• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Questions entering products.

Gary Tayman

I'm finally at the point of entering a few products.  Added the first one, and I have a few questions -- that hopefully aren't too hard.

Products Model -- would this be a SKU number?  Is this the number that appears below the product name in the description?

Products GTIN -- this is new, what is it?

Products URL -- there is already a URL for the manufacturer, what would this be?  Leave it blank?

There might be another question or two before I'm done, but getting there.

Products Model could be a SKU, or whatever the manufacturer calls a model. It's up to you. Yes, it shows up next to the Products Name on the product info page.

GTIN is an international ID number for that product. Also called ISBN and several other things. It's not always available, and not always applicable to your products.

Products URL is usually not used. It was used at one time to link to a page with more info about the product, but that's a bad idea for several reasons. Leave it blank.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@Gary Tayman

19 minutes ago, Gary Tayman said:

Products Model -- would this be a SKU number?  Is this the number that appears below the product name in the description?

The Product Name and the Product Model both show up in your store. For example, in the product_info.php page, the Name is in a larger font, and the Model is below the Name, surrounded by square brackets.

Play around in your store ... entering different information in both fields, and look at where the information is displayed. Look at where all of the products within a certain category are displayed. Pay attention to how they look in both List mode and Grid mode. Also, look at the page where the single product is displayed. Lastly (assuming you are using the Responsive version of osC), pay attention to how things display in different modes (cell phone in XS mode, tablets in SM or MD mode, desktops in LG mode, etc.).

You may find that you prefer to put the part number in the Name field (and a short description in the Model field), or you may prefer it the other way around.

Pay attention to your search feature. Some search functions may only search on the Product Name, so keep this in mind.

Sounds like you're making progress :thumbsup:

Malcolm

Thanks for the replies.  Yes indeed, once I get a few products in place, I will indeed check it out in a few modes.

The first few products are crucial; the rest is mostly copy and paste.  For example, kick panels -- for a 67 Chevelle without A/C, without speakers,  Kicks for a 67 Chevelle WITH A/C without speakers, then with speakers, upgrade speakers, 68 Chevelle, 69, 70, Corvair, Nova, etc., etc., etc.  One product, a thousand different SKU's, cut and paste the descriptions, etc.  Do the first one, get it right, then copy-paste it to death.

Before you go entering thousands of similar products, take a look at "product attributes", which would be like sub-products under "Chevelle kick panels": with speakers, with AC, etc. Also look at "make-year-model" add-ons, made for automobile-related items. You may find either or both quite useful for managing your product list.

As to put in what fields, as Malcolm said, see what it looks like, and avoid duplication on a page. Consider what terms people might use for searching in Google, etc., and make sure they're on the page. Even better, critical searchable terms should be in high-level headings (H1, H2, etc.) if you can arrange things that way.

Archived