• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Time out on admin flushes information

yomama360

Not sure if “timeout” is the proper term or even the problem here. Basically what happens is if someone is in the admin side, editing a product description for example. Then steps away for a while (about 10 - 20 minutes) and comes back and continues editing the description. Then presses “save” everything on the product page gets flushed and the database for that product is then populated with empty information. Price is gone, description gone, product name gone.

We can prevent this by opening a new browser window first, to look at orders or something. Then press save.

My assumption is that there is something built into osCommerce (maybe a security feature) that times out, or logs out of the session when there is no activity for a certain amount of time. Then when a server request is made (like updating product information, or refreshing the orders page) it reconnects and all is good (doesn't ask for password at this point). Except that it flushes out everything in the GET first, then sends the empty information to the database which deletes everything for that product in the database and fills it in with nothing.

Is there some place I can turn this off? re-write it to NOT flush the GET info first? Anyone else have this problem? Am I wrong and there's something else causing this?

One solution I thought of is to have a browser tab always open with a special page in the admin that refreshes itself every 9 minutes. This might work, but I'd rather fix the real problem first.

As you can tell, I am not a programmer. Hopefully I have explained everything properly enough.

Thanks in advance.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Without knowing what version of oscommerce you are using it will be hard to give an exact answer. On some older versions there was a setting in the admin/includes/functions/session.php file where you could alter the length of the session, but it looks different in the newer versions.

Try searching for 'extend admin session' that may get a few answers. There might also be an addon which auto saves the page but I may be wrong..

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks.

osCommerce v2.3.4 (with lots of mods)

In my sessions php I had
$max_session_length = 360000;

I assumed that means keep the session for 100 hrs. Obviously not the case, or perhaps session is a different thing? Again, it doesn't ask me to log back in, so maybe the "session" is still good?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Archived