• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need Idea about customization of product

cupidare

Dear OSC Community, 

I need a little bit of inspiration: I'm looking for a way to implement a possibility for customers to choose from products to buid their own advent calender. 

That means: We are selling a calendar with 24 items. Atm we are asking our customers to insert their wishes in the commentary at the checkout. But that is annoying for both them and my wife. Especially when it comes for more than one calendar. I also don't want to make an article for each of the items within the calender and want to manage the items selectable on their availablity. 

My questions: 

-how could one implement this in osc-bs edge? I don't like much of core code manipulation. I thought of including an additional js popup window during checkout appearing if such a cusomable product was choosen where the user can choose between: klicking through all of the stuff, or choosing: "i don't care, just send me a calender", or randomly selecting ...

- on which part of the checkout procedure would it best be placed?

Have a nice evening

-- cupidare

Of course this would be the best idea, as the system is impemented. I'm quite unsure about how to setup this... 

It is important, that the quantity is exactly 24 that means that we would need 24 boxes for each of the day. Then the user would have to scroll through the whole assortment for each of the days. 

Is is possible to make this vice versa: list all the products and choose from them while controlling that the maximum number is 24 with the attributes addon without any major changes?

• Set up 24 options, one for each day.
  • Asign all the available variations (attribute values) to each option.
  • Asign all options to each product.

Try it out in admin/product attributes.

If you need an easier way to do it, try:

AJAX Attribute Manager BS

if you need to control attributes stock:

QTpro BS

49 minutes ago, raiwa said:
  • Set up 24 options, one for each day.
  • Asign all the available variations (attribute values) to each option.
  • Asign all options to each product.

Try it out in admin/product attributes.

If you need an easier way to do it, try:

AJAX Attribute Manager BS

if you need to control attributes stock:

QTpro BS

If the products already exist in the catalogue then this means recreating the products as options and if the product itself has options it may cause other issues.

... Just thinking...

- it would need one to have a possibility to give a text comment to an order <- core code

- make a product_info.php module, which is looking for a product, which is assosiated with a list of items. This could be done in the admin area (like the cross selling stuff @burt has made, I believe.) This module could incorporate the counting javascript stuff and then adds the selection as a comment to the basket. It should also take into account how many calendars are ordered to simplify the process for the customers. 

Am I missing something or any hints how to think this easier? 

17 minutes ago, cupidare said:

... Just thinking...

- it would need one to have a possibility to give a text comment to an order <- core code

- make a product_info.php module, which is looking for a product, which is assosiated with a list of items. This could be done in the admin area (like the cross selling stuff @burt has made, I believe.) This module could incorporate the counting javascript stuff and then adds the selection as a comment to the basket. It should also take into account how many calendars are ordered to simplify the process for the customers. 

Am I missing something or any hints how to think this easier? 

I'm working on amending something at the moment that may work for you

The chocolate chooser mod was quite extensive and required tons of core changes. I love it though and my customers enjoy using it as well. 

Getting it to play nicely with option types was a nightmare...

thanks for the plug @burt :)

Matt

On 10/28/2017 at 4:42 AM, mattjt83 said:

The chocolate chooser mod was quite extensive and required tons of core changes. I love it though and my customers enjoy using it as well. 

Getting it to play nicely with option types was a nightmare...

thanks for the plug @burt :)

Was it fully custom or did you work from an addon?

On 10/28/2017 at 11:58 PM, LeeFoster said:

Was it fully custom or did you work from an addon?

fully custom and it took a couple months to get bugs worked through. The shopping cart class and order class were pretty brutal to alter to make it work.

Matt

1 hour ago, mattjt83 said:

fully custom and it took a couple months to get bugs worked through. The shopping cart class and order class were pretty brutal to alter to make it work.

I can imagine. I'm hoping to make something similar using the Customer Product builder as a basis.

1 hour ago, LeeFoster said:

I'm hoping to make something similar using the Customer Product builder as a basis.

It would be folly to use that as a base, especially as you are not a coder and you will therefore learn bad habits of code.

The idea behind it...yes. 
The code...no.

13 minutes ago, burt said:

It would be folly to use that as a base, especially as you are not a coder and you will therefore learn bad habits of code.

The idea behind it...yes. 
The code...no.

The issue with that is as you've said. I'm not a coder.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while but if you are interested here

https://github.com/cupidare/oscommerce_bs-custom-products

is a proposal of what I thought this could be... this is a header module without core code modifications (some data base entries and one entry for the javascript / css) and should run on both unmodified and modified shops based on 

and modified to give the opportunity to create for example a set or - of course- a calendar. The products are then included into the products_comment section. 

= I am not a coder =

please forgive me my hardcoded stuff as it has to work for me - but there should be plenty room for generalization and so on. At the moment it is a mixture of english/german but it should be understandable. There is also no admin area atm ... I am just looking for some review. This is also my first try with github. So please feel free to contribute

If you are interested in the functionality: add one ore more products to the basket here

https://test.f-v-b.com/product_info.php?products_id=27

This is a nice video. 

My aim is to have a module to selct items and connect them to a "master product". In my case a calendar for the chrismas season. There is no such module available without massive core code manipulation... We sell several items which could be selcted and connected to the product without the need of writing it into the comment section by hand in the checkout process. Most of the products we are linking to the set are not in our database either. 

This module is simple but it comes without using option types and modifying classes etc... also here shouldn't be any security concerns as the module only inputs data into the order_comments input field, which is afterwards processed and secured through the standard oscommerce routine. 

If you are trying to understand the functionality please add one or more products to the card. The header module will appear and follow the red button. The printer may be not the best example but as the out-of-the-box products of oscommerce are as they are i didn't find a approbiate product. 

10 hours ago, wHiTeHaT said:

i try to understand the functionality of that what you made, perhaps i not understand it of the way how it is presented.

I just remember long time ago i made this (not finished as the customer never came back for it):

(it was for a business involved in window plastic-frames who need from one product several sizes)... is this doing what you initially want?

admin:

This is kinda what I am looking for.

Archived