• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Are language packs for 2.3.4 compatible with BS edition?

2.3.4 language packs would be missing lots of text.

I tried my best to get some translations;

- the spanish guys almost got there, but in the end that attempt failed

- the german guys provided a translation set that was unuseable (lots of core translates remained in english, lots of other added translates that had nothing to do with core).

So, we tried.  But it did not work.  

@@jampjamp When you install a language pack, you will almost always need to be able to change some of the text to suit your shop. In other words, you need to be able to read and write that language. If that is the case, you can just duplicate the English directory and file and edit the resulting files in the language you want to use. There will be a few changes specific for the language, like the locale and date format, but you can get those from the existing language packs. Then you just need to add the language in admin and you're all set. It's not as easy as installing an addon but isn't a lot of work either.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

So far as I know the Spanish guys almost got there, I'm not sure why that one failed.  It was soooooo close.

I could also have had Danish but the one who was offering Danish refused to translate files that he does not use, so to save problems down the line I decided not to accept it.  That's another one that instead can be an addon.

The German guys have a fork somewhere where there is too much still to be translated and too much added stuff (for addons) to make it useable in the Core.

• 9 months later...
45 minutes ago, honda4 said:

In addition to this, which would be the best version to start with (for Dutch and French preferably)? Would that be the 2.3.4 standard version?

Cheers, Rene

I used this one en translate the missing things, there is no version for the 2.3.4 BS

The 2.3.4 (or 2.3.4.1) standard ("official") version of <language> files could certainly give you a starting point, but there will still be much work to be done. You would first need to compare the Edge English version against 2.3.4's English version, to get all the new entries and check that nothing has changed in the intended usage of an existing text string*. Then you can update the 2.3.4 <language> files to match Edge's definitions, at least giving you English versions of anything not already translated. Then the real work begins: someone fluent in <language> to translate all the new stuff from English. I suppose you could use Google Translate to at least get a start on this, but it's still labor-intensive (done string-by-string) and there's no guarantee that the result won't be gibberish in <language>! Someone fluent in <language> would still have to look over the work, and tune it, but using a machine translator could at least speed up the process.

* if a given text string in English changed between official 2.3.4 and Edge, you should treat it as new and re-translate it

Once the base Edge is fully translated into multiple languages, we can discuss ongoing maintenance (new or changed strings) and add-ons being translated. Perhaps there could be volunteers to do this, provided that the workload is kept small. Also, what can be done to disable an installation if someone uses, say, a 2.3.4 <language> pack with Edge? I think it would be better to force English than to use an incomplete and unverified translation.

20 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

Probably is better to wait until "Final" (which is close-ish). 

After this only hotfixes will be added to Core.

Therefore languages will be easier to translate once and not have to maintain.

If someone wants to start a new Edge store, would you advise them to go ahead now, or wait for Final? If you're sure that Final is within a few weeks, the wait could be worth it.

By the way, what is the minimum PHP version now? The README.md file still says 5.3 -- will it still run on that with all the recent PHP updates for 7.x?

9 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

If someone wants to start a new Edge store, would you advise them to go ahead now, or wait for Final? If you're sure that Final is within a few weeks, the wait could be worth it.

Someone like me for instance..... :-)

It could be as little as one week from now, or not. 

Timeframe really depends upon a number of shopowners stepping up to bat, and allowing (more) time to be given by two people.

Final consists of one more job, but that job is a large one;

bootstrap v3 to v4

• 2 weeks later...

I have dropped all thoughts I had, anter I met wHiTeHaT from Limburg Neherlands,

wHiTeHaT Has upgraded my shop from rc2a to the latest bootstrap in the past week.

No data loss, and after some changes I have most functionality back in my shop.

I am very happy the way wHiTeHaT has done it, he is very knowledgable in OSCommerce and PHP.

If I knew I would have done this earlier. Hapy customer here.

I fully recommend wHiTeHaT to have your site upgraded!

Cheers Rene

Hello Rene @honda4

admin => Localization => Languages => Select: Dutch => Edit => Tick: Set as default => Save

That's all :smile:

Maybe you switched to English then this keeps stored in cookie or session.

Archived