• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Server Error on multiple Add-Ons

duckydan

I've tried installing the PayPal App and also the Discount Coupons app.  Both separately.  Both of them yielded the same result which was the error message below.  My server error logs show no errors.  The files from what I can tell are all there and have no errors.  I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.  It happens when I access the paypal.php or the coupons.php config pages from the admin.

More annoyingly, they work on the test server but not prod!

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I see lots of that in add-ons and mods etc. for various applications. Some developers are still stuck in the Stupid Ages, and blithely install files and directories with 777 permissions and the like. A lot of servers now run something like suPHP, where groups and other/world aren't allowed write access. Always check file and directory permissions after any update to your site, and fix permissions if necessary. Permissions should always be the least permissive (strictest) that gets the job done.

After years of dealing with having to change permissions on newly uploaded files from 664 to lower (I use  600 on php) I finally found how to change the umask for sftp on my server.  Apparently, this is how Cpanel is set up because it's discussed in their forums.  Someone posted the solution for SFTP in the SSHD config.  I still have to change the php file permissions, but at least folders are automatically set at 755 and files at 644.  I believe CPanel will be changing the default when using suPHP. 

Using Beyond Compare to connet to the server I can easily set the file mask to only show php files then sort by permissions, so it's easy to find files and folders with too loose of permissions.

I'm not really a dog.