• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Will osCommerce CE/2.3.4r/responsive/Bootstrap version become 2.3.6?

mgutt

I tried to understand which versions are the most recent and which should be installed. Finally I found out that the official osC team member @burt is working with some others on the 2.3.4r version that contains many changes and removes downwards compatibility for addons while working on new ones. But he said its an unoffical release:

Thanks to @ArtcoInc 's post I understood that 2.3.4r Gold is something like a usable Beta version and 2.3.4r Edge is the most recent Release Candidate, but could contain bugs:

And finally I found this post of the osC team leader @Harald Ponce de Leon that explains that 2.3.5 will be the last security release and 2.3.6 will break compatibility and adds bootstrap:

Conclusion:

@burt's CE/2.3.4r/responsive/Bootstrap version is a fork, but will replace the official version by renaming it to 2.3.6.

Proposal: Release 2.3.6 as 4.0. This will remove all the confusion regarding the sleeping 2.4 and the dead 3.x.

The truth is, nobody knows what's going to happen. First of all, 2.3.4BS Gold is (to my understanding) not under active development or support. You should use 2.3.4BS Edge, as it's still actively developed and supported. It's quite stable and you shouldn't worry about bugs, or using Gold instead. Gary (@burt) has said he has no plans to formally fork osC and create his own product. Harald keeps saying that new releases will be out Any Day Now, including officially adopting 2.3.4BS Edge as 2.3.6, but the promised date is now far in the rear view mirror.

My recommendation is to install and use osC 2.3.4BS Edge until something is officially released (which could literally be years from now). Don't sit and wait for something to come out Real Soon Now, as nothing will, if past history is a guide. It's quite unfortunate that this means using an unofficial version rather than an official release, but that's what the situation is. Who knows whether there will actually be an official 2.3.5 or 2.3.6, or when 2.4 will be a finished product.

@wHiTeHaT

I'm not a fan of replacing the complete core of a project (I grew up with phpBB2 and phpBB3 killed it). Its hard to find enough devs because everyone needs to earn money and because of that most of the energy is invested in the recent versions (2.3.4r) and finally you do not have users testing your work as its a alpha for a long time. I think its better doing it in small steps so everyone is able to adapt step by step their extensions. It takes more time, but you bind more people to the project and it never stalls.

And as I said. The biggest fault is to publish a version name if you don't know when it will be ever released. Now we are stuck with a version number that looks like a bugfix, but 2.3.6 will include major changes.

So I fully agree @burt when he says that 2.4 is a "mistake ... unloved by shopowners (as it has no addons), unloved by developers (as no shopowners to build for)".

35 minutes ago, mgutt said:

So I fully agree @burt when he says that 2.4 is a "mistake ... unloved by shopowners (as it has no addons), unloved by developers (as no shopowners to build for)".

I don't agree with that, 2.4 is very nice and allow to make that you can not make with 2.3.x. 
I don't understand why there are so many resistance with that and some tools change their core (drupal, joomla, prestashop ...) at a moment for a good benefit for everybody.
All programmers say is a pain to maintain  the 2.x and if we must have new programmers inside the community and not just like "3 or  4" in this moment, it will be better for everybody.

Why you don't like the disruptive ?
This forum is not for just a little developper has been make many contributions and does'nt want to adapt the contribution for the new core or does'nt want to evoluate. Stay like that, lost knowledge, learn and lost innovation and technology. Sorry if don't like this sentence

Everytime, I have a customer, everytime, I don't know how the contributions are integrated, how  and coded inside osc, and eveytime the customer must paid more just for that, just for analyse and for integration because there is some many problem can appear ....
Like the last time when there is an evolution on 2.2 to 2.3 with including new template approach, all people create new contribution. That's the evolution. That's sit.
Every new tools need time to take this place  in ecosystem.
HPDL stop the first time the new 2.4 and create another 2.4 just because little does'nt agree with that. At the moment it's time to change and to evoluate. Don't afraid.
evoluate like programmer
evoluate like shop owner.
evoluate for community
to finish with that, attitude of the community don't help HPDL to continue. Says opinion ok, says the problem ok, with respect but when I saw all is writen, I can be agree with that.

Be positive. that's the good way.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

@mgutt

2.3 core base was outdated in ~2012. Latest 2.3.x version upgrades tried to adapt technical requirements and security fixes but we didnt be able to step forward...
Next v2.3.6 release wont be the Holi Gral even though many community works was built in. We use BS for ages which is not a secret. It was important adaptaion of responsibility!

Some of us developed the brilliant v3 alfa 5 anno but the community didnt want it so opencart was born. You can see the shared ecommerce results...

We should separate template files in v2.4 and it will be better than v3 alfa 5 ever thanks to v3 backports.
If someone wants v2.3BS than use it. If another wants something better than use v2.4. The mistake wont be again if we have modern core in the battle.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Archived