• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add new products - increase size of text input fields (multiple lines)

peterpil19

Hi,

Hopefully this should be a very simple question.

In categories.php, can someone show me how to change the dimensions of the text input fields? I specifically want multiple lines of entry in a field. For my purposes a single line is insufficient for some of the product fields and is making entering new products a little more difficult than it ought to be.

Here is the code for a typical product field input field.  In this case for "model". I can change the length, by changing 15 to some other number. But I cannot change the size vertically (i.e. to allow multiple lines to display).

<tr>
            <td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_MODEL; ?></td>
            <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . '&nbsp;' . tep_draw_input_field('products_model', $pInfo->products_model); ?></td>
          </tr>

I notice that products_description uses a different type of field (larger, multiple lines of data - and the size can be changed) but I cannot seem to replicate it. If I copy the below and change the reference to "description" to e.g. "model" it works fine when adding a new product, but then the fields dissapear when going back into the product. So I must be doing something wrong.

<?php
    for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($languages); $i<$n; $i++) {
?>
          <tr>
            <td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION; ?></td>
            <td><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
              <tr>
                <td class="main" valign="top"><?php echo tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link('includes/languages/' . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name']); ?>&nbsp;</td>
                <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '15', (empty($pInfo->products_id) ? '' : tep_get_products_description($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>
              </tr>
            </table></td>
          </tr>
<?php
    }
?>

I am grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I have tried searching online but had no success.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

you are going in the right direction using the products_description textarea as input field type, however you will need to make changes to the database for that field

products_description uses type text in the database whereas model uses varchar (12) with the 12 being the max number of characters

for a simple model change

<tr>
            <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . '&nbsp;' . tep_draw_input_field('products_model', $pInfo->products_model); ?></td>
          </tr>

change the tep_draw_input field

<tr>
            <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('products_model', 'soft', '70', '15', $pInfo->products_model); ?></td>
          </tr>

you can change or remove the

tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15')

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Thanks @241!

That works!

Can I kindly trouble you with one follow up question? How do I specify the dimensions of the input text area field?

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Sorry, 

Ignore that last post, the answer was (embarrassingly) obvious...

Thank you again for your assistance!

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Archived