• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google webmaster duplicate content

Psytanium

Hello,

I have meta tags duplicates in Google Webmaster Tools, all duplicates are like this :

/product_info.php/apple-ipod-touch-16gb-space-gray-mkh62-p-9050
/product_info.php?products_id=9050

I have SEO URL5 ultimate installed, I don't know but i think it's the reason why Google detect 2 pages of the same product, the real URL and its redirection.

Any suggestions ? should I disallow ?products_id=* in robot.txt ??

Google won't punish you for the duplicate meta tags warnings so that is not an issue. But SEO 5 should be issuing a 301 for the stock url. That may not work with the rewrite method you are using but you should ask in the SEO 5 support thread to be sure. I don't use it so I can't say.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Did you have the non-SEO URLs around long enough to be indexed? Maybe the real complaint from Google is that you have two different URLs pointing to the same page. You might need to do something to manually remove the old (dynamic) URLs, or just simply let them age out of the index. Ordering a recrawl might help.

Your SEO code (in .htaccess) should not be doing a 30x redirect from SEO form to old form. It should be a simple rewrite. Check that you're not implying a 302 redirect by giving http: or https: and the domain in the rewrite, just the directory.

11 hours ago, Psytanium said:

Hello,

I have meta tags duplicates in Google Webmaster Tools, all duplicates are like this :

/product_info.php/apple-ipod-touch-16gb-space-gray-mkh62-p-9050
/product_info.php?products_id=9050

I have SEO URL5 ultimate installed, I don't know but i think it's the reason why Google detect 2 pages of the same product, the real URL and its redirection.

Any suggestions ? should I disallow ?products_id=* in robot.txt ??

No, there's no need to do that. If you have installed the addon correctly, then there's nothing further needed to do. There will be a period where both old and new URLs are in the index. It can take many months for Google to clean up it's index.

2 hours ago, Psytanium said:

Almost all my pages, products, manufacturers and categories are fully indexed. So as a conclusion I should wait few months for Google to get things done by itself ?

Yes. It's normal to see duplicates for a while after installing SEO URLs. Even a small drop in performance can be experienced while old and new URLs occur in the index. It's takes a while for search engines to consolidate the change.

3 hours ago, Psytanium said:

Almost all my pages, products, manufacturers and categories are fully indexed. So as a conclusion I should wait few months for Google to get things done by itself ?

The time it takes is how long it takes google. They probably scan your site everyday but not all of the pages at once. As soon as they visit one of the pages that has been rewritten, assuming SEO 5 is working correctly, they will change their records. That means all of the links could be completed tomorrow or not until next year or anytime in between. But, as mentioned previously, it's a non-issue and not anything to be concerned about.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived