• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Category Box (Left Column) OSC 2.2 -> 2.3BS

Pelvis

Hi to all OsC friends!
I try to implement the Category Box menu from OsC 2.3BS (usually in the left column) in a shop with an old version of OsC 2.2.
Can someone who knows the new code briefly explain the basic differences I have to pay attention to, because by copying all the new modul BS code in the old OsC 2.2 the menu does not appear to me.

@Pelvis

I interpret your question as "How can I adapt the Category Box from osC BS to osC 2.2. If this is your question, it begs the question: Why you are trying to upgrade an osC 2.2 site?

If this is not your question (ie, you want to adapt the Category Box from osC 2.2 to osC BS), please explain what you are trying to do, and why the stock osC BS Category Box isn't doing what you need.

Malcolm

Malcom! ...you are old here in the forum :-)
You said: Why you are trying to upgrade an osC 2.2 site?
You mean I have to stay with a non responsive shop?
My shop is so much hard & custom coded.
I don't have another choice ...I do it step by ste and its going well.
can you help explain the basic differences between the old categories and the new BS.
Any help would be appreciated.

@Pelvis

As others will no doubt tell you, trying to maintain a osC 2.2 site, with all of the changes necessary as hosts roll out new versions of PHP, etc., will result in your own branch of osC which no one else will be able to help you with. IMHO, while it will not be a trivial, the time and effort spent in importing your data into a new site will, in the long run, be much better than continuing to patch your osC 2.2 site. Plus, you gain many other new features, such as responsiveness, modularity, etc.

That said, if you still wish to go your way, I'd suggest downloading the latest 'standard' version of osC (2.3.4.1), and examine how the boxes (left and right) work as compared to your osC 2.2 site.

Is there a specific feature in the BS Categories box that you want in your store? There may be add-ons still available for the 'standard' 2.3.4 version that can offer all sorts of additional features.

HTH

Malcolm

Malcolm :-)
With all due respect to your person and the time you dedicate to me but in my case you are not right.
Surely in other cases, this is the right advice but not in my case.
The necessary upgrades have been made to the code to be compatible with the new PHP versions and future PHP versions.
So why should I start to build a new house from start.
But let's say I do what all developers ...so easy say here.
I start off with new bases and rebuild the custom things that gathered for 15 years now.
After a year or two, I'll go again in the same situation with a core code mixture that will not be automatically upgraded, and I will again recommend starting from scratch with the new.
My only problem is in the responsive Frontend not the admin and that's what I'm going to upgrade its almost 50% done.
And finally, if a user starts with the non-official version again, they will sure have trouble in the future because he is making things on non-official bases that will not be able to be easy upgraded again to the official version.

The Hardware Engineers say ..."if something works do not change it do not touch it let it work don't worry".
The Doctors say ..."do not intervene surgically in something that does not bother you and does not hurt you".

...so so I have been reconciled with the idea that I will always have "my version" store totally custom coded, only the skeleton is OsC .
can you help explain the basic differences between the old categories and the new BS.
Any help would be appreciated.

@Pelvis

I understand your position, and respect your choice.

To address your specific question,

9 hours ago, Pelvis said:

While I have not worked with osC 2.2 (I may have touched it once many years ago), as far as I know, the way categories (and products) are displayed in the box (left or right) has not really changed, other than the changes necessary for the adaptation of the bootstrap framework.

So, I'll ask again ... what are you trying to do? Are you trying to change the category structure (the underlying code and database structure), or how the categories are displayed within a box? If the later, can you explain exactly how you want them displayed? Can you give an example?

Malcolm

Archived