• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ingexing of multi-page products pages

rudolfl

Hi all,

Default way of displaying products on site is by showing number of products, then show links to pages.

But I also found Google is recommending using <link rel="prev"> and <link rel="next> on product pages to help indexing.

Is it really required or Google is quite happy with just links to different pages as in osCommerce implementation?

Thanks,

Rudolf

"prev" and "next" are most useful if the pages are closely related (e.g., parts 1 through 5 of a single article). It would not be useful for unrelated product pages. Would products in the same category be "closely enough" related? You're on the page for the 5/8" open end wrench, and the "prev" page is 9/16" and the "next" page is 11/16"?

I vaguely recall discussion about such links a year or two ago (maybe longer) -- if you haven't done so already, search this forum for them.

There are several addons for older versions of oscommerce that did this and worked really well. I used to have one on my older store but cannot for the life of me think of the name. It gave the option of having the previous and next buttons at the top, bottom or both on the products info page. Whether one could be converted to work with the latest version I have no idea.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived