The e-commerce.

Privacy notice

nikks146

Hello Nikki @nikks146,

edit with a plain text editor the files:

includes/languages/english[your_language]/privacy.php

includes/languages/english[your_language]/shipping.php

etc.

you have to open the files from a local copy in any plain text editor (download/upload via ftp client) or use the file editor in your cPanel. You can not open the files in your browser and edit them.

@nikks146

1) When you install osCommerce, the default language for the store side is English. However, you can install other languages too. This allows you to have your store in different language of your choice, or have it in multiple languages (beyond the scope of this thread). So, when @raiwa said:

57 minutes ago, raiwa said:

edit with a plain text editor the files:

includes/languages/english[your_language]/privacy.php

includes/languages/english[your_language]/shipping.php

he did not *literally* mean includes/languages/english[your_language]/privacy.php

If you only have osC configured for English (the default installation), the actual file would be:

includes/languages/english/privacy.php

If, for example, you had osC configured for German, the file would be:

includes/languages/german/privacy.php

In other words, you would need to substitute the name of the language(s) you are using on the shop side of osC where @raiwa had [your_language].

2) You can use any PLAIN TEXT editor to edit the files. Note: it has to be a PLAIN TEXT editor, such as NotePad or NotePad++, and NOT something like Microsoft Word, or Frontpage, or DreamWeaver.

Do you have osC installed on a local computer, or on a host's server? If you are testing it on a local computer, editing the local files it easy. If you have the files on a host's server, you can either:

a) edit a copy of the file locally, and then upload the edited file to the server, or

b) use some other method to edit the file directly on the host's server. You may be able to do that through your host's cPanel, or use a FTP client such as FileZilla to edit the file while connected to the host's server. FileZilla is also a good program for uploading (and downloading) files to and from the host's server.

Lastly, make backups and copies of EVERYTHING before you start editing files, and more backups as you continue to change anything!

In a different thread, you indicated that you do not know much about HTML, PHP, or CSS. Trying to set up an online store is a challenge, even for experience programmers. While I might suggest an easier 'first project', you can do this if you take it one step at a time. Make extensive notes of everything you do (it's amazing how I can't remember how I did something only a few weeks ago :happy:)

HTH

Malcolm

Hi Thank you for you help and advice, I think I am beginning to get there, I did manage to set up our web site with a lot of trial and error www.vauxhallgreenparts.co.uk , i do however wish I had read your comments earlier especially regarding back up before meddling :-( .  I somehow have a bit 'ecommerce' logo across my shop :-( could you please advise how to deal with it if you have time,

thank you very much

kind regards

Nikki

2 minutes ago, nikks146 said:

I somehow have a bit 'ecommerce' logo across my shop :-( could you please advise how to deal with it if you have time,

Admin -> Configuration -> Store Logo -> Upload your own logo and it will replace the default OsCommerce logo.

2 minutes ago, nikks146 said:

i have done that repeatedly and it is still the same :-(

Make sure your logo is in one of the indicated formats ( .png or .jpg or .gif or .svg ).

It should show on the same admin page once it is correct uploaded.

Try to delete your browsers cache.

If everything fails, rename your logo to "store_logopng or the correct extension for your format, delete: " images/store_logo.gif" and upload your logo to that location.

Archived