• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Import Reviews from other sites

discxpress

Hello,

I would like to form partnerships with review sites that give detailed reviews and also opinions from their fan base. That would be great for on-page content/seo.

I would like to offer prospective partners a link back to their review site and an opportunity to earn revenue in my affiliate program in exchange for link to my products to increase sales. 

I need a way to import their reviews and display them in some stylish form either via a link or carousel or product listing. My idea is to import a feed from the partner and display their rating on the respective product. 

Can this be done? @burt @frankl @raiwa @MrPhil Any questions can help me to elaborate. Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

No you can't all the reviews must writen by yours customers.

@Gyakutsuki I wouldn't want to give up too much real estate on my site for their reviews. 

The idea is to get reviews to engage my customers with unique content. It's not an easy task to get customers to leave reviews so I would like to incorporate from other sites that have done all the work.

I will offer them affiliate pay for every sale they send IF THEY AGREE. If they don't agree then nothing will happen.

I don't know where you are located, but you must verified the law about that in your country.  Best way for you.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

4 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

I don't know where you are located, but you must verified the law about that in your country.  Best way for you.

I'm in America. Here if we get permission from the content owner then it's legal unless the terms of the agreement are terminated. 

5 minutes ago, wHiTeHaT said:

you do not need exclusive reviews from your customers.

There are reviews systems like:
Peter has rated this product on [external site] for 3 stars.

or

Susan's comment for this product on [external site] say's: XXXXXXXXXXXX blabla.

No problem with that. As it is a global rating for just the product.

The question is....... do you want to merge these ratings or product-testimonials to your own rating system?

Ifso, then you might can get in trouble (SEO penalty and might even break some law)

@wHiTeHaT I would never want to merge ratings or reviews with my own system. I always believe in giving credit when and where it's due. Keep them separate is the right way. Just as you suggested with global rating.

I would keep it as "reviewers on [external site] rated this product 3.5 out of 5". Then a link read more reviews. And it goes to their site.

Regarding @Gyakutsuki's warning about legality, it all depends on who owns the content (holds the copyright). Only that entity (business or person) can give permission to copy content to another site. If you set up a review site and prominently state something like, "All content placed here becomes the exclusive property of this site" then clearly it is the right of the review site owner to permit that content (reviews), which they now own, to be copied to another site. If there is no such statement, national laws may consider the reviewer (customer) to have retained copyright (ownership) of what they wrote, and they would have to give explicit permission for their review to be copied. In that case, as Loic said, you would have to be aware of the applicable laws -- it would probably be safe to assume that the original reviewer retained ownership. I suppose it's possible that national intellectual property laws may even supersede any statement that reviews become the property of the site, but that would be unusual, and contradictory to contract law. Finally, ownership of reviews by the site may be implied if any editing or removal is done by the review site, for any reason. [Note that I am not a lawyer -- I only play one on a hit TV show.]

As to whether copying of individual reviews (with permission, of course), paraphrasing (or exerpting) with a link back to the original ("fair use"), or consolidation with other reviews is the best course of action, I can't make a blanket statement. Copyright issues aside, there's the believability of reviews which cannot be directly verified. Even if you copy over entire reviews, you should have a link back to the original so that skeptics can check the authenticity. Finally, a link back to the whole review site (or at least, the section pertaining to you) would satisfy those suspect that you may be cherry-picking good reviews and ignoring bad ones.

@MrPhil agree with that. I add just an information :
At the time of social network, it could be dangerous to do that, impossible to follow and also if the master link is dead, that's can be a problem to verify the source.

Regards
Loïc

Well, dead links have always been, and will always be, a potential problem. At least you show that you made an effort to provide a link back to the original source. If it went dead after a time, that's not legally your problem. If a potential customer thinks you've made up an imaginary review site, and can't be bothered to investigate the history of the domain (or check archived sites), there's not much you can do about it (except to sue them if they make public claims that the review site never existed). Even an actual review site could be faked in order to generate positive buzz about your products, if you care to go through the effort!

So long as the external site can give you some sort of feed...they are giving implicit permission to use the reviews from their site.

Feed could be RSS or XML or "whatever"... find out what you can get...and come back and discuss some more.

If you have two or three (or more!) sites where you want to use feeds...that's still possible, but same question;  find out what type of feed they will give you.

@MrPhil & @Gyakutsuki the site in question clearly states that "All rights reserved-do not copy anything without prior written permission". On it's face that means the review site own, retain and maintain the content written and submitted on their site. 

I won't provide the entire review.  Maybe the top 3 or 4. I will give a link back to the original review on the review site for authenticity. I won't be stealing because I'm offering an affiliate partnership which I'll pay for any sales they send.

@burt I'll begin talks with the website owners and if I can secure an agreement with them, then I'll see what format in which they can provide info. I'm sure they store their reviews and other content in a database.

I think a lawyer will be the best for you to write or negotiate a contract. Take precaution.

Regards
Loïc

"All rights reserved-do not copy anything without prior written permission" ... if that's all there is, without an explicit claim of ownership, I would not assume that the review site necessarily owns the content on it. However, if they grant permission to use this material, they should be the ones on the hook to prove they have the right to do so. In other words, it's their problem if they're the ones committing the copyright violation. If you acted reasonably, in good faith, to copy material that they said you had the right to, you ought to be in the clear (although anything can happen in a court case).

@MrPhil That's true. I won't know more until I begin talks with them. I would at least like access their product rating and any content bio or background information generated by their staff. They have a Domain Authority of 63 with a Page Authority of 54.

I must find out what I need to bring to the table as far as the percentage per sale and what information they need me to provide.

Places like Walmart and Amazon and many others will allow you to show their reviews (or whatever you want) from their feeds. It's no big deal. As long as you have permission from the company you are drawing reviews from there is no problem.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

Thanks @frankl. With this prospective partner, they have a ton of content! Domain Authority 63, Page Authority 54. Their reviewers have done all the work. If their website viewers volunteered the reviews that could automatically transfer ownership to the website owner. Especially if there were a TOS or checkbox stating "Any content submitted is voluntary and becomes property of this website". 

1. I need the best affiliate letter that will at least get them to thinking about becoming a partner

2. Make them an offer they can't refuse. I can pay them more per sale than Amazon, eBay and Walmart.

3. I need a way to incorporate their content into my website seemlessly. In a way it will be an exclusive partnership for just that one category of my shop which has 1000+ subcategories. That'll help me rank for keywords I wouldn't otherwise dream of.

Your thoughts.

If you can get something innovative going with a content partner which helps the bottom line, why not? You can always remove it if it doesn't work. I don't know what Domain Authority or Page Authority are, they sound like made up metrics by an SEO company.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, frankl said:

If you can get something innovative going with a content partner which helps the bottom line, why not? You can always remove it if it doesn't work. I don't know what Domain Authority or Page Authority are, they sound like made up metrics by an SEO company.

@frankl Domain Authority and Page Authority are terms most commonly used by moz.com. They're an authority in the SEO arena. It's basically related to quality of backlinks, domain age, etc. It's based on Google's 200 ranking factors.

It should work, I hope it works. My domain is about to be a year old on the 17th and I'm starving of lack of organic traffic.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:37 AM, discxpress said:

Hello,

I would like to form partnerships with review sites that give detailed reviews and also opinions from their fan base. That would be great for on-page content/seo.

I would like to offer prospective partners a link back to their review site and an opportunity to earn revenue in my affiliate program in exchange for link to my products to increase sales. 

I need a way to import their reviews and display them in some stylish form either via a link or carousel or product listing. My idea is to import a feed from the partner and display their rating on the respective product. 

Can this be done? @burt @frankl @raiwa @MrPhil Any questions can help me to elaborate. Thanks in advance.

Yes, but I hate to say it, it may be more economical to just pay someone to write your reviews. It happens everyday on Amazon...and those sellers kick butt.

3 hours ago, clustersolutions said:

Yes, but I hate to say it, it may be more economical to just pay someone to write your reviews. It happens everyday on Amazon...and those sellers kick butt.

@clustersolutions I've never heard of paying someone to write reviews besides offering them future discounts. I would like to hear more about it if you don't mind explaining it to me/us. How does that work?

Thanks

If it's clearly stated that the reviewer was paid (in some way) for their review, at least that's being honest, even if it does raise suspicions that the reviewer was paid for a puff piece. What most concerns me is when there's no mention of payment, but a review is so... gushing... that it makes we wonder just how objective it is! I would have more faith in reviews if the stated policy is that all reviewers get X (discount, etc.) for a review, positive or negative, and it will be published so long as it's factual, legal (non-defamatory), and sticks to the point; and that reviewer did actually purchase the product. It's OK by me if extremely negative reviews are delayed while the seller works with the buyer to try to understand what went wrong and to make it right, and can add their own rebuttal to set the facts straight. However, you don't want to read through a pissing contest between the buyer and seller, so just the one rebuttal should be the end of it. You also don't want a general public free-for-all that could go who knows where.

2 hours ago, MrPhil said:

If it's clearly stated that the reviewer was paid (in some way) for their review, at least that's being honest, even if it does raise suspicions that the reviewer was paid for a puff piece. What most concerns me is when there's no mention of payment, but a review is so... gushing... that it makes we wonder just how objective it is! I would have more faith in reviews if the stated policy is that all reviewers get X (discount, etc.) for a review, positive or negative, and it will be published so long as it's factual, legal (non-defamatory), and sticks to the point; and that reviewer did actually purchase the product. It's OK by me if extremely negative reviews are delayed while the seller works with the buyer to try to understand what went wrong and to make it right, and can add their own rebuttal to set the facts straight. However, you don't want to read through a pissing contest between the buyer and seller, so just the one rebuttal should be the end of it. You also don't want a general public free-for-all that could go who knows where.

@MrPhil Amazon is cracking down on such reviews. Mostly what I read, the hyped up reviews were those referring to the seller. 

My idea and as you stated in this thread, is to place a link back to the original reviews. The reviews from my actual customers would be separate as they should. That way the burden of authenticity is on the review site. Also, place a disclaimer on my site stating that those reviews are property of the external site.

Archived