• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie upgrading from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2

IsaacDesigner

HI Guys,

Trying to bring our website up to date, but would like to do it gradually, so will be going from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 to avoid any disruptions.

What should I expect? just download the corresponding update package, hit OK and watch it do its thing? or does it require me to do anything in particular?

Any guidance will be of great help, I have already downloaded the correct package, so will be waiting for any feedback, thanks!

That isn't the recommended thing to do. You need to jump right to the Bootstrap version. See this thread for how to do that. The reason you need to do this is two-fold:

1 - It is the only version that is mobile-ready, which is a must nowadays.

2 - There's no easy upgrade from the version you are working towards and the Bootstrap version so after all of your work, the site will still not be mobile-ready.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

i agree with Jack_mcs The best solution is the osC 2.3.4 Bootstrap Responsive. All other stuff is nonsens.

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

Thanks again Jack_mcs.

So I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it and uploaded all those files into a "test folder" (new location) in my sub-directory.

When I visit it displays the "Welcome to osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4" screen; on the left side there is a column titled "Server Capabilities", and all are "thumbs up", except for PHP Version, which indicates mine to be 5.2.17.

I understand that I can upgrade it via the "cPanel" (WebHostingBuzz is our hosting service), but which PHP Version should I select?, and would selecting it mess with my actual running site?

As per the database goes, I see I have three active; how do I know which one is my running site actually using -unless it is using all; in any case, already backed them all up and are safely stored, just have to figure out how to update my PHP Version and upgrade the databases as well.

Again, thanks for the help!

;-]#

The minimum php version it will work with it 5.4 but it will work with php 7 so choose the highest version your host offers.  But keep in mind that if you have an older, live, shop on the same server, raising the php version may break it.

For the database, look in the includes/configure.php file. The database being used will be showing there. The shop only uses one database.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

10 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

The minimum php version it will work with it 5.4 but it will work with php 7 so choose the highest version your host offers.  But keep in mind that if you have an older, live, shop on the same server, raising the php version may break it.

For the database, look in the includes/configure.php file. The database being used will be showing there. The shop only uses one database.

...thanks again Jack_mcs!

I'll double check with my provider about the version upgrade and the possibility of breaking our working database, although yesterday I asked them a similar question and this was their response... "Since your account is hosted on the CloudLinux-based server you can easily switch between PHP versions via your cPanel interface: please access cPanel control panel >> Software/Services section >> Select PHP version.

Changing PHP version via phpSelector is safe for your site"

They actually have 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, and an option that says "native 5.6" to choose from.

Again, I will have to make sure that whatever I do won't disrupt our live site, or review the ways to prevent it, or correcting it, if I myself between a rock and hard place! ...gotta do some reading before moving forward with it. ;-]#

11 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

I opened the local version of "includes/configure.php" file, and it does not show a PHP version, but "includes/version.php" file shows "2.3.1" ...or I should check the remote file?

The php version isn't shown in the configure file. You asked which database was being used, thus that reply. If you want to know what version of php is being used, look in admin->Tools->Server Info.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

2 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

The php version isn't shown in the configure file. You asked which database was being used, thus that reply. If you want to know what version of php is being used, look in admin->Tools->Server Info.

...silly, you even wrote it at the beginning of your initial response, my bad ...thanks! ;-]#

Archived