• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Progress Update

Hi All..

A quick progress update regarding what we've been working on recently.

A new Community Team is being formed to help moderate community submitted content and to help with community relations and issues. This not only helps the developers in the team to focus more on code development and less on moderation, but also broadens the voice in the team when community related issues arise and are addressed. This new approach to the team is being ironed out and we'll be glad to invite more active users in the community to help out once everything is running smoothly again. For the curious, those we have initially invited can be seen on the forum staff page.

An internal build of v2.3.5 has been in testing and this weekend will be spent fixing the known issues. A majority of reported issues and pull requests at Github have been addressed and will also make their way into v2.3.6 (the Community Bootstrap edition). These releases are planned to be the last in the v2.3.x release series to place all resources on v2.4/v3.0. Accommodations will be made if the community wish to continue working on v2.3.6 for future v2.3.x releases. More information about this will be announced with the releases. The next test builds will be made available to Ambassadors for a wider testing audience. Both releases will be officially pushed out this month.

The forum software has been updated to the latest release series and introduces a new Clubs section to the forum. We've moved our partner announcements forum channels to the Clubs section where our partners can customize their own club sections further with logos and additional discussion channels. We're planning on adding multilingual Clubs in the near future, and also community requested clubs (eg, for community release editions).

The upgrade of the forum software version was originally postponed due to changes made with user accounts and the integration we have with our main website. This also plays a role with the marketplace integration in v2.4 where user accounts are required. An online update for 2.4 will be pushed out soon to test the marketplace integration and user account logins/creations with. Release dates for v2.4 will be provided when the marketplace integration online update has been pushed out.

Two new websites were planned to be launched in Q4 but are being pushed back to Q1 2018 to push our next releases out first. The new websites are for a proper commercial support inquiry / job marketplace website (to replace the not-so-user-friendly forum channel here in the forums), and a new user profile website (for Ambassadors) to highlight ones profile across all of our websites (submissions from our forums, live sites, and apps marketplace websites), with the focus on the person behind the screen name.

Hope everyone has a great festive season! :heart:

:heart:, osCommerce

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Harald is MIA apparently. I don't think anyone has heard anything and in this case I'm hoping no news is good news.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

59 minutes ago, reinder said:

The captain has left the ship apparently, normally the ship will then be taken over by the crew, maybe this should happen here also...

It seems the captain left the cockpit closed and took the keys with him

Maybe the poor guy just needed some time out and hoped he had a good strong team that could manage a few months without him steering the ship. After all a good captain relies on a good crew!

I hope @Harald Ponce de Leon  will reacts quickly.

Yesterday I changed my hosting, and in all the hosting that I reviewed none had oscommerce as an Ecommerce application to install by default.

I mean that those hoting believe that oscommerce is dead ....

You can draw your conclusions ...

Best regards

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

Official OSC has been dead for a very long time. I expect after the flack and abuse HPDL took on these very forums about the lack of progress he just got pi$$ed off and didnt return. Its his bat and his ball and he can play if he want to. He has chosen not to.  Someone here took it upon themselves to move the project forward, but they to now feel that it cant go further forward as it is. I cant blame him for that as it has taken many hours of work to get it where it is, and without the support of other coders and some shop owners it was decided that it was time to stop.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I came here to try to get a handle on what the state of osCommerce is and this isn't encouraging.

I've been using it for 13 years now, and it's always been this weird opaque thing where it feels like if you're not part of some inner circle or on the forums 6 hours a day you're just not going to see 90% of what's going on.

13 years and I still haven't seen one piece of developer documentation aside from the database schema.  Does it exist somewhere?  Are the developers pathologically averse to putting comments in the code?  Even a one-line description per file?  I'd be happy with documentation in any European language.

I will say that I'm grateful for a free e-commerce system that has let me take over 25,000 orders.  I'm standing up a new store today or tomorrow that I hope to get a couple more years of use out of.  There's always been *some* way to do what I want, but the lack of documentation has made it much more difficult than it would have been otherwise.

13 hours ago, crimble crumble said:

Maybe he just needs some coffee and chocolate...

Already did that. No response :mellow:

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Archived