• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search Engien Safe URL (still in development)

hatchcom

this feature is working, its just that the development team hasn't given its complete blessing yet. Their could still be problems when activating the search engine feature that haven't been found yet.

Basically use it at your own risk, but I'm sure your server won't blow up... at least I don't think so :lol:

osC details

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

PHP Version: 4.3.8 (Zend: 1.3.0)

Apache Release 10331100

MySQL 4.0.27-standard

• 2 years later...
this feature is working, its just that the development team hasn't given its complete blessing yet. Their could still be problems when activating the search engine feature that haven't been found yet.

Basically use it at your own risk, but I'm sure your server won't blow up... at least I don't think so  :lol:

I have the same thing in my cart. What exactly does this do?

That option does not work for most sites and should be avoided. Years ago, the SE's refused to look at php sites. It's purpose was to change the url so that it was more like an html link so that the SE's would look at it. Since the SE's no longer have that restriction, the option is useless. If you want the url's though, install the Ultimate SEO contribution (V 2.0). It does a great job of changing the url's.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

SE Optimized Pages

=

Easy to remember, easy to optimize pages.

Example:

http://awaskemalangan.com/SAFETY-PRODUCT/category4.html

*Actually a Simple Store (not open source)

http://awaskemalangan.com/SAFETY-PRODUCTS/catalog

So we use two stores simultaneously :)

You can start optimizing each page for each product and category if you have .htm files instead of those strange URLs.

Link individual product INSIDE your catalog FROM your main page or appropriate pages

Submit individual product page to suitable directory

Example: you want people to find your store selling specialty product (example: safety products Malaysia)

With .html pages, you can easily edit your:

Meta Tags

LInks from anywhere especially your Sitemap

Image alt tags (Yahoo uses this tag!)

Your TITLE, Meta description/keywords

Right now I am targetting `first aid kits Malaysia' so anybody who search for Malaysian first aid kits using Yahoo or Google will find my pages listed and ranked in the first page, not somewhere at the 12th or 29th!

Try this at Google:

site:yourdomain.com

Try this also at Google:

[your target keywords] - example - first aid kits

I havent tried the Ultimate SEO yet, but thankx for mentioning it!

Thanks! I copied your post here:

Check out this fellas! Each model has its own page name.

http://www.itchi-tech.co.uk/

==========

BlueYon

post Jul 8 2005, 04:13 PM

Post #20

Daniel Kerr

Group Icon

Group: Community Sponsor

Member No.: 17,269

Check my site out:

Itchi-Tech ===========>http://www.itchi-tech.co.uk/

It uses force cookies and I have added my own contribution (Search Engine Friendly URL's).

You should always use force cookies!

Session ID's in the URL's should never have happened.

There are lots of methods that can be used instead of using session ID's.

My site caches all the URL names and creates a hash the from the product , category or manufacturer name. It's a bit like using a ISBN number for a book.

The mentioned contribution is not a patch, if the oscommerce search engine friendly urls do not work this contribution will not fix that...

If they do work it will give you nicer looking urls though... ;-)

And in regards to previous comments, standard php urls does give you the same possibileties in regards to submissions and meta tags optimization...

You should always use force cookies!

Session ID's in the URL's should never have happened.

There are lots of methods that can be used instead of using session ID's.

That's a very subjective opinion, for those of you following alog. Session IDs in the URL are perfectly fine, as long as you make sure you don't assign them to seach engines spiders.

And for the growing population of users out that that are becoming more and more security sensitive and have their cookies disabled, no, there are not other methods. Session IDs in the URL is a neccesary evil, unless you don't mind losing ~20% of your potential customers right off the bat.

Edited by wizardsandwars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Session IDs in the URL is a neccesary evil, unless you don't mind losing ~20% of your potential customers right off the bat.

Hmmmm??

As a novice, I kinda like the friendly URLs. It is easy to remember specific product/category/manufacturer and I can quickly link them from my index page (mainpage which is not the store front but the community page). Also you can easily add links from anywhere you like (like your forum, msg board, guestbook, or promote these product URLS directly to friends via e-mails).

But as I scan using Google and Yahoo, most of that strange URLs (dynamic pages) got linked and indexed in first pages!

Example: first aid Malaysia = results below

Malaysia Yellow Pages

All, First Aid Supplies-Wholesale & Manufacturers, Motorcycles & Motor

Scooters-Supplies & Parts-Wholesale ... Medishield First Aid Supplies Sdn Bhd, 90.79% ...

www.yellowpages.com.my/psearch/index.jsp?sf=w&name=First+Aid+Supplies-Wholesale+%26+Manufacturers

Malaysia manufacturers directory and trade portal.

Select your option to search Malaysia manufacturers by major industrial categories

or manufacturers ... Manufacturer of : First Aid Supplies - Whsle & Mfrs ...

e-directory.com.my/web/sw-searchlist.asp?productID1=First+Aid+Supplies+-+Whsle+%26+Mfrs

But SEO friendly URLs are also listed as well:

Medicine and First Aid Malaysia - Shopping Medicine and First Aid ...

Products for Allergy and Sinus, Contraceptives, Contraceptives ect.

www.elib.org/dire/120/92.php

First Aid Kits - Malaysia (MY)

First Aid Kits - Malaysia (MY) ... First Aid Kits -Wholesale Save on First Aid

Kits at Maxtool Fast Shipping - Free Color Catalog www.maxtool.com ...

www.kellysearch.com/my-product-39556.html - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

VOCAM Malaysia - Injury & Illness ? Emergency Response - Part 1

Malaysia ? Video Titles ? Contact Us ... When there are no staff formally trained

and certified in first aid on the scene, others present can make a big ...

www.vocam.com/malaysia/title-iier1.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

23rd Singapore-Malaysia First aid &

25TH SINGAPORE-MALAYSIA FIRST AID &. NURSING COMPETITIONS 2005. Rounded Rectangle:

ORGANISING COMMITTEE Advisors :Dr Ho Nai Kiong,BBM, KStJ Dr.

www.sjab.org.sg/SMFAC.htm

===================================================

I think in deciding whether or not to use friendly URLs, several things need to be considered. Here are some that come to my mind:

1. You are not lazy to do what the contribution package instructs to do! So go for it!

Make backups.

2. You want to easily insert URLs to your products/categories in your forum, boards,

or maybe your business cards, emails.

People dread less following a friendly link such as this:

http://wesellsafetyproducts.com/firstaidkits.htm

3. You want to follow suggested Search Engine Optimization techniques yourself.

Then go ahead and edit the .htm files generated by the online store.

ANy other ideas to go or not to go for it? :)

For more info on available search engine friendly url formats click the link SEF & SEO Urls in my signature...

Installing the Seach Engine Friendly URL V1.8

Contributor:

BlueYon

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showuser=17269

Thank God it works!

I put the @unlink(DIR_FS_CACHE . 'url.cache');

after the

====

Step #6 - In In /admin/includes/functions/general.php

if (USE_CACHE == 'true') {

tep_reset_cache_block('categories');

tep_reset_cache_block('also_purchased');

*I PUT IT HERE*

}

}

function tep_remove_product($product_id) {

$product_image_query = tep_db_query("select products_image from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

$product_image = tep_db_fetch_array($product_image_query);

$duplicate_image_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_image = '" . tep_db_input($product_image['products_image']) . "'");

$duplicate_image = tep_db_fetch_array($duplicate_image_query);

if ($duplicate_image['total'] < 2) {

if (file_exists(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image'])) {

@unlink(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image']);

}

}

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_BASKET . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_BASKET_ATTRIBUTES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

$product_reviews_query = tep_db_query("select reviews_id from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

while ($product_reviews = tep_db_fetch_array($product_reviews_query)) {

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " where reviews_id = '" . (int)$product_reviews['reviews_id'] . "'");

}

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

*not here you dummie* }

*neither here* }

===================

Now I got my products to look like these:

http://awaskemalangan.com/SAFETY-PRODUCTS/...E-TALKIE-WT440/

*I put the osCommerce on that SP/catalog/ so that's why it gets lengthy

For those who put osCommerce on the main directory, I think it should be able to

create:

http://yourstore.com/Whatever-name-product

Well that's good enough!

Thankxxxx BlueYon your SEO Contrib really works!

That's a very subjective opinion, for those of you following alog.  Session IDs in the URL are perfectly fine, as long as you make sure you don't assign them to seach engines spiders.

----------------------------------------------

And for the growing population of users out that that are becoming more and more security sensitive and have their cookies disabled, no, there are not other methods.

--------------------------------------

Session IDs in the URL is a neccesary evil, unless you don't mind losing ~20% of your potential customers right off the bat.

Gulp :blink:

For users who use Firefox or Mozilla, is the cookies disabled or enabled by default?

What about that SSL connection thing? Does enabling cookie will disturb this?

Does enabling cookies also mean that security is compromised?

Right now people all over the world are on alert with virus and hacker attacking PCS via Microsoft Internet Explorer exploiting its flaws and all that....does the cookie thingy some sort of Trojan horse?

Some Security Guys should answer us here! B)

Man, this SessionID thing really confuses me.

Installing the Seach Engine Friendly URL V1.8

Contributor: 

BlueYon   

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showuser=17269

Thank God it works!

I put the @unlink(DIR_FS_CACHE . 'url.cache');

after the

====

Step #6 - In In /admin/includes/functions/general.php

*I PUT IT HERE*

}

}

function tep_remove_product($product_id) {

$product_image_query = tep_db_query("select products_image from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

$product_image = tep_db_fetch_array($product_image_query);

$duplicate_image_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_image = '" . tep_db_input($product_image['products_image']) . "'");

$duplicate_image = tep_db_fetch_array($duplicate_image_query);

if ($duplicate_image['total'] < 2) {

if (file_exists(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image'])) {

@unlink(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image']);

}

}

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_BASKET . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS_BASKET_ATTRIBUTES . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

$product_reviews_query = tep_db_query("select reviews_id from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

while ($product_reviews = tep_db_fetch_array($product_reviews_query)) {

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " where reviews_id = '" . (int)$product_reviews['reviews_id'] . "'");

}

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$product_id . "'");

*not here you dummie* }

*neither here* }

===================

Now I got my products to look like these:

http://awaskemalangan.com/SAFETY-PRODUCTS/...E-TALKIE-WT440/

*I put the osCommerce on that SP/catalog/    so that's why it gets lengthy

For those who put osCommerce on the main directory, I think it should be able to

create:

http://yourstore.com/Whatever-name-product

Well that's good enough!

Thankxxxx BlueYon your SEO Contrib really works!

:lol: I just installed this contribution on a test site. It works! Thanks for the tip.

There was another folder in the contribuiton called bts/index.php. Do you know how to use this file?