• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installing on PC

mrblond

Hi,

everybody talks about configuring servers and some advanced things.

I'd like to know, is it possible osCommerce to be installed on a personal computer (OS windows 7, for example)?

I'd like firstly to learn, experiment with and develop my online shop and after it is completely ready then to put it on a hosting server.

I've just created my store as a static html site and I'd like to recreate it as a CMS store. 

So? How to proceed? 

If you already have commercial hosting (on the Web), I strongly recommend that you make your test install there, in a private directory (it can even be password protected until you're ready to go live with your store). There are two advantages to this: 1) the configuration is exactly the same, so you won't get any nasty surprises when you try to migrate your store from your PC server to a real server, and 2) you won't be tempted to host your store yourself (on a PC), which is an engraved invitation to hackers to mess with you.

The only time you should think about a *AMPP server on a PC/Mac is if you don't yet have commercial hosting, and want to play a bit before laying out the money, or you require a PHP version for development and testing that your hosting service doesn't yet provide. Either way, never put a live website on a self-hosted server.

mrblond Yes, it is possible. There are a number of packages that make setting up a local server easier, like XAMP, WAMP, EasyPHP and so on.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

You can do it by installing XAMP on your pc and on internet , there are many software same as XAMP. 

if you do want to install XAMP and then you can install separate server software to do that :-

Apache server ( Required )

PHP server - Perl Comes with it. ( Required )

FTP server - (optional )

Mysql Server  ( Required )

Archived