• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom Attribute & Image Optimization

imusorka

1. Is it possible to have an input field as an attribute instead of the usual drop-down menus? Is there a module for this?

2. Images are killing our load times. All speed tests point to image optimization. What is the best way of doing so to 20,000 files?

I don't know about #1 but I use Kraken.io to optimise images using a script. I'm going to release it as an addon one day maybe. You can test it if you want. Kraken does require a subscription though, $5 a month, but it's worth it.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

Ivan:

1 - The Option Types addon will let you set an attribute to type text, textarea, radio, checkbox, file (dropdown) and image.

2 - Use the KISS image thumbnailer. It creates thumbnails on the fly and its main use, at least for me, is to decrease load time.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@frankl Good one but why would we want to pay monthly for a one-time operation? Are there open-source alternatives?

@Jack_mcs Option Types add-on is too much work for a heavily-modded install. Guess we'll keep it in mind for a future fresh install. As for the KISS thumbnailer, we already use it but image optimization is completely different from serving thumbs. We are talking about compression solutions such as the one mentioned by Frank above.

There is an addon named Imprint Text that just provides an input field. It involves a little less than Option Types to install it though not a great deal, as I recall.

I may not understand what you mean about the images, but the thumbnailer does optimize the images. But the result will be different if you start with an image that 1 MB in size compared to one that is 100 KB.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Think laterally. Cancel after one month.

Even if legal, it's unethical. It's like a woman buying an expensive evening dress, wearing it once to an event, and then returning it to the store ("I didn't quite like the color"). Happens all the time, but that doesn't make it right. The product is priced assuming some sort of monthly subscription (continued payments), and early cancellations result in higher prices for all.

Regarding image optimization, you want to get your images down to the smallest file size you can. There's no point in sending a 4k x 3k image (multimegabyte) if the largest you'll display it at is 200x200! If an image will usually be just a thumbnail, consider sending over only presized thumbnails, and ship full size displays only upon request (using jQuery, AJAX, etc.). If you have a lot of images on one page, consider "lazy loading" (to display before all the images have transferred), or simply giving the explicit size for each image so the browser can reserve space without later reflowing the content.

There may be add-ons already existing for the osC version you use, or you may have to roll your own. You shouldn't have to manually PhotoShop/GIMP each of your 20k images (to resize them) -- there should be scripts you can obtain (or write) to take a whole bunch of image files and bulk process them automagically. There may even be simple utilities to do just resizings, but check their image quality first. Don't forget to preserve your original large images, in case something goes wrong with the downsizing, or you want larger images later (detail is lost when scaling down).

If your image files are already as small as they can be, perhaps it's time to look for a better (faster) host.

I have included this adaptive images script on my site it dynamically creates an ai-cache for the different sizes

http://www.adaptive-images.com/

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived