• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

oscom v2.2 ms2 upgrade needed

mrawson22

I am new to the board, so please let me know if I posted in the wrong area.  My friend has the following- running the following- PHP 5.2,oscom version 2.2 ms2  He had been told that if he does not upgrade his code or PHP by this week they are going to shutdown his site.  Is there a simple process to upgrade?  Do we just upgrade PHP to 5.6 or 7?  Do we just update our oscom version?  Is there a lot of issues with upgrading?  Should I just toss the site and move all the products over to something new?

First no site should be running on any PHP level less than 5.6. Everything earlier than that is dangerously obsolete.

Given that osC 2.2 cannot run on PHP 5.6 without massive fixes, your friend's best bet is to install osC 2.3.4BS Edge (community supported, on GitHub) and migrate the database to the new level. It's not rocket science, but needs to be done carefully and methodically to avoid problems. Any add-ons or custom code modifications will have to be replicated in some manner.

if he does not upgrade his code or PHP by this week they are going to [shut down] his site

In reality, they will take away PHP 5.2 and give him PHP 5.6, and his site will start throwing lots of errors. Jackboots aren't going to come marching in and erase his site -- his host will just upgrade PHP and his site will stop working.

It's always dangerous to get lazy and not keep your site code upgraded, as PHP is constantly being upgraded.

@mrawson22

Mark, the newest version of osC has a lot going for it, It is mobile friendly (your customers can use their phones or tablets), and PHP 7 ready. However, it's not a simple 'in-place' upgrade. As @MrPhil said, you would install the new version along side of your existing store, migrate the database, and add any add-ons and/or themes you wish. If you do not feel you are up to this, post a request for a quote in the commercial area of this forum.

If you move your store to another shopping cart, you will be starting over from scratch.

HTH

Malcolm

• 4 months later...

JenH - This thread explains the upgrade process. If you have experience with making changes it is not too difficult. Otherwise someone will need to handle it for you.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived