• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

'Buy Now' or 'Add to Cart' buttons

ArtcoInc

I think Amazon just has "Add to Cart". As I've said before, "Buy Now" means to me "I'm buying this immediately [perhaps on impulse], take me directly to checkout to give shipping instructions and make payment, then exit the store". "Add to Cart" means to me "put it in my shopping cart/basket/trolley, I'm considering buying other stuff too. At the end, I'll declare I'm done and ask to go to checkout". Use one or the other to mean "add to cart", but "Add to Cart" is preferred, as it's clear that you intend to keep shopping. You certainly don't want to mix the two phrases -- use one or the other. It's possible to have both, with two very different functions, but (as I've said), be careful about unpleasant interactions that might lead to unwanted double purchases (e.g., adding it to the cart and then buying now), or losing the cart contents on Buy Now.

eBay has long had two purchase modes: entering an auction bid and Buy It Now to make an immediate purchase at the (higher) asking price. I think that's what formed my thinking on the matter.

15 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

eBay has long had two purchase modes: entering an auction bid and Buy It Now to make an immediate purchase at the (higher) asking price. I think that's what formed my thinking on the matter.

Just to pour more fuel on the fire...

eBay now has an "add to cart" feature.  I didn't actually realise this until I had bought from 4 different sellers in one go, and had to then send back 3 items.

Archived