• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin configuration settings get CLEARED

Steve80

For some reason, whenever I try to use Admin to change a setting, the setting gets CLEARED rather than changed.  I have to resort to phpmyAdmin to make the change, or restore the original.  It USED to work - many moons ago, but I have no way of knowing exactly WHEN it stopped working and started doing this.

I really know very little about OSC (v2.2-ms2) and only a meager amount about php, but I have been able to successfully install a few simple contributions, but it seems impossible for me to be able to 'follow' the code to see how anything really works since all pages are virtual.

Any thoughts on what/where I should look to cure this?

I realize that I SHOULD just upgrade to the latest version, but I have SO MUCH TIME invested in getting everything (but this) working over a period of years, that the thought of starting over just terrifies me.  I KNOW I would end up losing the entire db as well as many DAYS of working trying to achieve a  proper upgrade .. and things are generally working just fine now .. except for a coupe of small issues which SHOULD be solvable and do not affect the online operation of the store itself.

TIA,

Steve

I cant really help with you problem, but I can say that if you were to update to the latest BS version, adding addons is now a simple upload and click job in most cases.They have been designed like that to make it easier for shop owners. There is now no altering core code just to make addons work. By not altering the core code, it is just a case of over write the files to upgrade to a more recent version. It cant be made much simpler. If an idiot like me can do it, most people should be able to.

I paid someone to convert my database to the latest bootstrap version as I thought it was beyond me. The cost was reasonable, and completed within a few days. I was even talked through how to get the latest customers, orders and products when the store finally went live. The store also does better in the searches as it is now suitable for use on all size devices, especially phones and customers love the new look. It is also much more secure and works on the latest software, which may be where your problem lies. Your host may have upgraded something.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

osCommerce 2.2 MS2 is vintage 2003. Very few of us remember much about that ancient code. We can try to help, but upgrading it to run on a modern server would be  a huge task. Even if you were to accomplish this, you would then be stuck updating your custom codebase every time your host upgrades.

As @@14steve14 said, you probably got hit by a PHP upgrade, or possibly a MySQL upgrade. I suggest that you first check your PHP error log and fix whatever is there.

It would take far less time and effort to port over your products and customers tables and start over with the latest version of osCommerce. Your store will look and work better as well.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived