• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Advice re: php7 and BS Gold

Sam-AUST

I would be looking for a new host pronto.  Even before this ridiculous decision to jump to php7 so early, they had their server security ramped up so high that scripts and pages are unusable.  

This host is paranoid.  And that is impacting their customers in a bad way.

Do you use qtpro or have product attributes? I found it triggered an internal server error and they don't load when editing a product.

No I don't have qtpro and I don't use product attributes much since I typically do want to keep stock by color/variation. I think i might have one active product with an attribute (a 3 euro workers sandwiches box in green or blue :D )

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

It is odd of them Burt but on the flip side, it's a big company, has had very good uptime, 24/7 support (and I'm Australian, they are in the U.S so that really helps). And honestly, the security in the .htaccess file I think was actually put there by the original developer along with other security measures rather than my host.

Before this, I've had seriously long periods with no hassles like this, this is a big first.

the security in the .htaccess file I think was actually put there by the original developer along with other security measures rather than my host.

Yes, I recall you pointing that out.  I take back my comment about the host being paranoid.

However, I would still warn that it is presently too early for an enforced move to php7.

I kind of read through this and i would like to mention that it's not a good idea to output errors to the screen on a production site. Also, you can set where you want your errors going.  For instance, I have a catalog side error log and an Admin error log and I can run them at different levels.  You can do something like this in your application_top and then the errors won't show on the screen.

ini_set('display_errors', FALSE);

// set the level of error reporting
  error_reporting(E_ALL);

ini_set('error_log', 'includes/catalog_errors.log');

You could also change the level of errors on your product to not show notice, strict, and deprecated errors, or alter this as needed.  It's best to know th errors, but not show the world.

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT & ~E_DEPRECATED);

Personally, I run my live site with E_ALL outputing to an error log.  I'm still running 5.6 on my live site. 

I'm not really a dog.

@@Dan Cole I had actually asked Jack if we could go ahead and work on getting the site working on 7 since eventually it will have to be upgraded later anyway. Switching hosts may be a simple thing for a lot of people, but I have quite a setup with my current host, 3 osc stores, 3 wp blogs and a couple of static sites. A chaotic nightmare to try and recreate.

I just don't have the time to switch hosts either, I am trying to keep my head above water with our retail sales and sinking fast. There is never enough time in the day to get everything done and insufficient money to hire anyone to work on the premises because it does seem like we are either in or headed for a recession. Online marketplace sales have dropped through the floor for a lot of Australian sellers I know, it's a tough time.

I haven't switched hosts in the past 3 or 4 years... (just learn my host was purchased by Liquid however so this may changed).... but my experience is typically the new host will do ALL the work.

Moving files, database etc... even changing the nameservers (at least my current host did). In my case I would always do this type of work on a Friday overnight (our slowest traffic time) and if all goes well when you wake up (if you can sleep) the new nameservers are mostly propagated.

@@greasemonkey the thing is, I have to move now and upgrade later anyway, am I not just delaying the inevitable?

When is later?

I'm assuming a couple years down the road.

I'm not suggesting taking you eye off the (php 7) ball... I'm suggesting do it on your terms - not your hosts (who probably has an agenda that may not fit your agenda). I would want more than 1 month to re-develop my stores.

I assumed it would need to be updated sooner than a few years down the track. This is such a frustrating situation.

Sam there is nothing wrong with the choice you made and you are in good hands with Jack.  Put a period after it and get back to that busy store.

Dan

@@bruyndoncx when you ran a test order after switching, did you try the change address page?

I'm using better checkout, I just used the addresbook and edited an addres to make it primary without issue.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived