• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal App and 2.3.4BS Gold

Mikepo

Hi, I'm finally getting round to updating the PayPal App from v4.039 to v5.018(12 Mar 2017).

I'm currently running osC2.3.4 BS Gold.

As there was issues with updating the PayPal App when integrated with 2.3.4BS Gold I'm now confused on how to perform the update.  Do I......

1) update manually by downloading from the addon site http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9184

However, this addon states the latest version is v5.010

or

2) use the update app feature and let the system update automatically.  Will this cater for the legacy features required for the BS gold version?

Thanks in advance

Mike

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

@@greasemonkey

yep, I had 4.049 up and running.

I used the app upgrade button and got updated all the way to v5.018 ( after setting file Permissions ... oops)

All looks ok now.  thanks

One point to note, the app tells me to set auto return to checkout_process.php, I've always set this to checkout_success.php, which is right????

checkout_success.php has always worked in the past

Thanks again

Mike

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

@@greasemonkey,

testing express, do you or can you have paypal standard enabled too?

testing express seems to work well, and the customer only confirms the order after returning from paypal. (after selecting the shipping option in paypal)

if a customer decides to create a shop account, does that process use express too?

Do you also need the login with paypal module?

Mike

@@Mikepo there is no need to have standard enables as well.

There are many ways to set up/configure... I have mine with in-context enabled and instant update disabled.

If a customer is logged into there account (or logged in with Login With PayPal which you can now use if you have Express enabled) when on checkout_payment they will have the option to select PayPal as their payment option and works similar to standard if instant update is disabled.

If instant update is enabled; 1) in-context for "checkout with PayPal is not available 2) you must have a SSL 3) shipping is "selectable" on/during PayPal and if works transfers customer directly to checkout_success 4) is NOT mobile friendly (game changer IMO... and hence why I have it off).

Log story short...

1) Checkout with PayPal (now called PayPal Checkout I think) is super slick with in-context enabled - only downside is the customer does not see, and is not able to select, a shipping method during checkout (they land back on checkout_confirmation and can always go back and change their shipping method... PITA.... but possible)... the logic is simple however, it is suppose to be super quick and therefore pre-selects the cheapest shipping method.

2) having express enabled allows you to also use Log in with PayPal and or PayPal Pro if you require a Credit Card processing module.

3) With instant updated disabled works similar enough to standard...

@@greasemonkey, thanks for this explanation, I'll do more testing tomorrow. Express might be the best option to use, as most customers are happy using PayPal.

I'll post back with results and final solution.

Thanks for advice

Mike

Archived