• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Icloud email servers rejecting emails

John W

Recently, I started seeing emails like the welcome signup and Burt's keys emails for reviews.  But, I don't think it's rejecting order emails.  This is the error message I'm getting below and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen these?

host mx6.mail.icloud.com [17.178.97.75]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

550 5.7.1 Message rejected due to local policy. Please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

I'm not really a dog.

Well, "local policy" most likely means that they think it's spam. Your description is a bit confusing -- are you saying that some mail gets through OK, and others are blocked? Can you see any pattern, such as for different return addresses or different IP addresses? If not, they might see "excessive" links in messages or other signs they think are spam. If all of a return address or IP are blocked, perhaps you need an SPF record.

@crimble crumble Smoky did you ask your host why they were marking them as spam....it seems odd that they would be the ones doing that.  I can see the recipient server doing so but your host?

Dan

Thanks Smoky...that's interesting....here is what SpamExperts say about outgoing filtering.

Why Choose SpamExperts Outgoing Filter?

Avoid IP blacklisting

The implementation of SpamExperts Outgoing Filter will help you get rid of network weaknesses and will cut the time spent with delisting to a minimum.

Improve abuse manageability

With our Outgoing Filter service you can get clear and concise reports indicating which users/ accounts require your attention, automatically locking them.

Protect your brand and infrastructure

SpamExperts makes sure you are part of the email security solution rather than part of the problem, ensuring integrity and positive client reputation.

Avoid severe fines

Nation-wide legislative and control organizations are empowered to severely fine organizations for sending out unsolicited email. The SpamExperts Outgoing Filter is a robust solution which will prevent your organization from possible penalties for sending out spam.

Dan

16 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Well, "local policy" most likely means that they think it's spam. Your description is a bit confusing -- are you saying that some mail gets through OK, and others are blocked? Can you see any pattern, such as for different return addresses or different IP addresses? If not, they might see "excessive" links in messages or other signs they think are spam. If all of a return address or IP are blocked, perhaps you need an SPF record.

It only recently started and it's on Welcome emails and Burt's Key emails (requesting review), so no order emails have been rejected.  I have SPF and DKIM, Reverse DNS, etc.  This only recently started also.  My Welcome email only has email links in it and the order key only has one for the review.  But, order emails have a link to the order.  This particular server has been running for a little over a year and haven't had any other issues.  There's only a couple sites on the server without a lot of email being sent.  I was curious if others have seen this problem pop up. 

I'm not really a dog.

38 minutes ago, John W said:

It only recently started and it's on Welcome emails and Burt's Key emails (requesting review), so no order emails have been rejected.  I have SPF and DKIM, Reverse DNS, etc.  This only recently started also.  My Welcome email only has email links in it and the order key only has one for the review.  But, order emails have a link to the order.  This particular server has been running for a little over a year and haven't had any other issues.  There's only a couple sites on the server without a lot of email being sent.  I was curious if others have seen this problem pop up. 

John I noticed that you referenced ICloud in the threads title....aren't these the same folks giving us grief with attributes?  If so, they might have security screwed down a little tight.

Dan

PS: Do you have any Iguanas you can send me?  :biggrin:

The icloud email servers work for me.com and icloud.com adresses.  It may be some change they recently made, but I suspect there is somethng different in the email headers between the welcome email and order email.  I've modified things over time, so I'll look into that this week.

Do you really want Iquanas? 

I'm not really a dog.

9 minutes ago, John W said:

Do you really want Iquanas? 

Now that I think about it....you're probably not the right person to ask....I hear your Iguanas fall out of the trees with the first hint of cold weather.  :biggrin:

Dan

On an episode of Bizzare Foods there were some people in the Keys that were shooting and roasting them.  I've eaten lots of aligator, crawfish, oysters, etc... , but never a lizzard.

I'm not really a dog.

Back to the Icloud subject.  I did some research and reading and I found some threads where various people had temporary intermittent problems with this.  I tried analyzing the email headers, but I don't see anything obvious between order emails and burt's key emails.  Maybe it's just intermittent.

I'm not really a dog.

• 4 weeks later...

I figured I'd update this thread for anyone that encounters this error.  I couldn't find anything I was doing wrong, so I emailed icloudadmin with the info on my site and server, which they list on the above link.  I got an automated response stating they would check into it and make any needed adjustments.  It also said I would not be contacted again unless they needed more info.  I'm no longer having the problem, so I guess they did something that corrected it. 

I'm not really a dog.

Archived