• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4 to 2.3.4.1?

drillsar

No, that version just has some bug fixes, as I recall.  Harold said he would release a new version soon and that the existing 2.3.4 and BS shops would be upgradable to it.  That will probably break your shop since addons in it were installed by editing core files. The problems can be fixed, of course, but you may find it not worth it and just to start over anyway. The big unknown is when the new version will be released. if it is tomorrow then you can afford to wait. If it won't be for another year, you will be hurting your shop since it is not mobile-ready, unless you have done something to it to make it so.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you're already running on v2.3.4 without any issues, there is no need to update to v2.3.4.1. It would be better to update to v2.3.5 to apply the latest security fixes, compatibility fixes, and bug fixes. You will also have the option to update to v2.3.6 when you're ready to move to the bootstrap series.

v2.3.5 will not break compatibility with existing addons - it's a maintenance release that will finalize the v2.3.4 release series and is planned to be the last release of this series.

v2.3.6 may break compatibility with existing v2.3.4 addons due to moving to bootstrap. The 2.3.6 version label will be added to the Apps Marketplace once it's released so updated addons and Apps can be clearly labelled.

:heart:, osCommerce

2 hours ago, Harald Ponce de Leon said:

The 2.3.6 version label will be added to the Apps Marketplace once it's released so updated addons and Apps can be clearly labelled.

Smart move Harald.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

The way I'm reading Harold's reply is that 2.3.5 will not be mobile-ready. Regarding the bootstrap and addons, any of the old addons can be made to work with the BS version, though it can be difficult with some of them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

Does 2.3.4.1 support PHP 7 or not? I thought "no", but Harald PM'd me asking what the problem was with PHP 7 and why I was cautioning against using 2.3.4.1. Is it at least up to PHP 5.6? Is PHP compatibility the only "bug fix" in this release, and is it complete and working well? The lack of information leaves me no choice but to keep recommending 2.3.4BS Edge, which I will continue to do until this issue is resolved.

v2.3.4.1 is a hotfix release that addresses compatibility with PHP 7 and MySQL 5.7. This is the changelog for the release:

* Improve detection of MySQLi during setup.

* Update session handler functions to return correct return value types.

* Ignore E_DEPRECATED PHP notices.

* Set empty MySQL sql_mode for compatibility across MySQL versions.

:heart:, osCommerce

• 5 months later...

If you're already running on v2.3.4 without any issues, there is no need to update to v2.3.4.1.

My web host is demanding I upgrade to 2.3.4.1, pretty sure just because it is listed as an updated version. Can anyone tell me exactly what files would need to be updated to go from 2.3.4 to 2.3.4.1?  I have a lot of customization, including mobile version, and do not want to start over at the moment.

thank you!

The version your host is suggesting is also out of date.  You should update to the latest version...EDGE.  You'll find the link in my signature file and it is already mobile friendly. 

Dan

@GetSirius

I can't imagine that a reputable host would demand that you "upgrade" your site. That said ...

They *might* be planning to upgrade their version of PHP to 7.x, and anticipate that your store will have problems. Do note that 2.3.4.1 is also old (see @Dan Cole's post above), and does not guarantee to run under PHP 7.x

If you truly wish to "upgrade" your site to v 2.3.4.1, you're going to have to use a file compare program, such as WinMerge, to compare all of the files in the 2.3.4.1 package with all of the files from your shop. Do note that all of your customization will show as a file difference, so you will have to know what's a 2.3.4.1 change, and what's a customization change.

Now, if all you are trying to do is get your host off your back, you can edit the /catalog/includes/version.php file to say 2.3.4.1 (not that I'd suggest such a thing <wink>). This won't make it run under PHP 7.x, though.

Although you don't want to hear it, the best option is to invest the time to move your store to Edge.

HTH

Just to clarify matters (I hope), if you are currently on osC 2.3.4, it will break if and when your host upgrades to PHP 5.6 or higher. Note that PHP 7.1 is considered "current". The "official" osC 2.3.4.1 is better than 2.3.4, but it's not really PHP 7 compatible. I strongly disagree with HPDL, in that simply turning off "deprecated" warnings is asking for trouble. It's like your ship had a torpedo tear a huge hole under the waterline, and you're simply going to drape a large plastic sheet over it, crank up the bilge pump, and continue sailing around the world!

The unofficial (community-supported) osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge is really PHP 7.0 (7.1?) compatible, and has mobile built-in (in addition to many other fixes and enhancements). In the long run, you'll spend less time and effort installing this one and migrating your data over, than trying to fix up an old 2.3.4 (or even 2.3.4.1).

• 2 months later...

@Harald Ponce de Leon I currently using 2.3.4.1 and would like to migrate to 2.3.6 ( bootstrap version of osCommerce). Is there any indication of a release date? I noticed that other 'bootstrap-proof' versions are offered (see earlier posts), but would to stick to the 'official' release if possible, to avoid going through multiple upgrades/adaptations.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis, there is no osC 2.3.5 or osC 2.3.6, and most likely there will never be. If you want bootstrap (mobile-friendly), install (and migrate your data to) the community-supported osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen.

@MrPhil @Harald Ponce de Leon I am bit confused what you mean by 

and most likely there will never be.

Has the development of these 'official' versions 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 come to a halt? Will the next available stable version be just 2.4.0? And when will it approximately be relreased? With boostrap (3 or 4)?

I already got the community-supported osC from https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/releases/tag/2341-Frozen

Converting my current 2.3.4.1 osC will be no small task. So I am just wondering what's the best way to go, without wasting to much time.

Harald promised them almost a year ago, and no word since. He himself hasn't been heard from for 4 months or so, but there are several people who say he's planning to return. Maybe he's still working on 2.4, maybe he's not. Personally, for me, the proof is in the pudding: either he shows up soon and starts releasing code, or he doesn't. I don't know why he's been absent, but whatever the reason, it's really killing osC. I'm not going to count on any more releases from him.

Regarding the conversion from official 2.3.4.1, the new Frozen code should be installed and tested, then you migrate over your database and product files. Then you decide what add-ons are still needed (whether BS-ready or needing conversion), what's built in now and only needs configuration, and what custom work you will need.

Archived