• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

appearance of cart in 2.3.4.1

helenium7

Hi, I'm a long term user of OSC > 10 years) and have just installed 2.3.4.1 and configured it to look just as I want it with ONE exception.

The shopping_cart.php page looks incongruous and out of place with the rest of my site. 
The conflicts and priority rules of the stylesheet and the theme switcher (and I have added a few) are bewildering.

In shopping_cart.php (in the main directory not the language file) I have changed (about line 35)

<div class="contentContainer">
  <h2><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS; ?></h2>

<div class="contentText">

to read

<div class="contentContainer">
  <h2><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS; ?></h2>

<div class="productListTable">

This changes the page style to be much more like the rest of the site - it gets rid of the bold and underlined product links and the background in better 
BUT I CANNOT CHANGE THE COLOUR OF THOSE (product) LINKS FROM BLACK AND IN THE WRONG FONT, I have tried inline divs, styles, setting them in css. . . you name it! 

Suggestions would be greatly appreciate please.

Screenshot at 2017-11-23 08:23:14.png

You shouldn't use the official 2.3.4.1 package. It's outdated. Use the responsive community version instead. You can download it here:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/master.zip

It is optimized for mobiles and for PHP7.

I guess you are on time to begin with a new installation and it's worth, even you have to redo some customizations.

rgds

Rainer

I agree that you should move to osC 2.3.4BS Edge, but in the meantime, you should be able to customize text font, color, and decorations (underline, etc.) in CSS. You must not be putting your overriding CSS statements in the right place, or you're not properly writing the selectors. Use some sort of browser debug tool to examine the HTML and CSS in use for a particular element, and see if your CSS changes are either overridden by something stock (they appeared too early) or your selector is wrong and they're not even being considered. You might also need to add something like !important in some cases.

Look, that is not helpful. The current guidance on the OSCommerce website is quite clearly to use 2.3.4.1 - (see screen grab) - maybe you should sort out among yourselves what version you promote? I just did what you yourselves collectively recommend. What am I supposed to do?

Mr Phil, thanks for the guidance on css etc. In fact the formatting was being overridden and is now sorted.

Screenshot at 2017-11-24 18:29:59.png

@helenium7

If you've been on this forum for any length of time, you'd know that there is a long running issue (years, in fact)  regarding the 'current' release of osCommerce. Yes, the web site says that 2.3.4.1 is the latest 'official' release. However, 2.3.4.1 is just a hot-fix to version 2.3.4, which is several years old.

The community (lead by @burt)  got together and made the Responsive version of osCommerce. As the name implies, it is responsive, meaning it will adjust how the store is displayed on a phone, a tablet, or a desktop. osC 2.3.4.1 does not! With the world moving more and more to mobile devises, this is very important.

In addition, the Responsive version (sometimes called the Bootstrap version, or the community version) is PHP 7 ready. Any store built on 2.3.4 WILL CRASH when your host upgrades their version of PHP.

Also, the Responsive version is much more modular, meaning you can turn features on or off, and even add new features, all without changing any code.

So, the advice that @raiwa and @MrPhil gave you IS helpful. Yes, the latest 'official' version is 2.3.4.1. Yes, this is an issue that has been going on for several years. And yes, you do not need to follow their advice. It's your store, do with it as you wish.

Use  the  DevTools in browser.

2017-11-24-22-46-40-compressor.png.bc19ff812b56bb1d095493b0057d5b6a.png

Error! Attribute color:#663333 not allowed on element a at this point.

The font element is obsolete. Use CSS instead.

In stylesheet.css

a {color:#663333; text-decoration: none; }

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I have taken your advice despite my initial annoyance having installed the officially recommended version and done all the various config stuff.  So many thanks  @raiwa and @MrPhil and ArtcoInc for your inputs - the responsive version functions well - osC 2.3.4BS Edge -and is all up and running with my various modules installed without a hitch. Having a single user.css file for appearance is helpful too (although a little tricky to get right . . .  I think I am there now).

5a2566538c965_Screenshotat2017-12-04151220.thumb.png.a5f7a474725ead7645d0ab3c9f1df8fd.png

Archived