• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Went South, languages, and no admin access

chickeneps

My long-running very simple site all of a sudden went blank; when you go anywhere after index.php it was whitespace. I had made no changes in months, even years.

I fixed it after looking in error_log; in application_top.php around line 286:

$language = "english";
$language_id = "1";

I also forced it in the 'if' in line 261. My site is english only anyway. I also had to force the currency to $currency = "USD";

I don't know WHY this became a problem out of nowhere, but it did. Any idea?

But more importantly, now I can't get into my admin. I forgot my password a long time ago so I found a site that showed me how to reset it (into the db with a MD5 for 'pass').

The problem now is that after I put in my username and password it says:

Error!
Unable to determine the page link!
Function used:
tep_href_link('', '', 'NONSSL')

And in error_log it says

PHP Warning:  http_build_query(): Parameter 1 expected to be Array or Object.  Incorrect value given in [xxx] login.php on line 90

Any ideas of what is going wrong??

Did your host update the version of php that they are using?  That seems to be a common problem with old sites that aren't kept up to date.

Dan

They probably just changed it...from all the posts I've seen on here I don't think any of the older versions will run on the php 5.4...at least not out of the box.

I guess you have a few options....

1.  Ask your host if they can temporarily roll it back to give you a chance to upgrade. 

2.  Try to patch up your old site as you find issues.

3.  Just move on and upgrade to the most recent version - EDGE responsive (you can convert your data for use with the new version).

Dan

They deny any change was made (Hostmonster). Can't fight city hall.

I am running 2.3.1 and it was running for years, its' just today it went faulty. I would prefer to sort of "not fix what's not broken" and if I could change back what got changed (most hosters aren't helpful, I know), I would. But it looks like I can't.

I have very few customization on my site, and I do have it backed up, but the changes that were made were pretty important (ESPECIALLY the USPS connections). I also don't know exactly where they are.

OK, so how do I update to 2.3.4 from 2.3.1? Do the Full Package, or do the 6 Upgrade packages?

Garth....one other thing...do you have a cpanel at Hostmonster?  If so, have a look around there might be an option to change the php level yourself -- you could move it down and see if it at least gets your site up and running until you can make the switch.

Dan

Thanks for the links. I'll look into it. As for the PHP version, the oldest version they offer is 5.4. When I talk to the techs (operating under "trust but verify") they do allude to running a private PHP. But again, that's a whole lot of work to solve such a little problem. Assuming the problem is little. I still don't understand why it is that something works for 2-3 years straight, then one day you wake up and it doesn't - without you ever changing anything, and your hoster says they haven't changed anything either.

I have options - I actually have two hosters, HM kicked my main one off years ago (really long story), and the second one is running PHP 5.3. But again, all of this happens when I have really no extra time to spare. I have to decide on the option that is the less likely time-blackhole. I'll keep this thread alive. I hope it has a happy ending!

Regarding the links, the Responsive version as alluded to by Jack is named 'Responsive-osCommerce-master.zip', and the EDGE version in the other link downloads the exact same file (same name, and a diffed it - same thing).

Can you answer why that is?

And thank you for taking the time to help.

Also, it sure looks like Jack knows what he's talking about. On his site OSCommerce Solutions he has a $75 thing to "fix stuff" - do you think that's a good investment and would that include this sort of version-transfer (with the db conversion and all)?

Hey Garth,

The fix you posted suggests that you hit a session type bug that was present in a version of php 4 something that had a work around that went away I think in php 5.4.  The thing is php 5.4 is old and it's really best to get updated or you will keep running into issues.  There are more coming when they go to 5.5, 5.6, 7.+.  If you are good with a file/folder comparator like Beyond Compare, you can do the upgrades and you'll probably have some time before your host goes to 5.5.  There are session file changes and mysql changes that will be important.  There are a lot of benefits to going to the BS version, so start looking at getting it done.

Jack seems to be a real good guy to work with from what I've heard.  You can also post in  the commercial section for help if needed.

I'm not really a dog.

Regarding the links, the Responsive version as alluded to by Jack is named 'Responsive-osCommerce-master.zip', and the EDGE version in the other link downloads the exact same file (same name, and a diffed it - same thing).

Can you answer why that is?

They're the same distribution, under two slightly different names. Unfortunately, Gary wasn't entirely consistent in naming things, and this has resulted in some confusion.

• osC 2.3.4   --- "plain", "official" latest release. DO NOT INSTALL -- it hasn't been updated in 3 years and won't run with most PHP levels (above 5.4 or so)
  • osC 2.3.4BS Gold --- early snapshot of what is now Edge. Don't install it unless you absolutely are unable to run Edge
  • osC 2.3.4BS Edge --- current version ("bleeding edge") responsive (Bootstrap) version of osC, with many enhancements and PHP 5.6 support (PHP 7.0 promised soon-ish). Despite being under development, almost everyone has found it to be quite stable. Gary and friends seem to do a good job of testing before releasing code.

As for your 2.3.1 site suddenly going kerfluey, your host did make some sort of upgrade to the server, which broke your ancient version of osC. Software can't be installed and forgotten about -- the underlying platform (server) is constantly upgraded, and eventually your application will break. Your host has to keep updated, to provide security and needed features, so you can't blame them. You are responsible for keeping your site software up to date. Install 2.3.4BS Edge and enjoy a nice operating and stable shop for a few years, anyway. Eventually it will have to be upgraded, by which time hopefully the official 2.4 will be out.

I am not going to rub your nose in it and say this is what happens when you dont upgrade your website as it has been implied enough already. I bet your host did change something, they normally do, and say they dont.

If it was me, I would bite the bullet, and upgrade you site to something that is known good and meets todays modern standards. When I did mine I paid someone, Gary who was responsible for the majority of the BS version code, so he knew what he was doing, to do the database changes and once I had a working basic site it was uploaded to the server in a test folder to make sure that it worked on the actual server. I got the addons that I wanted and started to make the changes. The new responsive version is so easy to add things to as many of them are modules and its a one click install once the files have been uploaded to the correct place.

Getting the site to something that was better than my old version took literally a few hours.

Once you change just make sure that you do not modify the core code. Updates then become real easy too.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

If I can tap into this thread one more time - I just get so uncomfortable doing things I'm not trained to do.

So I'm setting up 2.3.4 on another hoster (I wanted to move it anyway). So I installed the EDGE Responsive thing. Now I want to import my database from the old server to the new one. I exported it using MyPHPAdmin on the old server. I am Importing it into the already created [xxx]_osc2 database on the new server. I get a lot of SQL errors, which I've been able to circumvent - until this one. I check both db's and both don't have any duplicate primary keys.

SQL query:

--
-- Indexes for dumped tables
--
--
-- Indexes for table `action_recorder`
--
ALTER TABLE `action_recorder` ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `id` ) ,
ADD KEY `idx_action_recorder_module` ( `module` ) ,
ADD KEY `idx_action_recorder_user_id` ( `user_id` ) ,
ADD KEY `idx_action_recorder_identifier` ( `identifier` ) ,
ADD KEY `idx_action_recorder_date_added` ( `date_added` ) ;

MySQL said: Documentation

#1068 - Multiple primary key defined

If I am not mistaken a lot of tables need altering from one version of oscommerce to the latest one. There are several posts withing these forums about doing so. Its not as easy as just using your old one to work the new one. I did a quick search and found several posts about changing the database.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Well, with some perseverance and lotsa luck, I imported everything. Jack is working on my old site and I'm trying to get the new site running. I'll start a new thread asking the remaining questions about the new 2.3.4 site. (Have to say it, this should not be this hard.)

Thank you everyone!!!

Archived