• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

moving the site from sub-folder to root

Hello everyone,

I am trying to move the shop from sub-folder, and it working well,

I have been modifying the configure.php files and .htaccess file,

after a few hours,   I got blank page (just the catalog the admin weork well) with  some errors about the duplicate configuration keys, so I checked the use phpmyadmin  to found out these duplicate configuration keys and uninstall  it,

After that I got just blank page without errors, and if I move it back to sub-folder work well .

beside that i haven't got this errors when the shop in  sub-folder...

Did I miss something.

I am using osc 2.3 bs Edge

Thank your for any help

Omar

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

Do NOT move your store from /catalog to /. It gains you nothing, and you lose accumulated SE ranking and your customer's bookmarks go bad. Plus, your store's files will now be mixed in with your overall site (root) configuration files, making it more difficult to cleanly update or remove osC in the future. Keeping your store in /catalog keeps it nicely partitioned away from the rest of your site.

What are you trying to accomplish? If it's to avoid your new customers having to type in /catalog, there's a much easier way to do it in .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  !^/catalog(/|$)  [NC]
RewriteRule  ^(.*)$  /catalog/$1 

If in the future you add other applications and a landing page to direct the visitor to your store, blog, gallery, etc., you would remove the above code that automatically sends them to the store.

@@MrPhil Thank you for you reply

the osc 2.32 bs edge was on test (sub-folder) .. and in the root was the live shop osc 2.2,

so what i was doing it just go live with osc 2.3 bs edge ..

this was why I trying to move it to the root ,

@@MrPhil any idea what case the issue, or what I should do to move it live without lose accumulated SE ranking and  customer's bookmarks go bad??

BR

Omar

If you have a development store in a different place, and want to move it to a production place, that's a different matter. Most of these "how do I move to root" questions are because site owners don't want customers to have to type in "/catalog". In that case, it's best to just rewrite from / to /catalog, as I suggested, rather than physically moving the installation from /catalog to /.

In your case, if I understand you, you had a production 2.2 store in /, and 2.3.4BS in /test. Do you have a lot of customer bookmarks and SE juice for the 2.3.4BS installation, that will be lost? If not, you might rename /test to /catalog (changing not only configure.php entries, but any references in the database) and redirect from / to /catalog. It would be better for customers will see "/catalog" in links than "/test". Note that 2.3.4BS and 2.2 are different enough that a lot of bookmarks to your old store may not work anyway (unless they are rewritten in .htaccess). If your test site has been around for a while and has a lot of /test bookmarks and SE juice you don't want to lose, you might think about redirecting (301) /test to / (before the rewrite / to /catalog).

@@MrPhil Thank you

Sorry to be not clear with my post,, maybe it was not good idea to do anything when I have strong flu :x :wacko:  and been one year older then last night -_- ......

BR

Omar

Archived