• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4BS-G Blank Info and ISE product pages

2.3.4BS-G Blank Info pages and Internal Server Error product pages

Host says no updates have been made on their end

I have not done any mods in many months.

I have just:

Added a new category

Added 2 new products to that cat

unknowingly uploaded .JFIF images (thanks for the update microsoft!). Discovered I had no images on the new products, found and fixed the regedit issue.

Was unable to delete .jfif thru FTP file does not exist, I have removed them now.

Found I could no longer add an image folder thru new product and images would not upload to the default image folder.

No time to look into it, site is working at this time.

Two days later I have time to look into it, get blank page for admin, blank main, ISE on product pages.

Site setup is:

Olddomain.c o m

Olddomain.c o m(no longer used)/newdomain. c o m  

Olddomain.c o m/newdomain. c o m/othershop1. c o m  

Olddomain.c o m/newdomain. c o m/othershop2. c o m

All three shops have the same problem.

What should I be looking for and where?

Thanks

Hi,

after a backup you could try to remove the new products and category manually via phpmyadmin from db but it's not very likely that this will help.

Have you looked at the permissions of files/folders via ftp as you said you couldn't upload images anymore?

15 hours ago, Big Bear said:

found and fixed the regedit issue.

What did you mean with that?

Best regards

Christoph

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

Does that mean you were editing PHP files? If so, I'll bet you left a blank or empty line at the beginning or end of one or more .php files. That will give you a 500 error.

I hadn't touched any BS files in months.

regedit = registry editor on windows OS
I recently allowed a windows 10 update on my laptop.
Googled my .jfif delema and found this on CNET:

JPEGs downloaded stored as JFIF
by ptharago / June 26, 2017 11:12 AM PDT

I discovered this happened as a result of the windows creator update. Every jpeg file identified by the browser as a jpeg when it is downloaded from the web is saved by windows 10 creator as a JFIF file which nearly nothing recognises. However I started a command window navigated to the offending files and using the ren command renamed the files to end with jpg and they now work correctly and will be opened by everything as normal. I t would be very easy to write a little batch file to do this for multiple files if the probel is a big issue. But who knows what Microsoft were dreaming about. I have tried 3 different browsers and behaviour is in all 3.

Collapse -
Answer
Win10 Solution
by Vic121 / August 21, 2017 5:57 PM PDT

Open regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

MIME

DATABASE

Content type

image/jpeg

change "extension" value to .jpg

Close regedit, done.

5 hours ago, beerbee said:

after a backup you could try to remove the new products and category manually via phpmyadmin from db but it's not very likely that this will help.

Have you looked at the permissions of files/folders via ftp as you said you couldn't upload images anymore?

I did check the permissions and also checked the dates of when the files were last modified to make sure I hadn't been hacked.

The only folder and files with a recent date were the images.

The first product I added the new folder was created and .jfif images uploaded. No more after that.

I always back up my DB before I start working on my shops so off to delete those products.

I deleted the 2 products, descriptions, options etc and the new category.

No luck there.

I will restore my DB later and see what that does for me. Then load my backup files if the DB restore doesn't work.

This might be all dumb questions:

So are you running your Osc installations on a Windows server?

Can you get php to throw (show) errors?

Or if you simply try to look at the source code of blank pages is there delivered anything?

Best regards

Christoph

1 hour ago, beerbee said:

So are you running your Osc installations on a Windows server?

Can you get php to throw (show) errors?

Or if you simply try to look at the source code of blank pages is there delivered anything?

Hmmm, was on apache last I checked now debian

Can't get php to do anything

source code is also a blank page

I finally found a debug script that would run and I found:

My host changed the path to my root documents yet on multiple contacts with them they insisted they didn't change anything on their end.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:17 PM, Big Bear said:

Hmmm, was on apache last I checked now debian

Just for the record, Apache is a web server than runs on many platforms, including Linux and Windows. Debian is a particular distribution of Linux (a platform) that requires a web server (such as Apache) to run on top of it (if you want to serve pages).

6 hours ago, Big Bear said:

on multiple contacts with them they insisted they didn't change anything on their end.

Oh yeah, they'll do that every time. Never trust a host's tech support -- they don't know what they're doing half the time, and the other half they're flat out lying. Sounds like the gummit!

Archived