as it did before the changes.

Ken

@Ken_Shea

If you look at the URL in your browser, it will show you the name of the 'main' file being displayed. Mind you, the 'main' file may (and usually does) call other files.

In osCommerce, most of the actual text you see on any page is located in a LANGUAGE file, not the 'main' file itself. This is to allow your store to be able to have more than one language. The file that has the actual text for this page is something like this:

/catalog_ontarget/includes/languages/english/shopping_cart.php

(note: if your store has more than one language, the /english/ directory listed above may be something else, such as /french/ or /german/ )

The 'main' file controls how the page is displayed, the 'language' file has the actual text to be displayed.

Are you building a new store, or updating an existing store?

Malcolm

@Ken_Shea

You're going to get a lot of suggestions/recommendations to upgrade your existing store to the latest version of osC, for a number of reasons:

1) The latest version (the community EDGE build) is responsive, which means that it adapts the display to the device that your customer is using. With the move to mobile devices, do you really want a store that people can't use (or have difficulty using) on their phones or tablets?

2) When your host upgrades the version of PHP on their server, your store will crash. Only the latest versions of osC are PHP 7 ready.

3) The Edge version is much more modular, meaning you can turn features on or off, or add new features, all without any core changes.

Mind you, upgrading is not a simple upgrade-in-place process. Basically, you'd build a new store in a different directory, make any style chances your want, and then migrate your database to the new store.

HTH

Malcolm

Agreed, I really do need to upgrade, but it is a monumental task and expensive to hire out, even then there are changes I'd want done to add even more to that expense. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or experience to be comfortable doing it. Would also mean I'd lose all the upgrades I have spent so much time and money on to date.

As far as the PHP version, my web host gives complete control on which version of PHP that is to run up to the newest, so should be good there.

I am going to look into upgrading in the near future.

Ken

Well, Ken, you're in for a long and lingering death, then. When you operate a web site, what you're signing up for is the task of keeping current, and not falling far behind the curve. You're going to slowly lose customers by not having a responsive site (mobile friendly). You're going to be constantly behind the 8-ball as your host upgrades PHP (and other systems) levels, scrambling to patch your store to work on the current PHP.  Old PHP versions and old store versions are an engraved invitation for hackers to mess with you and your customers' financial data (a huge legal liability). If you want to operate an online store, you are either going to have to learn to do it yourself, or be willing to pay someone to do the necessary work for you. If you don't have the programming skills to maintain osCommerce, perhaps you should look into transferring your store to WordPress and its store -- it's not as good as osC, but might be something that you're able to handle (more of a Plug-n-Play operation).

The first thing you should do is try installing a test version (in a private directory) of Edge, and play with it (including transferring a copy of your current store and its database). See what upgrades you need, and whether you have the skills to add them yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it has become. The worst thing you can do to yourself is to allow inertia and "I'm incapable of doing this" to kill your business through stagnation.

Phil,

LOL, all good news, still I do agree and have installed 2.3.4 Edge in for testing today and it is up and running but of course not with necessary changes to run live.

First step now, Is there a data base conversion from the 2.3.3.4 to the 2.3.4 EDGE type?

The osC 2.3.4 upgrade package has an SQL script (to "Import" in phpMyAdmin) to go from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4, and the 2.3.4BS Edge has a script to go fro 2.3.4 to Edge. Note that if you have any additional stuff in your database, either add-ons or custom mods, it's possible these scripts won't work right. In that case, you can look at the schema for your current store (print out an export/backup of the DB) and compare it to Edge's schema, and then either manually edit the .sql backup to bring it in line with Edge, or use phpMyAdmin's editing capability to change table definitions against the old database (copy).

• 1 month later...

God, I hope this the correct place to ask this question.

I have (Version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4) Installed on my server and want to make it responsive (Multi Device) usable. If I upgrade to edge will my site be able to be viewed correctly on smaller devices?  

8 minutes ago, ralgiere said:

I have (Version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4) Installed on my server and want to make it responsive (Multi Device) usable. If I upgrade to edge will my site be able to be viewed correctly on smaller devices?  

Yes...that is what the EDGE (responsive version) is all about.  Your site will be viewed correctly on all devices.  It uses the Bootstrap framework...have a look at the BootStrap website for more information on their framework.

Dan

Start from scratch?  Hopefully you haven't been modifying core files.  If you have added items to your database you should be able to recover that data.  Just be sure to back everything up first.

Dan

Archived