• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

error 500 Cannot declare class, because already in use

anabis

Hello all, I hope someone will be able to help.

My client played around with some modules configurations this afternoon, I wasn't beside him so I am not exactly sure what he did, but I'm sure nothing foolish, at least he didn't edit code or anything.

But now I have this error in my nginx error log

PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Cannot declare class language, because the name is already in use in /var/www/shop/includes/classes/language.php on line 16" while reading response header from upstream, client: 92.256.256.94, server: *.myshop.com, request: "GET /shop/index.php HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock:", host: "myshop.com", referrer: "https://myshop.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25"

This happens on all pages except on '/shopping_cart.php' and it happens only when the user has at least one item in its cart. So when it happens it is possible to go to this page and remove the cart content.

I have tried hunting another declaration of a 'language' variable, found only things like this

# grep language includes/functions/cache.php 
    global $cPath, $language;

(in other files too) and temporarily removing/commenting these either break more things or doesn't solve the problem.

If someone can bring any help on this that would be awesome !

Thank you!

This error is usually the result of uploading the code for a module to the languages directory. That is, something that should go in includes/modules/shipping was loaded into includes/languages/english/modules/shipping. Or something similar.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thank for your quick answer,

What can I do to find which module file is in the wrong directory ? The error message isn't very helpful. By the way, I'm not sure if the error happens because a language class has already been declared in /includes/classes/language.php, or if it happens when it tries declaring this class in this file.

All files under the includes/languages/english/modules/ directory contains only define directive so I guess they're correct. No files under includes/modules/  are such "define only" files..

The /includes/classes/language.php file is included into other files that need to use the language class. The error usually means that the file has been included more than once, which usually means a file in the wrong place.

There is another possibility: this error message could itself be incorrect. I remember this happening with older versions of PHP and certain security settings (likely in Centos). The fix is to upgrade to a newer version of PHP, as the code that is causing the error is perfectly valid, and the actual problem is a bug in PHP.

Regards

Jim

1 hour ago, kymation said:

The /includes/classes/language.php file is included into other files that need to use the language class. The error usually means that the file has been included more than once, which usually means a file in the wrong place

In which case replace the include function with include_once would fix the problem ? Still, any idea as to where to find that faulty file ?

1 hour ago, kymation said:

There is another possibility: this error message could itself be incorrect. I remember this happening with older versions of PHP and certain security settings (likely in Centos). The fix is to upgrade to a newer version of PHP, as the code that is causing the error is perfectly valid, and the actual problem is a bug in PHP.

I am running version 7.0.27, I think I can rule out that possibility.

1 hour ago, ArtcoInc said:

At the risk of asking the obvious, do you (or your client) have a backup of the site before the changes were made?

Malcolm

Yes I do, fairly recent, I'll resort to this if there is no other way.

Thanks

You can search for language.php in the files and change the include to include_once in each case. If that makes the error message go away, you had a file in the wrong place, and you still need to find that and fix it.

It's possible that PHP 7.0.27 has a regression bug, or that the security changes that Centos makes to the default system will cause this problem for any version of PHP. The bug has never been traced to that level.

Regards

Jim

9 minutes ago, kymation said:

You can search for language.php in the files and change the include to include_once in each case.

That worked ! language.php was included in these files

admin/includes/application_top.php 
includes/application_top.php 
includes/modules/social_bookmarks/sb_google_plus_one.php
includes/modules/social_bookmarks/sb_google_plus_share.php
includes/modules/header_tags/ht_google_adwords_conversion.php
includes/modules/boxes/bm_languages.php

I changed include() to include_once() in each of them, the bug disappeared and then I reverted back to include(), checking if the bug re-appeared between each of them. That led me to the conclusion that the wrong file was includes/modules/boxes/bm_languages.php.

But this file is untouched from the oscommerce 2.3.4.1original zip, so I wonder what has happened, and if I went through the whole problem here.

What do you think ?

This could be a bug in PHP, or it could be a condition that was previously allowed and is no longer. PHP has been getting stricter about some things.

Regards

Jim

Archived