• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal options

Gary Tayman

Now I'm at step two and stuck again.

Seems when I did this before, it was not nearly as hard -- just a few clicks here and there and I was in business.  But anyway, I'm trying to set up Paypal.

As soon as I clicked on the Paypal option, I got an update.  Silly me, I clicked on update.  Now I've got a page full of options that I don't understand.

Status:  live, sandbox, or disabled.  Huh?  Status of what?  Customer pays me, I get in it my account.  What's a sandbox?  I get the impression I'm being stupid by asking this question.

Instant update?  Uh, okay, yeah, I suppose.  If I agree, in what way will it come back to bite me?

Express checkout.  Uh, same thing.

Page style.  Blank.  Does that mean my page will have no style?

Transaction.  Authorize or sale.  Which one?  I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Order status.

Any clues here?  I thought this was just a matter of putting in my e-mail address and maybe a password.

• 4 weeks later...

Sandbox is for testing.  You can run fake orders through the store and get email confirmations but no money will move.  It requires a sandbox account, which you probably don't have.  You probably don't want this. 

Disabled means that the module won't work.  You probably don't want this. 

Live means that PayPal will try to process any orders you put through the store.  This is almost certainly what you want, unless you are testing or turning off the module. 

Instant update means that it will try to post orders back to a URL on your store.  If you don't have this set up properly, it could cause problems.  However, if you don't use this, some orders might be created in PayPal without being created in your store.  The old method did not use this, so turning it off will make things work as they did previously. 

Express checkout is another way to process orders.  It also requires additional setup.  Again, not part of the original functionality.  Added later.  You can say no safely until you know what it is. 

Authorize means that you are only authorizing the transaction and will capture it later to actually transfer the money.  Sale means that it will initiate the money transfer to your account immediately.  Sale was what the module used to do. 

Order status is the order status that you want PayPal orders to be when the payment transaction is completed.  The old method was to match all other payment methods.  The idea is that you could put it in a special status, e.g. check PayPal.  Then you would know that you need to verify that the payment exists in PayPal before continuing.  After verification you could move it to a different status, like Processing.  The store won't care about this value.  It exists purely as a note for you and potentially your customers. 

Always back up before making changes.

Archived