• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.2 CVS Upgrade steps

ricarios

We're running a very very old 2.2 CVS which lies between 2.2 MS1 and MS2

Could someone help me which steps I have to do?

To which version I should start first and then how to continue?

Is it possible to upgrade the MySQL 3 database to MySQL 5?

2.2 CVS ??? Yikes, that belongs in the Museum of Natural History's fossil collection! Anyway, before upgrading, are you going to be able to run on a decent level of PHP (5.6 or later) and MySQL? If your hosting is well behind, recent osC versions won't run on old systems.

If you can get to at least PHP 5.6, your best bet is to install osC 2.3.4BS Edge. That way, you'll be fully up to date. Migrating your database may be a problem, as I don't know if there are any tools back beyond 2.2 MS2. First, you should be able to export (as .sql or .csv) your current database, and then import it into a modern MySQL. That may be easier than trying to upgrade the DB in-place. Your host may need to work with you on that, or there may be online guides. Then you will need to compare the DB schema with that of the new osC, and manually update your database to the new schema (adding tables and data, modifying existing tables, etc.). I think you're going to have to do that manually anyway to get to 2.2 MS2, so you might as well do it all the way. You can do it in something like phpMyAdmin, or (especially if the old .sql won't even import) edit the .sql file to match the new schema, and just import that via phpMyAdmin.

Was such an old store still running recently? If not, is it worth going through the trouble of migrating the data over, or should you just start afresh? Are the customers still current?

Yes, its still active and working fine. :biggrin:

I have everything here: phpMyAdmin, PHP 5 & 7 and MySQL 3 - 5

I have a lot of headache because of my old database. You wrote " (adding tables and data, modifying existing tables, etc.). " Where can I find detailied instructions about the new schema?

That will work, really?

I looked into the database and was very surprised: The old and the new are nearly identical. But I noticed there is also a new column called Collation. Shall I convert my old Database with notepad+ to utf8 and then just import it? Will that work?

Intended working flow:
1. Export old DB (MYSQL3) to a temporary empty DB (MYSQL55)
2. Delete all obsolete tables like "login, permissions" etc.
3. Export DB and convert to UTF 8
4. Import into new DB

Something missing?

Snag_25a9ce10.png

Snag_25aa0c70.png

Snag_25aa1d68.png

Well, you have a lot of tables in the old (?) store which are not stock -- probably associated with add-ons or other custom code, which you'll need to decide whether to recreate for the new store. You can see the new schema by exporting (to .sql) the new store and its sample products, and then manually compare the old and new schemas (table layouts).

It is generally recommended that stores be in UTF-8 encoding (and an appropriate collation such as unicode (binary) with Case Ignored), unless your product and customer base will always be purely ASCII. There's no real cost to going UTF-8, so doing so future-proofs your store. If your old store was strictly ASCII text, there's no problem simply calling it UTF-8. If it might contain any accented characters or other non-ASCII (Pounds Sterling, for example), you would leave the .sql file's text alone, declare the new DB to be UTF-8, and tell phpMyAdmin when you import the .sql file that it's ASCII or Latin-1 (that's normally the default). It will convert any non-ASCII characters on-the-fly to UTF8. Of course, this assumes that your encoding was Latin-1 and not something else. Don't be afraid to play around with it, so long as you have a clean backup of the original. At worst, you'll have to delete the new DB and start over with it.

My personal preference would be to edit the .sql file (with the table declarations) to change formats, lengths, etc., and add new fields as necessary. However, you are free to use phpMyAdmin's table editing and creation facilities, if that's easier. Finally, I wouldn't call the two databases "nearly identical"... many fields are longer in the new version. Also watch out for encoding/collation differences, storage engine differences, etc.

• 9 months later...

Yes, its still active and working fine. :biggrin:

I have everything here: phpMyAdmin, PHP 5 & 7 and MySQL 3 - 5

I have a lot of headache because of my old database. You wrote " (adding tables and data, modifying existing tables, etc.). " Where can I find detailied instructions about the new schema?

That will work, really?

It would be easiest to make a test install of Frozen and use phpMyAdmin to dump out the sample database, including the table definitions. The oscommerce.sql file in the install package is probably just as good. Compare them to your old DB and decide how to best modify the old DB schema to match (or be a superset of) the new DB, either in phpMyAdmin or editing the .sql dump of the file. For very old versions of osC, or ones that have been modified, that's about the best you can do.

Archived