• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

EDGE instalation bugs

JcMagpie

I have been sorting out a few issued with my bootstrap Gold installed sites and have managed sort  these out now thanks to much help from the forum.

Now I know Gold is already out of date and people are recommending using Edge to avoid problem in the future. So having a new site to set up I down loaded Edge and installed it. The server side install was fine and admin works untill you go to add modules then this!. The shop side is another story altogether as nothing works! Just get this error!

http://www.medchill.com/xxxx/modules_content.php

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/xxxxx/public_html/includes/languages/english/modules/content/index_nested/cm_in_new_products.php on line 13

The shop side just get this error!

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_get_languages() in /home/xxxxx/public_html/index.php on line 15

on checking i found the index.php file that the instalation plased on server side was only a fraction of the size that was in the original un ziped pakage? so silply FTP larger file over and shop front now showing but new error on screen!

syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/xxxxx/public_html/includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_customer_greeting.php

FTP of new file did not fis this! Looks like Modules for products is broken.

Trying to add product or edit product results in this error,

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/xxxxx/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english/categories.php on line 112

Wow instalation has never been this painfull in the past. Going to stop untill I get some feedback.

Not as simple as I first thought. Applied all the changes as done in Gold to Front page module and category on front page module and got most of it working but stuck on a few problems both on admin and front end.

On admin got most of it working. Keep getting these 43errors which I stuck on,

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/medchill/public_html/xx/includes/languages/english/categories.php on line 112

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/medchill/public_html/xx/includes/languages/english/manufacturers.php on line 51

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in /home/medchill/public_html/xx/includes/languages/english/reviews.php on line 48

And this one in the Tools section.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home/medchill/public_html/xx/newsletters.php on line 33

On the shop front its all working except fro the fact nothing shows as far as actual category images and names just a long list of error codes. Even with the supplied test index.php

Warning: include(DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_categories_images.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_categories_images.php on line 41

Warning: include(DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_categories_images.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_categories_images.php on line 41

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_categories_images.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_categories_images.php on line 41

Warning: include(DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_text_main.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_text_main.php on line 41

Warning: include(DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_text_main.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_text_main.php on line 41

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'DIR_WS_MODULEScontent/front_page/templates/cm_fp_text_main.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/medchill/public_html/includes/modules/content/front_page/cm_fp_text_main.php on line 41

It could be me being stupid but the index.php is as supplied for test.

It' late and I'm not sure I'm thinking stright so going to stop and as for imput before I get more confused! Hopfully someone will know what silly mistake I have made.

If you are using one of the later versions of Edge, definitions for some things, like DIR_WS_MODULES, are not allowed. You need to change any occurrence of them to the actual location, like 'includes/modules/' (shown apostrophes required). There is an addon that can be installed to still use them if prefer that method. I don't recall its name but search the addons for compatibility and you should be able to find it, or someone may post a link here.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It might help them to make a decision if you state that EOL (end of life) on the 5.2 series was almost exactly 7 years ago).

http://php.net/eol.php

If they say "no" to an upgrade, you would be well advised to find a new host, but of course only you can make that decision and there might be other reasons why this host is ok for you.

A number of my working site ( ie my income) have been running for over 15 years with this host and there all based on 2.2a with a lot of mods. Will this imapct there running?

I know I need to update hence the work with Edge but untill I get one site running as required i dont want to risk crashing the 2.2a sites as then i'll be Pennyless!! 

5 minutes ago, justcatering said:

A number of my working site ( ie my income) have been running for over 15 years with this host and there all based on 2.2a with a lot of mods. Will this imapct there running?

I know I need to update hence the work with Edge but untill I get one site running as required i dont want to risk crashing the 2.2a sites as then i'll be Pennyless!! 

It's not possible to say.

I would suggest moving the new site to a different server at the same host, or get it it's own hosting account at another host.

You need to be at 5.4 minimum for the Community Version, I'm pretty sure Paypal modules etc require 5.4.  What we did in the Bootstrap changes is easy enough to solve (change const to define, that's about it IIRC)...but you will have problems in other areas, which are not easily solvable!

Actually it may be better for me to start again from scratch just in case I’m missing something simple.

I want to use edge so that I don’t need to have to change yet again in any large way for the next few years.

I have a test site that I have 95% of the way I want it using Gold you can see it here www.justcooking.co.uk

Now this  site is used as a catalogue for my customers so they have the ability to check products on their phone and many have stated this is a help as they can then buy of the main site later.   www.justcatering.com

The main feature on all my sites is the ability to have the categories show on the front page. Don’t ask why, just works for me and my customers.  

As you can see I my Gold site is just about done, just want to do the same with Edge, I saw that in the installation it says many modules have been included in Edge but on installing it I could not find any way of doing the same as Gold with the addons  hence me adding them to Edge?

Sorry the test site beeing used for Edge is www.medchill.com .

OK did a total wipe of site and new fress install of Edge only new database and all no mods. Site is up but gives error and admin is up but gives error

on store you get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/cm_i_customer_greeting.php on line 13

on admin when you try to go to  Categories/Products

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in includes/languages/english/categories.php on line 112

Content going to content in modules gives

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST in includes/languages/english/modules/content/index_nested/cm_in_new_products.php on line 13

So looks like I'm going to have to use Gold for now.

This is back to Gary's point....get a hosting package with at least php 5.4 so you can develop a site to move forward with.  Otherwise you're going to have a site that is behind right from the get go.

Dan

1 hour ago, justcatering said:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST

Let's try again... ;)

If you are wanting to use Edge, you need to be on 5.4 minimum.  OR... you change all consts to defines

Here is a list of consts;

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/search?utf8=✓&q=const

And here is an example of how to change to a define;

const MODULE_CONTENT_NEW_PRODUCTS_TITLE = 'New Products';

TO:

define('MODULE_CONTENT_NEW_PRODUCTS_TITLE', 'New Products');

After these consts are changed... you should be OK.  But then, of course, the next time you want to upgrade you cannot simply overwrite a file as you have changed core code to suit your particular circumstances.

I cannot stress enough...the following (which are meant helpfully);

1. A host stuck on php5.2 is not a host I would want to deal with
  2. If you want to use Edge, the README states a minimum PHP version, if you are on an older version...things might not work
  3. If things don't work, you need to change core code appropriately (and then remember forever more what you changed!)

Thanks I am going to try and make it work as once i haave made the changes to one and made a list of them then doing to other sites should be ok.

Will just keep at it and see how far i get.

Thanks for all the help.

Changing to PHP 5.6 (the earliest currently supported PHP release) will likely break an osC 2.2 RC2a store (which is quite ancient). You should not stay at earlier PHP releases, such as 5.2, except where your site will break. Even then, you should be making plans to upgrade to the current osC (Edge) on a proper server (PHP 5.6 or better, 7.x)), just to get caught up with the current PHP and osC releases, and not have to worry so much over whether your current store is going to suddenly drop dead when your host upgrades something.

You should talk with your host about whether it's possible to select different PHP releases (via .htaccess or php.ini file entries) for the different directories containing osC 2.2 and Edge shops. Many hosts have multiple levels of PHP installed, making one the default, and allowing you to select others on a per-directory basis. If they can't or won't do that, can you get your new work (Edge shop) on a different server which is up to date (at least, PHP 5.6), preferably without having to pay for a new account? If not, look for a better host for your new work (the Edge shop). You don't want to be forced to stay at PHP 5.2 (which is totally unsupported and easy to hack), and can't even run Edge on that, so if your host thinks it's fine to stay at PHP 5.2, it's time to move on. On the other hand, if they're bending over backwards to let you run 5.2 for your existing store, see if you can easily run 5.6 for Edge.

Eventually, you should end up with a current osC store (Edge) on a current PHP release (5.6, or better, 7.x), and your 2.2 store's data has been migrated over and that store closed. You'll be so much better off!

Ok well done most of it, only one error now on the admin side for news letter!

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /newsletters.php on line 33

line 33 is, $allowed = array_map(function($v) {return basename($v, '.php');}, glob('includes/modules/newsletters/*.php'));

must be something i'm missing!

4 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

Changing to PHP 5.6 (the earliest currently supported PHP release) will likely break an osC 2.2 RC2a store (which is quite ancient). You should not stay at earlier PHP releases, such as 5.2, except where your site will break. Even then, you should be making plans to upgrade to the current osC (Edge) on a proper server (PHP 5.6 or better, 7.x)), just to get caught up with the current PHP and osC releases, and not have to worry so much over whether your current store is going to suddenly drop dead when your host upgrades something.

You should talk with your host about whether it's possible to select different PHP releases (via .htaccess or php.ini file entries) for the different directories containing osC 2.2 and Edge shops. Many hosts have multiple levels of PHP installed, making one the default, and allowing you to select others on a per-directory basis. If they can't or won't do that, can you get your new work (Edge shop) on a different server which is up to date (at least, PHP 5.6), preferably without having to pay for a new account? If not, look for a better host for your new work (the Edge shop). You don't want to be forced to stay at PHP 5.2 (which is totally unsupported and easy to hack), and can't even run Edge on that, so if your host thinks it's fine to stay at PHP 5.2, it's time to move on. On the other hand, if they're bending over backwards to let you run 5.2 for your existing store, see if you can easily run 5.6 for Edge.

Eventually, you should end up with a current osC store (Edge) on a current PHP release (5.6, or better, 7.x), and your 2.2 store's data has been migrated over and that store closed. You'll be so much better off!

Well have been looking at it for a while now but no simple route. All my sites are stabel and working currently (touch wood) This work now is to slowly move to Edge which will work with updated PHP, so looking for the simple solution of geting one site working ans stable so when i do move can have confidence in not beeing down! Hosts are allways problamatic, if cost was no option would go for dedicated server! but its not so have to work within budgets. Never had a problem on the hosting front untill now, for the last 15 years its just worked.

It was like this when I started out with 2.2 spent time geting one site rock solid and then just used as requred and t worked for last 15 years. Hopefully Edge will go the same way with some more work.

36 minutes ago, justcatering said:

line 33 is, $allowed = array_map(function($v) {return basename($v, '.php');}, glob('includes/modules/newsletters/*.php'));

That is correct code, and is an "anonymous function" which is for php5.3 onwards.

You'll need to work around that, or just not use the newsletter page.

must be something i'm missing!

The advice to use a host capable of hosting osCommerce, ie one that is not on 7 years out of date php!

Thats fine I can live without that. Have never used that function anyway.

OK so ingnoring this no other errors on back end or front have been over every option all work with out error.

Ok so to my original wish to get the catogory images to show on the front page?  not founf that function anywere in the modules sectoin am i missing some thing.

Archived