• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changes to how we can get subscribers

ebarrett

Hello Everyone, 

I have recently been told that there has been a change on how we can get subscribers on our site. 

ie. they must click to opt in, not click to opt out. 

I have done some searching online, and on here and i cant see anything to do with this? Could someone let me know if they have heard the same or where i should look to find out more information. 

Thanks in advance! 

E

Have the Newsletter button unticked.  If the customer ticks it, that is tacit acceptance.  For me, it's a bad move to try to underhandedly get people signed up (and in my view, that includes a pre-ticked box).  I do recall seeing something like (on a site, do not remember which site)

[x] tick here to sign up to our newsletter

[x] untick here to not hear from our partners

Or don't use the inbuilt newsletter system at all and instead use something like Mailchimp where all your potential problems vanish...

@evbeej

Good find.  I notice this:

GDPR CLARIFIES THAT AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SIGNALING CONSENT MAY INCLUDE CHECKING A BOX ON A WEBSITE, ‘CHOOSING TECHNICAL SETTINGS FOR INFORMATION SOCIETY SERVICES,’ OR ‘ANOTHER STATEMENT OR CONDUCT’ THAT CLEARLY INDICATES CONSENT TO THE PROCESSING. ‘SILENCE, PRE-TICKED BOXES, OR INACTIVITY,’ HOWEVER, IS NOT ADEQUATE.

So, a pre-ticked tickbox - will be illegal after May 25th 2018.
However, having the customer actively tick a tickbox to sign up is OK and good.

THE GDPR DEMANDS THAT THE RECIPIENT IS PROVIDED WITH ADEQUATE INFORMATION ON HOW THEIR DATA WILL BE USED. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU INTEND TO PROFILE SOMEONE’S DATA TO DETERMINE WHAT OFFERS THEY RECEIVE, YOU MUST NOW TELL YOUR CUSTOMER THAT IS HOW YOU INTEND TO USE THE DATA AND GIVE THEM THE OPPORTUNITY TO OBJECT.

This could be done by a little message at the create_account page or by an entry in sites terms and conditions.

THERE IS NO ALLOWANCE FOR DATA CAPTURED BEFORE GDPR. ONCE THE GDPR COMES INTO PLAY, IF YOU DON’T HAVE SUFFICIENT CONSENT, YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LEGALLY PROCESS THE DATA. IT’S TIME TO BRING ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS’ DATA AND BUSINESS PROCESSES UP TO THE CORRECT STANDARD. 

Ooops, for those shopowners not already using an external service such as sendgrid or mailchimp.  Turn off all your customers on May 25th;

update customers set customers_newsletters = 0;

On 10/6/2017 at 7:21 AM, burt said:

Have the Newsletter button unticked.  If the customer ticks it, that is tacit acceptance.  For me, it's a bad move to try to underhandedly get people signed up (and in my view, that includes a pre-ticked box).  I do recall seeing something like (on a site, do not remember which site)

[x] tick here to sign up to our newsletter

[x] untick here to not hear from our partners

http://dilbert.com/strip/1993-03-26

Any action above and beyond the sale or registration itself should be explicit opt-ins, not chosen unless the customer takes action to select it. It's common sense and common courtesy that customer should not have to untick a box, or tick a box with an "undo our preselection" action (opt out). Oh, wait a minute -- they're not so common anymore, are they? Be careful that you don't abuse the consent the customer gave you to do one thing, to do other things too, even where the law permits.

Interesting thing I read about the Nobel Economics Prize winner today (Thaler). He founded behavioral economics (how people really make their decisions, in a non-rational manner). One of his suggestions is to encourage personal retirement savings by automatically signing up new employees to a retirement savings plan (e.g., 401(k)), making them explicitly opt out of participation if they don't want to. Kind of the opposite of the GDPR mandate, even though saving for retirement is generally considered a smart thing to do (people tend to need a little kick to do it). http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-richard-thaler-nobel-profile-20171009-story.html

• 3 months later...

A couple of years ago the EU change how people opt in or out of things to mainly standardise it through the EU. You needed to have explicit consent so opting in to everything was established. I think you weren't even supposed to pre tick the cheapest shipping option. Now the rules are changing again and GDPR looks to be set to continue messing with peoples personal data ie how it is collected and what is done with it once people have it.

Currently you cannot have anything preselected on your site. People have to choose. There was also something about what the final website button says before completing the sale. You have to let people know that the next step was to pay, or something similar. Read up on the Consumer Contract Regulations (CCR) which superseded the distance selling regulations and sales of goods act. There is also a lot of stuff in there about having terms and conditions on your site and the penalties if you dont. (Something about 14 days for order cancellations and 1 year and 14 days if you have no conditions). You also need a privacy policy which has to explain certain things.

There is lots of information online about all this stuff, you just have to find it, then understand it.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

On 10/9/2017 at 12:45 PM, wHiTeHaT said:

Interesting indeed, in the Netherlands there is a same concept for become organ-donor.

Every time I hear about "opt-out" organ donation permissions, I think about the Liver Donor scene in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life...

Archived