• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Advice re: php7 and BS Gold

Sam-AUST

Hi guys, our host unexpectedly switched us to php7 and our site became one long error page. The errors generally mentioned the boxes and depreciation.

I just wanted to ask, is there anything else in BS gold (or even in common modules) that needs fixing? They have reverted me to 5.6 but only for a short time.

@@Sam-AUST Sam if you haven't made to many core changes to your site, you could help yourself and the community by installing and testing the php7 compatible version of osC referenced here.

Dan

Hi Dan, sadly we have quite a few modules installed (mainly clothing stores), they are active shops, lots of products, lots of work put in (and only one person dealing with that entire side of it, but also dealing with sales). I really need a quick fix to ensure my active shops stay functional when the rug is pulled out from under me by the host, haha

Hi Dan, sadly we have quite a few modules installed (mainly clothing stores), they are active shops, lots of products, lots of work put in (and only one person dealing with that entire side of it, but also dealing with sales). I really need a quick fix to ensure my active shops stay functional when the rug is pulled out from under me by the host, haha

Not to worry..it was just a thought.  You need to do what is best for you.  

Regarding whether there will be other issues....all I can suggest is to follow the other php7 forums in here to see what other issues arise.  I guess you could also park a copy of your site on a server using php7 for testing purposes or within a sub directory within your own site if it allows you to set the version of php you're using at the directory level.  I know some cpanels will allow you to do that.

Dan

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

What worries me is the non-obvious errors. The ones that may only show up with some sort of function on the website. I'd hate to miss something and just have a lack of sales for an ongoing time until I worked it out.

@@greasemonkey that is actually a good question. I've been with them since 2003 or so, I am seeing if it's possible to upgrade the site but if it's too costly or just too difficult to find all the problems, I may have to change the type of hosting I have.

Hi there,

as a matter of interest up to what php version does Bootstrap Gold currently work with?

and also Edge as currently exists on GitHub.

The other point is upto which php version and also backwards  compatible does edge work with. So if your server is currently compatible with php 5.5 and you want to future proof and install edge etc what is the php range back and forth.

Doug

I am not sure, I have Gold running on 5.6.

The other weird thing is, I have three sites all created from the same files, with the same mods other than only 1 having burts key system installed.

One had a mass of depreciated this and that errors, the other two didn't have that but obviously have some issues in the back end, like internal server error on the attributes. I can't understand how all three don't have the same errors in front. Every file mentioned I checked was identical.

I can't understand how all three don't have the same errors in front.

@@Sam-AUST

Is error reporting all set in the same way?

Dan

I'm curious, something must be different.   Are the sites all on the same server...ie could a server setting be different perhaps?  

Dan

Same server too!

I am still undecided whether to move hosts or try and work with 7, making decisions is not my strong point. The host suggested having a VPS but my knowledge is very limited, I am a retailer, not a developer and all code is pretty much Greek to me.

One of the 3 sites is months in the works, to replace a 12 year old retail site and before I could even finish and launch it, it's already outdated because of the change to php 7.

You'll need to update to php7 at some point but changing hosts might kick that down the road.   For me the question would be how soon is my existing host going to move to php7 and whether that is a long enough window to do what I need to do.   If not I'd start looking for a new host too.  In sourcing a new host be sure to find out when they plan to move to php7 and will be dropping support for old versions. 

Dan

@@Dan Cole this was the official response from my host about this upgrade:

The reason we are having to upgrade the servers is because of known, unpatched vulnerabilities in PHP5.6. So, we are doing this for your safety and ours. We do realize this type of upgrade can cause sever problems for some clients. This is why we are allowing a 30 day rollback period, something we have never done before. it is expected you will take whatever steps are necessary to make your site(s) compatible with PHP7.0. The server that you are on will be permanently upgraded to PHP7.0 on Monday, June 5th. If you have not already started upgrading your code, or hired a developer to do so, I strongly suggest you do, as this is a server-wide, mandatory, upgrade. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

@@Sam-AUST  Sam maybe one of our server guys like Jack @@Jack_mcs will chime in here.  I don't know how serious those vulnerabilities are or if it is a ploy on your hosts part to justify the need to upgrade the server.  

Or indeed if it is possible to find a new host with a lower version that you can run on until osC is php7 ready and what versions, if any, should be avoided. 

Or if you should take the plunge and update your site to be php7 capable now.  I know Jack is adding some additional versions of php to his servers this week so maybe he can provide a little more guidance here. 

Dan 

Thanks Dan, I had already been in touch with Jack re: doing the upgrades to PHP 7, I just wasn't sure which was the right direction to go. I feel a bit one step forward, two steps back at the moment.

@@Sam-AUST As mentioned in my email, 5.6 will still have security updates for about 19 months so I don't know why your host would say that is the reason they are switching. I think it is a good idea to run on the latest version of php that is possible for a site as long as that version is established as being bug free. V 7.0 will reach EOL at the end of this year so that seems to say it had problems. I think it might be a little too soon for a host to switch to V 7.1 as the main, and only, version but, for whatever reason, they deem it important enough to do that. Hopefully there are not too many older shops on the server that can't upgrade or there will be a lot of scrambling going on. 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Dan, I had already been in touch with Jack re: doing the upgrades to PHP 7, I just wasn't sure which was the right direction to go. I feel a bit one step forward, two steps back at the moment.

@@Sam-AUST So Sam, in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation, is it safe to assume that you'll be switching hosts and will continue using php5.6 or some version other than 7?

Dan

@@Dan Cole I had actually asked Jack if we could go ahead and work on getting the site working on 7 since eventually it will have to be upgraded later anyway. Switching hosts may be a simple thing for a lot of people, but I have quite a setup with my current host, 3 osc stores, 3 wp blogs and a couple of static sites. A chaotic nightmare to try and recreate.

I just don't have the time to switch hosts either, I am trying to keep my head above water with our retail sales and sinking fast. There is never enough time in the day to get everything done and insufficient money to hire anyone to work on the premises because it does seem like we are either in or headed for a recession. Online marketplace sales have dropped through the floor for a lot of Australian sellers I know, it's a tough time.

FYI, I'm running 7.1 since 2 weeks now. I used the 7.x branch on github to fix most of the deprecated warnings.

When I have time, I enable more logging and fix notices in my (bad) custom code. But i do not have any fatal errors or other issues stopping me from using 7.1.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived