• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Update email adresses for orders if customer does meanwhile

Hi,

I noticed the following: If a customer updates his email address he will still get status updates for orders to the one that is saved with his orders. Don't know if this is intended as e.g. customers would not receive tracking numbers etc. anymore.

Best regards

Christoph

Who knows about real life, i don't :wink:. But its possible anyway that a customer might change to a different email account totally discarding his old one while having an order pending. I think its not very important myself, something I stumbled over, but from a customers view I would expect to have contact information updated accordingly.  Nevermind.

Best regards

Christoph

If I notified a store that I was changing my email address (through proper channels), I would certainly expect that any pending orders would change to the new email address. There should normally be only one email address stored for a customer (as part of the customer data), rather than an address stored for each order. Does osC store multiple copies? That would be called unnormalized data. I suppose that it's possible that additional email addresses might be stored for an order, such as a gift recipient's, but I don't think they should replace the primary email address.

Don't forget that a notification of change should be sent to the old email address, just in case someone had done this change maliciously. Then you have a chance to manually change it back to the correct (old) address.

Email addresses for an order are stored with the order, so if a customer changes their email address in the system in the meantime any status updates for the order will go to their old email address. 

In real life, we have had businesses change the email address for their account when someone new takes over, and it is more useful to segregate orders made with different email addresses.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

I was thinking of of a function on the orders page which would compare the email which is stored with the order and the one in the customers data, putting out a warning if different and giving the option to send status update to the new one or to update email data for that order. But I guess it does not happen so often so I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Best regards

Christoph

15 hours ago, beerbee said:

Nevermind.

My comment above is not meant as "end of conversation".  Simply that I could not see the situation happening in real life use...

However, I am not a user of osCommerce other than as a customer of some shops.

Shopowners know their own demographic far better than anyone else does, so if there is a need for such a thing...it can be coded.

Hi Burt,

4 minutes ago, burt said:

My comment above is not meant as "end of conversation"

I didn't get it that way, I think myself it is not something which happens often. As I said just stumbled upon it. May I'll try someday with my humble abilities.

Best regards

Christoph

Archived