• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Converting Points and Rewards system for osC BS

Tsimi

I am currently working on a Points and Rewards system for osC BS GOLD and EDGE.

There are currently 2 addons out there that are more or less working if you take bits and pieces from each one of them.

I have currently installed the Points and Rewards feature into an Edge test shop and all seems to work fine.

The idea of such points system is interesting but unfortunately it is one of those addons that require a lot core file changes or better let's say code additions. There are more ADD AFTER than REPLACE WITH parts.

I have managed to reduce the install steps by implementing some stuff into the module and new additional files.

More improvement is possible I know it but first I want to get it working before going deeper into it.

I still need to make the necessary Bootstrap design changes to some of the new files and then it's time for bug hunting.

I was wondering did someone ever create one for BS? Or did anyone ever attempt to make one for BS?

No need to recreate everything again if it has already been done.

As soon I have all the design stuff fixed I will add a beta package here.

Edited by Tsimi

So as promised here the Beta package.

Points_Rewards_BS_BETA.zip

Please DO NOT use this in a live store. This is not finished yet and not ready for use.

Best would be to install it into a fresh GOLD or better more EDGE test shop.

I added a "known bugs" list which I hope we can cross off some of those or worst case add some to the list.

Additional I would like to reduce some of the install steps. Maybe do some of the stuff in a similar fashion as we did with the Discount Codes BS addon?

Also I did not test any of the e-mail functions because I don't have that setup on my local server (XAMPP). So if anyone could test the e-mails that would be really great. I am sure there is still some work to be done in that departement.

Please do not report bugs like this addon doesn't work with that addon or that addon. I am not at that stage yet. First we need to get this working as stand alone and go from there.

Thanks and happy coding.

I have never used Points/Rewards (of any flavour of the addons) so I am not 100% sure what these addons do in terms of "how do they work"...

Could you explain a little bit about it?  I might have some code to contribute if I can understand the mechanics...

@@burt

The basic function of such a Points and Rewards system is to assign a certain amount of points to a customer account. Those can then be used as credit to purchase items.

A customer can get points the following ways;

- New account registration

- Purchase products

- Write reviews

- Refer by an already existing customer

- Points assigned by shop owner/admin

- Recommend your store

Each of those 6 features can be activated/de-activated. Point rates, restrictions and other settings can be setup in the admin section.

With those points customers can pay products during the checkout process. Partial amount of the order total or even the complete order total amount depending on the current points credit.

The goal would be to keep the customers motivated to purchase items, write reviews or recommend your store to others.

The only thing that cannot be done with this addon is you cannot use a partial amount of points to pay for the order.

For example the order total is $30 and you have $20 worth in points but want to use only $10, that cannot be done as it is right now. It is all or nothing,, so either you use all $20 worth of points or you don't.

Edited by Tsimi

@@Tsimi makes sense thanks.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/407700-building-a-store-credit-system/

Have a read thru that and if any of the ideas there look "of interest" hit me up.

The difference is instead of points...it is cash.  It sounds really quite similar, and I understand this problem exactly;

"It is all or nothing,, so either you use all $20 worth of points or you don't"

@@burt

That is VERY close to what I got in my test store. Very close indeed. Except that you barely touch core code.

You did that with almost no core code changes?? That blows my mind.

I cannot imagine how to convert all that stuff into hooks or modules to inject all over the place, it's really a lot stuff.

That "fake" payment method might be an idea. In that beta package is a validation build in but I just don't understand why it worked on my normal osC 2.3.4 test shop but not in a BS shop. Usually it just skips the payment selection part if you can pay the complete amount by points. Just tick the checkbox and click continue, at least that is the idea if it would work.

You really should look into this addon once and maybe take one or two ideas. For example you had an addon that would remind the customers to write reviews. Imagine now that addon in combination with points for reviews. That is motivation.

A store with Discount Codes, Points system and Gift Vouchers would be a great place to shop.

Edited by Tsimi

It's just a matter of having enough time to do the things I need to do.  I'm looking to my left now and pinned up is a to-do list where the first entry is from January of 2014 - and it's still not done.  Bah!

I'll send you that codebase by email so that you can install it and have a look at what I did.

@@burt

lol...yeah I know what you mean.... wish the day had 36 hours right? Enough for coding and TV Series, hehehe...

That would be awesome G! (w00t) I would love to look through it and maybe get one or the other idea.

Edited by Tsimi

Anyone had a look at my beta package?

3 downloads only? Hmmm...it seems like this whole point system is not so popular I guess. :rolleyes:

@@burt

Thanks again for your e-mail G! :thumbsup:

Lambros I'm definitely interested...I'm just so busy right now and with the little bit of time I have I'm playing around with the order editor right now.  Don't give up, we're watching from the side lines at this point.

Dan

@@Tsimi

Yep, I'm interested, but too busy at the moment to test the module. I know my son uses a points system, not osC, and it works for his customers. He uses a commercial eshop and modules like this are offered to him, if he pays for it. I'll compare the module with the functionality he has.

I'll look into it, and test, just as soon, as business allows.

Mike

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

In case anyone needs a reason to help or encourage Lambros's initiative....here are 8....

8 Reasons Why Loyalty Programs Are Imperative For Marketers

Dan

Yo @Tsimi

I can take a look at the code you've uploaded.  What are your thoughts about using hooks?  This way we could consolidate most core changes to one liners while centralizing the code needed into one file.

@@Tsimi  When you have another update Lambros, let me know too....I think, with a great deal of help from @@milerwan Gwenn, my issues with Order Editor and Discount Coupons is behind me now so I should be able to make some time for your initiative. 

Dan

Yo @Tsimi

I can take a look at the code you've uploaded.  What are your thoughts about using hooks?  This way we could consolidate most core changes to one liners while centralizing the code needed into one file.

This is definitely the way to go and might be a good learning experience for some of us.

Dan

Thanks guys!

@@marcello

Yeah, hooks or header tags modules to inject code would be great.

There are like 20 code changes in the catalog area alone so if we could get those reduced that would be fantastic.

There are also a few bugs that need attention.

Edited by Tsimi

• 3 months later...

Hello Lambros @Tsimi,

Just was thinking about that it would be good to develop a BS add-on for Points and Rewards and found this thread.

How far has this progressed? If you need some further help for modularizing - hooking, just let me know. Maybe you could post the latest version or send me by mail. I would have a look then to see what I can do.

thanks

Rainer

@raiwa

Hi Rainer

To be honest I haven't done anything to it since the release of the BETA version in my second post.
I got some additional help from Gary, he send me a package that included some good ideas as to how to implement this.
The main problem with the BETA is that if you want to implement the points stuff to all the necessary pages like account, email and checkout with all its features like for example receive points for reviews then you'll have to modify a lot of files and as far I can recall not everything can be solved with hooks or modules.

I have to refresh my memory a bit by looking at it again once I have finished the last episode of Game of Thrones which is tonight.

Package wise the BETA in my second post is still the latest version. I included a readme file with current bugs that need to be addressed if this is ever gonna go into a live shop.

Edited by Tsimi

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, LeeFoster said:

@Tsimi

I'm not sure I can help much with the code changes but I'm happy to test the system and look for errors and improvements. 

I've worked in E-commerce for 15 years and can tell you that reward points are becoming more widely used.

Any help is appreciated and very welcome.
You can once try to install the BETA version (download in 2nd post) into a test store and play around with it and at the same time write down any kind of bugs you see.
Once this is all running and coded as it should we can start to look at improvements. Still a long road ahead though.
I will try to spend some time with it over the weekend and see if I can get one or the other current bug cleaned out.

Edited by Tsimi