• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Lots of bugs with remove from cart, drop down menus, grid/list buttons, and photo popups. Stock install of BS.

wildvettes

I really wish I knew what was causing the issue and would appreciate any help you can provide. I have a completely stock OSC bootstrap with absolutely no mods or add-ons. I have right around 1000 products listed now and the issues seem to be getting far worse with time. Basically my site is so broken now that it is basically useless. UPDATE: I was able to remove the "navbar" module which is almost completely broken and replace it with the "buttons" module which at least enables the shopping cart to be accessed. 

www.wildvettes.com

When the errors begin the home page url goes to www.wildvettes.com/# (this is the hover url action for the list and grid buttons) and when you click on any of the cart or account buttons on the "navbar" (currently disabled) then no drop-downs appear. If you use the breadcrumb to go back and forth between home and catalog it will eventually start working again until you click on a product and then it will almost certainly break again. (I actually just found out that the "sort" product by name and price option also breaks with "navbar" as well). They all seem to be connected to the same error. Using the sort button is a guaranteed break.

The shopping cart has an issue that seems to relate to products having "attributes" that are added through the oscommerce admin panel under "product attributes". Others mentioned product attributes with {} could cause a problem but even products with just text have the same issues. The only special characters I have in any of the attributes are " / and (). 

When a product has attributes the item cannot be removed from the shopping cart using the red x remove button. It can only be removed by changing the quantity to 0 and refreshing it. Hover url looks like this "http://www.wildvettes.com/shopping_cart.php/products_id/617%7B2%7D83/action/remove_product" When you click the red x on these products it actually redirects to this url and then the red x doesn't even do that from that point forward. Also when any of these products with attributes are added to the cart if you click on the product or the picture instead of taking you back to the product's information page it redirects to the home page with the www.wildvettes.com/# url.  Product example here. http://www.wildvettes.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_17_31/products_id/617

Example of a product that acts like normal in the cart without attributes. http://www.wildvettes.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_17_31/products_id/312

The highlight shows correct url on products without attributes when hovering but the highlight shows the %something after each product with attributes. I am assuming the %7B2%7D83 above relates to the individual attribute for the product. If I go to the url and manually remove the %7B2%7D83 it will display the proper cart message but doesn't actually remove the product with the attributes. I am assuming when you go to click on the product it attempts to load the 617%7B2%7D83 product but it doesn't exist so it directs back to the home page with #. 

The other thing that is occurring is when you get redirected to the home page as an error two things begin happening on the site and they seem to be directly related to each other and may have nothing to do with the shopping cart as I can replicate the problem without ever even using the shopping cart. 

The individual listings have popup pictures that no longer work. Instead of getting a hand over them they merely have a normal curser and they can be right clicked and opened on a separate page. WHEN this error occurs it coincides with the individual product listing categories "Grid/List" View buttons breaking. When the picture popups stop working the list and grid buttons merely redirect back to the home page with the url www.wildvettes.com/#. I can usually tell whether the photos are working before I click on listing because if it defaults to "list" view then everything is broken. If it defaults to "grid" then everything is working until it isn't. 

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what causes the site to break and fix itself. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce the problem from certain listings. The one thing that does seem consistent is if you shop the store the photos popups will break and then you will not be able to switch from list to grid view until the site starts working properly again. 

The issue with the module "navbar" seems to directly coincide with the photo popup and grid/list issue leading me to believe they are all related. The shopping cart issue with the redirect and remove not working seem to be another individual issue. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really frustrated by this issue. 

The %7B2 represents the second line in the "products options" under admin and the %7D84 is the 84th line under "option values" in admin. I suspect there is some kind of an issue here with the URL. I feel like the error relating to going back to the product page would be to tell it to drop the %7B2%7D84 and merely go to the base product.info.php product ID number. Removing it from the cart seems to be more complicated though as it needs to know what to remove given the individual attributes. This has to be a specific issue to the stock bootstrap configuration. 

This sounds like a known problem with some servers being extra-restrictive. The brackets in the url causes them to appear as javascript so they don't work. There is a work-around for this somewhere here but I don't have a link for it. You can search the forums for "brackets in url", or something similar or maybe someone will post a link.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

7 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

This sounds like a known problem with some servers being extra-restrictive. The brackets in the url causes them to appear as javascript so they don't work. There is a work-around for this somewhere here but I don't have a link for it. You can search the forums for "brackets in url", or something similar or maybe someone will post a link.

I can literally just refresh a product page and the image popup will go in and out of working. It can be 2 page refreshes up to 5 before it works again and then only works once before starting the cycle over again. Any idea why is would be so random? You think my host is the issue?

9 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

I went to a few of the "live" sites on this website and each of them seems to use some completely different URL when it comes to product sorting. One site would sort by price or name whether in grid or list. Mine tries to always force it back into list. I actually just tried the refresh on the grid list switch and it is the same thing. So it doesn't really seem to matter whether or not the user is actually doing something. It seems to just work once every 2-5 page loads. 

http://www.wildvettes.com/shopping_cart.php/products_id/617{2}83/action/remove_product

FYI when I copy and past the remove from cart url the above is what gets copied but the line automatically gets changed to

http://www.wildvettes.com/shopping_cart.php/products_id/617%7B2%7D83/action/remove_product

so it does look to be an issue with the brackets being auto adjusted. I couldn't find anything in search though.

2 hours ago, frankl said:

The site worked fne for me apart from the brackets problem. For that, check his thread

I made the changes in that post and it had no impact. Here is my shopping_cart.php after the changes referenced in that post. 

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require("includes/application_top.php");

if ($cart->count_contents() > 0) {
    include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'payment.php');
    $payment_modules = new payment;
  }

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART);

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_top.php');
?>

<div class="page-header">
  <h1><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1>
</div>

<?php
  if ($messageStack->size('product_action') > 0) {
    echo $messageStack->output('product_action');
  }
?>

<?php
  if ($cart->count_contents() > 0) {
?>

<?php echo tep_draw_form('cart_quantity', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, 'action=update_product')); ?>

<div class="contentContainer">
  <div class="contentText">

<?php
    $any_out_of_stock = 0;
    $products = $cart->get_products();
    for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($products); $i<$n; $i++) {
// Push all attributes information in an array
      if (isset($products[$i]['attributes']) && is_array($products[$i]['attributes'])) {
        while (list($option, $value) = each($products[$i]['attributes'])) {
          echo tep_draw_hidden_field('id[' . $products[$i]['id'] . '][' . $option . ']', $value);
          $attributes = tep_db_query("select popt.products_options_name, poval.products_options_values_name, pa.options_values_price, pa.price_prefix
                                      from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS . " popt, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS_VALUES . " poval, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " pa
                                      where pa.products_id = '" . (int)$products[$i]['id'] . "'
                                       and pa.options_id = '" . (int)$option . "'
                                       and pa.options_id = popt.products_options_id
                                       and pa.options_values_id = '" . (int)$value . "'
                                       and pa.options_values_id = poval.products_options_values_id
                                       and popt.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'
                                       and poval.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
          $attributes_values = tep_db_fetch_array($attributes);

$products[$i][$option]['products_options_name'] = $attributes_values['products_options_name'];
          $products[$i][$option]['options_values_id'] = $value;
          $products[$i][$option]['products_options_values_name'] = $attributes_values['products_options_values_name'];
          $products[$i][$option]['options_values_price'] = $attributes_values['options_values_price'];
          $products[$i][$option]['price_prefix'] = $attributes_values['price_prefix'];
        }
      }
    }
?>

<table class="table table-striped table-condensed">
      <tbody>
<?php
    $products_name = NULL;
    for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($products); $i<$n; $i++) {
      $products_name .= '<tr>';

$products_name .= '  <td valign="top" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id'])) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' .
                        '  <td valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id'])) . '"><strong>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</strong></a>';

if (STOCK_CHECK == 'true') {
        $stock_check = tep_check_stock($products[$i]['id'], $products[$i]['quantity']);
        if (tep_not_null($stock_check)) {
          $any_out_of_stock = 1;

$products_name .= $stock_check;
        }
      }

if (isset($products[$i]['attributes']) && is_array($products[$i]['attributes'])) {
        reset($products[$i]['attributes']);
        while (list($option, $value) = each($products[$i]['attributes'])) {
          $products_name .= '<br /><small><i> - ' . $products[$i][$option]['products_options_name'] . ' ' . $products[$i][$option]['products_options_values_name'] . '</i></small>';
        }
      }

$products_name .= '<br>' . tep_draw_input_field('cart_quantity[]', $products[$i]['quantity'], 'style="width: 65px;" min="0"', 'number') . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id[]', $products[$i]['id']) . ' ' . tep_draw_button(NULL, 'fa fa-refresh', NULL, NULL, NULL, 'btn-info btn-xs') . ' ' . tep_draw_button(NULL, 'fa fa-remove', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, ' products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id']) . '&action=remove_product'), NULL, NULL, 'btn-danger btn-xs');

$products_name .= '</td>';

$products_name .= '  <td align="right" valign="top"><strong>' . $currencies->display_price($products[$i]['final_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($products[$i]['tax_class_id']), $products[$i]['quantity']) . '</strong></td>' .
                        '</tr>';
    }
    echo $products_name;
?>

</tbody>
    </table>

<p class="text-right"><strong><?php echo SUB_TITLE_SUB_TOTAL; ?> <?php echo $currencies->format($cart->show_total()); ?></strong></p>

<?php
    if ($any_out_of_stock == 1) {
      if (STOCK_ALLOW_CHECKOUT == 'true') {
?>

<div class="alert alert-warning"><?php echo OUT_OF_STOCK_CAN_CHECKOUT; ?></div>

<?php
      } else {
?>

<div class="alert alert-danger"><?php echo OUT_OF_STOCK_CANT_CHECKOUT; ?></div>

<?php
      }
    }
?>

</div>

<div class="buttonSet">
    <div class="text-right"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CHECKOUT, 'fa fa-angle-right', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'), 'primary', NULL, 'btn-success'); ?></div>
  </div>

<?php
    $initialize_checkout_methods = $payment_modules->checkout_initialization_method();

if (!empty($initialize_checkout_methods)) {
?>
  <div class="clearfix"></div>
  <p class="text-right"><?php echo TEXT_ALTERNATIVE_CHECKOUT_METHODS; ?></p>

<?php
      reset($initialize_checkout_methods);
      while (list(, $value) = each($initialize_checkout_methods)) {
?>

<p class="text-right"><?php echo $value; ?></p>

<?php
      }
    }
?>

</div>

</form>

<?php
  } else {
?>

<div class="alert alert-danger">
  <?php echo TEXT_CART_EMPTY; ?>
</div>

<p class="text-right"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE, 'fa fa-angle-right', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT), 'primary', NULL, 'btn-danger'); ?></p>

<?php
  }

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_bottom.php');
  require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php');
?>

You are on an extremely dated version of the Community Edition.  As this is a blank canvas, my suggestion is to update today to the very latest EDGE version.  This will take not more than 30 minutes (download, overwrite, perform SQL changes).

If you feel like NOT doing that...perform this change.

The "brackets problem" is because your host has mod_security ramped up to paranoid levels.  It can be solved by reading the next few posts from here.

4 hours ago, burt said:

You are on an extremely dated version of the Community Edition.  As this is a blank canvas, my suggestion is to update today to the very latest EDGE version.  This will take not more than 30 minutes (download, overwrite, perform SQL changes).

If you feel like NOT doing that...perform this change.

The "brackets problem" is because your host has mod_security ramped up to paranoid levels.  It can be solved by reading the next few posts from here.

Can you point me to a walk-through on doing the update? I have never done an update and migration before. Do you think that will solve the brackets problem also? 

I would like to re-cap my issues again very easily for those searching and explain what specifically was done and what fixed what. So far the only issue not resolved is the remove from cart button although it does seem to be closer. 

1. Problems with the Home Page "Navbar" dropdown, Problems with the "Grid/List" Buttons on product listing pages, Problems, Problems with the "Sort" dropdown on product listing pages, & Problems with the "ColorBox" image popups on each listing.

These issues were all solved with this change to the Includes/Template_top.php

Remove this line

<script src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.11.1.min.js" async></script>

Replace with this line

<script src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.11.1.min.js"></script>

2. The "Remove From Cart" button in the shopping cart doesn't work when a product has "attributes". Also clicking on the product creates an error and takes you back to the home page instead of the product details page. 

I tried @ShaGGy's fix by changing the following in Shopping_cart.php (THIS DID NOT WORK FOR ME)

Remove 

$products_name .= '  <td valign="top" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' .
                        '  <td valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id']) . '"><strong>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</strong></a>';

Replace with 

$products_name .= '  <td valign="top" align="center"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id'])) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $products[$i]['image'], $products[$i]['name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a></td>' .
                        '  <td valign="top"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id'])) . '"><strong>' . $products[$i]['name'] . '</strong></a>';

Remove

$products_name .= '<br>' . tep_draw_input_field('cart_quantity[]', $products[$i]['quantity'], 'style="width: 65px;" min="0"', 'number') . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id[]', $products[$i]['id']) . ' ' . tep_draw_button(CART_BUTTON_UPDATE, 'fa fa-refresh', NULL, NULL, NULL, 'btn-info btn-xs') . ' ' . tep_draw_button(CART_BUTTON_REMOVE, 'fa fa-remove', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, 'products_id=' . $products[$i]['id'] . '&action=remove_product'), NULL, NULL, 'btn-danger btn-xs');

Replace with 

$products_name .= '<br>' . tep_draw_input_field('cart_quantity[]', $products[$i]['quantity'], 'style="width: 65px;" min="0"', 'number') . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id[]', $products[$i]['id']) . ' ' . tep_draw_button(CART_BUTTON_UPDATE, 'fa fa-refresh', NULL, NULL, NULL, 'btn-info btn-xs') . ' ' . tep_draw_button(CART_BUTTON_REMOVE, 'fa fa-remove', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, ' products_id=' . urlencode($products[$i]['id']) . '&action=remove_product'), NULL, NULL, 'btn-danger btn-xs');

I then tried @Harald Ponce de Leon's recommendation to change these in the catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php and catalog/admin/includes/functions/html_output.php, in the tep_href_link() function definition: (THIS FIXED THE PRODUCT LISTING LINK AND NOW THE "remove from cart" BUTTON REFRESHES AND SAYS THE ITEM HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM CART EVEN THOUGH IT IS STILL IN THE CART). 

Remove

if (tep_not_null($parameters)) {
      $link .= $page . '?' . tep_output_string($parameters);
      $separator = '&';
    } else {
      $link .= $page;
      $separator = '?';
    }

Replace with

$p = array();
      $query = parse_str($parameters, $p);
      $parameters = http_build_query(filter_var($p, FILTER_CALLBACK, ['options' => 'urlencode']));

$link .= $page . '?' . tep_output_string($parameters);
      $separator = '&';
    } else {
      $link .= $page;
      $separator = '?';
    }

I also tried this and it also DID NOT WORK.

try this in both catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php and catalog/admin/includes/functions/html_output.php:

Directly after the "global $.." line in the tep_href_link() function definition, add the following "if" statement:

function tep_href_link(.....) {
    global $.....;

$p = array();
      $query = parse_str($parameters, $p);
      $parameters = http_build_query(filter_var($p, FILTER_CALLBACK, ['options' => 'urlencode']));
    }

}

So that still leaves me with a non-working remove from cart button. :(

@wildvettes

Its look like as superglobals doesnt work.
Test the following if you can do it:
1. create an edge new database on your site
2. install latest edge version into a test catalog and use the new edge database
3. after installation put video card into the cart and try to delete

If its work then you have to change all $HTTP_GET_VARS to superglobal $_GET variable... or use the latest edge version.
If it doesnt work then consult your host to enable {} signs in your url... or migrate to another site where no security mess.

There is no another ways.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

38 minutes ago, Gergely said:

@wildvettes

Its look like as superglobals doesnt work.
Test the following if you can do it:
1. create an edge new database on your site
2. install latest edge version into a test catalog and use the new edge database
3. after installation put video card into the cart and try to delete

If its work then you have to change all $HTTP_GET_VARS to superglobal $_GET variable... or use the latest edge version.
If it doesnt work then consult your host to enable {} signs in your url... or migrate to another site where no security mess.

There is no another ways.

@Gergely A brand new install of edge has the exact same error on my server. So new server or nothing?

Is there a way to just get it to dump the entire cart?

http://www.liftingpads.com/catalog/

clean fresh install: this product with attributes does the same thing. Clearly this is an issue with oscommerce and some web hosts and someone wouldn't know until they actually spent a bunch of time building a store only to find out they are going to lose customers over a shopping cart frustration. 

http://www.liftingpads.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1

@wildvettes Damien...you might have seen this already but if not there is a good thread here that explains the issue in detail and also contains an excellent post by @Jack_mcs on the likelihood of this getting fixed and whether or not this will become a major problem in the future.  

As @Gergely  suggested you should take this up with your host and see what they can do to help you out.  BTW, are you using the same host others reported the problem with...I think ipower was mentioned in the thread I referenced.  Is that where your site is hosted?

Dan

4 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

@wildvettes Damien...you might have seen this already but if not there is a good thread here that explains the issue in detail and also contains an excellent post by @Jack_mcs on the likelihood of this getting fixed and whether or not this will become a major problem in the future.  

As @Gergely  suggested you should take this up with your host and see what they can do to help you out.  BTW, are you using the same host others reported the problem with...I think ipower was mentioned in the thread I referenced.  Is that where your site is hosted?

Dan

@Dan Cole No I am currently using Ipage and it has been 24 hours now without even an update to my ticket. Last night the "chat tech" kept trying to get me to give him my admin location and login information like he was going to fix the issue from my admin panel. :dry:

I did see that post and wish there was some way to know which hosts won't work. I just wish I had known before getting hundreds of hours into this shop and have to probably spend more time trying to migrate and get my domains, ssl, sitelock etc moved over without eating more money. 

1 hour ago, wildvettes said:

@Dan Cole No I am currently using Ipage and it has been 24 hours now without even an update to my ticket. Last night the "chat tech" kept trying to get me to give him my admin location and login information like he was going to fix the issue from my admin panel. :dry:

I did see that post and wish there was some way to know which hosts won't work. I just wish I had known before getting hundreds of hours into this shop and have to probably spend more time trying to migrate and get my domains, ssl, sitelock etc moved over without eating more money. 

I just did a whois on ipower and ipage and it looks like they are one and the same....go figure.

Dan

13 hours ago, wildvettes said:

@Gergely A brand new install of edge has the exact same error on my server. So new server or nothing?

Is there a way to just get it to dump the entire cart?

You can do it but I dont suggest to sculp oscommerce to another shop standard system.

in application_top.php you could find the critical point:

$cart->remove($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']);

$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] is not well coded due to server security options. You can decode it as you want of course.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Here's your problem, I'm sure you won't mind me being blunt.  You've read too many posts and listened to too many chefs.  You have overcooked your dinner. You are now at a point where no-one (yourself included) knows what you have done.

Take the time today to update to Edge, and NOTHING MORE. 
At that point, you can then work on the one and only correct solution for your hosts paranoia.

There is no how to update walkthru.  Just download Edge, upload it to live, and run the SQL.  Done.
Cannot perform it?  Get someone who is able, to do that for you.

Yes, I read that he has the same problem on Edge. 

However...he has destroyed the core concept of NO CODE CHANGES...and so no-one knows where his real site stands right now. 

Hence...anyone giving advice is completely wasting their time, as well as completely wasting his time.  

7 hours ago, wHiTeHaT said:

am I see that % and {} unsafe? Then url encoded brackets unsafe again.

{} => %7B%7D

9 hours ago, burt said:

Here's your problem, I'm sure you won't mind me being blunt.  You've read too many posts and listened to too many chefs.  You have overcooked your dinner. You are now at a point where no-one (yourself included) knows what you have done.

Take the time today to update to Edge, and NOTHING MORE. 
At that point, you can then work on the one and only correct solution for your hosts paranoia.

There is no how to update walkthru.  Just download Edge, upload it to live, and run the SQL.  Done.
Cannot perform it?  Get someone who is able, to do that for you.

@burt I ran a bone stock install and it did the exact same thing. See the above post. So let's do this. I have the bone stock edge site with the same issues. What exactly should I do to fix that without any CORE CODE changes? I'm all ears. 

"bone stock" meaning the very latest osC 2.3.4BS Edge (direct from GitHub), and not Gold or some other earlier version someone had cached? What PHP version? Server? MySQL? Unfortunately, without version numbers, it's difficult to tell what version of Edge you're actually at.

You should be able to migrate your data (including the database) to the latest Edge without much effort, so you won't lose any work or customer data.

If you're already at the latest Edge, and the problem boils down to { } in the Query String, per the other discussion you'll have to either URLencode the string (which works, but looks ugly), or replace { } with . . or something else. I don't know when Gary or Harald are ever going to get around to doing that.

Archived