• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP

Hi

Can someone tell me please if its OK to use PHP5.6 or later with our current site.

Our website was updated to BS2.3.4 around May 2016, is there any test that can be used as I don't want to migrate to a later PHP version and find the site crashes.

Many thanks

Grandpa

Hi,

Which version are you currently using?

I used PHP 5.6 from a fresh installation of BS 2.3.4 edge beginning of 2017 and recently changed it to PHP 7.1. Everything appears to be functioning perfectly.

Have you tried changing the version and then testing to see if it works? You should be able to change the PHP version in the server settings.

Also, see the following post which may be helpful: 

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

All versions of 2.3.4BS Edge should work on PHP 5.6. I think Gold, too, but I won't swear to it. Only recent releases have been upgraded to work with PHP 7.0, and I'm not sure about 7.1. You may need to either update to the very latest Edge for 7.0 compatibility, or at least compare files and update your store manually. Keep in mind that there have been many releases of "Edge" (with changes)... Gary really fell down by not putting some sort of version number in it, so now there's no way to easily tell them apart.

Is there a concise listing of what new features/fixes are in a given date Edge, without having to download the full package? I'm thinking of being for the benefit of someone on a older release, who wants to see quickly what's been added/fixed since their version, and whether it's worth upgrading.

A release date is certainly as useful as a version number, provided the date is still accessible long after the "packaging" has been thrown away.

3 hours ago, douglaswalker said:

Can I just check that if you go here...

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce

and then scroll down to the Edge:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/master.zip

does that give you the most up to date version of edge?

Downloading the master.zip will always give you Edge.
Commits made after you download...not included...

14 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Is there a concise listing of what new features/fixes are in a given date Edge, without having to download the full package? I'm thinking of being for the benefit of someone on a older release, who wants to see quickly what's been added/fixed since their version, and whether it's worth upgrading.

A release date is certainly as useful as a version number, provided the date is still accessible long after the "packaging" has been thrown away.

Bear in mind that I (we?) evangelise NO CORE CODE CHANGES.

Thus if someone is on an older Edge...they just need to download, upload, overwrite.
Takes 5 minutes.

:laugh: I wish everything did magically update, was always correct, worked across all browsers and was individually what I need..... and every customers order was worth $100,000,000... Could this be incorporated into the next version please. :wink:

Archived