• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from Version 1.280

letsbuygold

Hi 

I have an old website built in 2003/2004 using oscommerce version 1.280

Is it possible to upgrade to the new version of oscommerce ?

What should i expect to pay a developer to do the upgrade.

I have been told it is not cost effective i.e. it would cost thousands to do and therefore it would be cheaper to build a new site and to consider a different platform.

What are peoples thoughts on this ?

my website is www.letsbuygold.com

I also don't want to lose my SEO so i was thinking about cart2cart to transfer over data but if i upgrade will this need doing still ?

I would welcome any suggestions !

Thanks

Louis

The cost of thousands is ridiculously high. It is not allowed to post quotes for things like that on the forums but I'll PM you to give you a more realistic range.

For older shops like yours you will need to start over, sort of. If done correctly, you won't lose anything in your database like customers and orders. Nor will you lose the SEO work done. But any addons you have had installed, code changes that do some function but are not from an addon and the appearance of the shop have to be redone. But once done, you will have a much more faster and securer shop that is mobile ready.

Paying cart2cart is not necessary and would just increase the cost of the conversion.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's not so much an "upgrade" as it is a complete new installation (osC 2.3.4BS Edge, use nothing else) and migration of the database and product image files. Version 1.280? That sounds like a (Third Party) template version, and not an osC release. You will then need to customize the new installation with various add-ons and CSS tweaks (colors, etc.). If you are currently using a template, there's no telling what custom function there is in it that you will have to consider whether to pay for replacing. I suggest installing Edge first and migrating a copy of your data, seeing what function is missing, seeing what can be replaced with add-ons and CSS editing. What's left is what you need to decide what to do about.

Archived