• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Server Downtime - How did you experience it?

Hi All..

Our websites were scheduled to go offline this past night due to moving to a new datacentre. The servers came back online earlier than planned and during the downtime, all requests were being forwarded to another server hosting a status maintenance page.

Did anyone experience a total blackout instead of being forwarded to the status maintenance page?

We'll need to take down our websites again in the coming weeks for around 30 minutes when the forum software is updated to the latest version. There are some code changes to perform here with the user account integration between our websites and the updated forum software version, and rather than serve a broken login process, the websites will be briefly taken offline. We'll have a failover ip address setup later this year to allow us to serve a maintenance page when needed rather than relying on DNS changes.

Everything was configured fine and in time so I hope no one was being served a "server not reachable" browser message.

Kind regards,

:heart:, osCommerce

Perfect!

The DNS ttl cache was changed from 8 hours to 5 minutes. This was needed to redirect the requests to a different IP address. The DNS record was updated about half an hour earlier to give it extra time to propagate world wide. The IP addresses were then restored back on the DNS record when the servers came back online and it shouldn't have taken longer than 5 minutes to take affect world wide.

This step won't be needed with a failover IP address as the network stack would take care of that automatically in the background.

:heart:, osCommerce

I haven't problem for me. i saw the website was under maintenance.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Archived