Latest News: (loading..)
wHiTeHaT

[VIDEO] Virtual boxes What you think of it?

22 posts in this topic

Intresting idea. I think it could be usefull for static content. For example touch the green color box to show all green product. Could you add a link generator? (oscID sometimes need) I think the language dependencies is missing now but this could be living concept.

It looks good but I don't see the value of it past adding static content.

I'm open to being proven wrong.

25 minutes ago, LeeFoster said:

It looks good but I don't see the value of it past adding static content.

I'm open to being proven wrong.

It isn't just about the static content.

Imagine you want to show oscommerce banners, a product info, a what's new, a special, a slider and this virtual box can let you choose WHATEVER and as how many you want for them. Even on selected pages etc.

The static content is the first proof of concept, before creating virtual boxes wasn't even possible.

Still it can be value able for someone.

But what about?

staticvaluable.thumb.png.52bc5f604a41fde65f07087f852095d6.png 

Can you give a one-paragraph text summary of what these "virtual boxes" are, and what the improvement is by using them? I watched the video, and have no idea what the idea is you're trying to get across.

Imagine you want to show oscommerce banners, a product info, a what's new, a special, a slider and this virtual box can let you choose WHATEVER and as how many you want for them. Even on selected pages etc.

If this is something to change layout and add flexibility to page types, don't forget to take Bootstrap and mobile into account.

14 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

Can you give a one-paragraph text summary of what these "virtual boxes" are, and what the improvement is by using them? I watched the video, and have no idea what the idea is you're trying to get across.

If this is something to change layout and add flexibility to page types, don't forget to take Bootstrap and mobile into account.

Look at the post right above yours, can see an example of how could be used.

There i used a video and below i just copyed some openinghours from another store.... just to give an example.

As mentioned, for now it is just static content.

Perhaps the people who have WYSIWYG editor installed have the most fun of it.

However

it can be extended if you want for example a call-to-action button for a specific category, a specific product.

it can be extended to show up a scrolling/sliding product gallery.

it can be extended to show a banner of a group of benners.

it can be extended to point to another website or other content to your shop

it can be extended to show an RSS feed

it can be extended to choose a specific box lay-out, imagine not show the box title or any other styled variation

I dunno what else, use your imagination.

And this is just for the boxes.

Simply can also be done for the content modules.

Edited by wHiTeHaT

It's a cool idea.

If this goes all the way to the logical conclusion, it could be used to totally replace the boxes, content modules and even pages.

14 minutes ago, burt said:

It's a cool idea.

If this goes all the way to the logical conclusion, it could be used to totally replace the boxes, content modules and even pages.

Now where talking :cool:

beerbee likes this

This would go in Word Press direction

If you can insert HTML and video links like in the example then yes I can see a greater use for it. 

24 minutes ago, burt said:

It's a cool idea.

If this is the case then I'm on board.

1 hour ago, burt said:

It's a cool idea.

That's what I was thinking when Henry first started in on it.  It could be a game changer.

Dan

@wHiTeHaT I don't want to seem stupid. Could those boxes be used to show like video demonstrations of featured products? Like you would see on flat screen TVs in shopping malls.

I assume that would take some extensive coding to fit a video into a smaller area.

Are the virtual boxes code entirely stored in the database or are new module files created? If all in database, can this be enhanced to add separate input fields for language definitions (database fields) and php code? That would mean any content could be created?

The virtual's are installed as a regular box, except it is not multi-language capable at the moment as the title and content are just show up as how you fill the fields.

It could however been altered to allow multi-languages, basically that shouldn't be a big deal.

I just almost finished the system to also serve content_modules, so i can put multi-language support on the next to-do.

raiwa likes this

1 minute ago, wHiTeHaT said:

The virtual's are installed as a regular box, except it is not multi-language capable at the moment as the title and content are just show up as how you fill the fields.

It could however been altered to allow multi-languages, basically that shouldn't be a big deal.

I just almost finished the system to also serve content_modules, so i can put multi-language support on the next to-do.

Do you need any help with testing?

@LeeFoster currently there is nothing need to be tested as it isn't finished yet.

What i would like and everyone can do that, is making templates.

That means.....

In the moment the community editions using template files for boxes. I would like to see various box designs or content module designs.

At the moment i just use the default bootstrap panels to show the box/content_module titles and contents.

But would be nice to have variations for it.

Perhaps i should do it the other way around....

based on a selected template, auto-generate the key's  by the fields the template offers.

So imagine 

<div class="panel panel-default">
	<div class="panel-heading"><?php echo {{title_key}} ?></div>
	<div class="panel-body">
		<strong><?php echo {{body_key}}; ?></strong>
	</div>
	<div class="panel-footer">
		<strong><?php echo {{footer_key}}; ?></strong>
	</div>  
</div>

That when you have choosen THAT template from a selection out of other templates.

That it auto-generates the db entry's

'MODULE_CONTENT_' . $this->title_key . ''

'MODULE_CONTENT_' . $this->body_key. ''

'MODULE_CONTENT_' . $this->footer_key. ''

function install(){

tep_db_query(insert into configuration .............. values(.....key1,key2,key3,etc.........)

}

function keys(){

return ..........

}

Would make it so easy to switch from bootstrap 3 to bootstrap 4 or any other framework... might even use a framework like: https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/default.asp

Edited by wHiTeHaT

When install or even after installed, switch from bootstrap 3 to bootstrap 4 or to W3C.CSS or foundation or one out of this list:
https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/bootstrap-alternatives/

So instead of serving language-packs, now can serve framework packs for the default available place-holders.

As languages should be replaced by the new system anyway.

Edited by wHiTeHaT

Nu word ik toch wel enthousiast zekers !

A big thumbs up from me. Getting the metamodel right is going to be tricky but it's a big step towards giving shop owners much more design choice without touching code. Of course the people who'll really benefit are the template builders. The killer app is going to be the visual editor that sits on the front and lets you interactively redesign your store.

4 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

The killer app is going to be the visual editor that sits on the front and lets you interactively redesign your store.

That is under construction ;)