• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Constant Probing of index.php

mhsuffolk

In "Who's Online" I am seeing single IPs, many times in the course of 30 minutes, going no further than accessing site but they go nowhere else.

Example: 00:04:32 0 Guest 97.80.197.30 11:55:57 11:55:57 / 

I presume the forward slash means they just go to index.php and no further

Should I be concerned

Martin

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

If they are visitors to your site that are clicking away for some reason, it might indicate a problem with your site not being able to keep them. You can look in your google webmaster tools account or AWStats in your control panel if it is available for additional details. I don't recall if who's online tracks all of the clicks of a visitor so, if not, it might be that they are clicking around and you don't see it. You may also want to check the IP to see who some of there are. If they are all from a particular, foreign, country, they may be hackers.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

whois says that IP address is from Charter Communications (an ISP), somewhere in the US. It could well be an individual user (i.e., potential customer) having trouble accessing your store, or it could be an attack of some sort. Before reporting them to Charter, do you do anything to restrict or redirect visitors from outside of Britain?

23 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

whois says that IP address is from Charter Communications (an ISP), somewhere in the US. It could well be an individual user (i.e., potential customer) having trouble accessing your store, or it could be an attack of some sort. Before reporting them to Charter, do you do anything to restrict or redirect visitors from outside of Britain?

No. I have a few customers in the Germany, The Netherlands, and Australasia. I have no trade in the USA, my product is of no interest there. My site is receiving the usual amount of orders.

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

Well, if they keep probing, and it's starting to interfere with the normal operation of your site (or are using up too many resources), report them to Charter and ask that they be taken down. That'll probably scare them straight. Also talk to your host about any ways for them to be blocked further upstream than your .htaccess.

Archived