• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Confirmation Emails to Hotmail accounts not being received...

pete2007

For the past few weeks we've noticed that all emails to hotmail account customers are not being received. I have tested other email accounts and the emails are being received but after setting up and testing from a hotmail account email address no emails are being received at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with hotmail account customers? If so does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Your server has been marked as a spammer (either automated or manual report). If so, you're likely to have more mail systems rejecting your mails. Are you getting any bouncebacks that may say why emails are rejected? Do any other emails to Hotmail get rejected, or is it only confirmations? There may be something specific to the confirmation emails (such as too many links) leading to their being marked as spam.
  2. I vaguely recall hearing about Hotmail being a mail service that now wants SPF records, or something like that, to prove that you're not spoofing them. If you haven't done so already, search this forum for Hotmail, gmail, and other mail systems that have put various restrictions on emails.

For the past few weeks we've noticed that all emails to hotmail account customers are not being received. I have tested other email accounts and the emails are being received but after setting up and testing from a hotmail account email address no emails are being received at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with hotmail account customers? If so does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Check and see if you have a return path specified on your emails and if not have a look at this thread.  I think there are a few other related threads too.  Google is your friend.

Dan

@@pete2007

There can be several reasons for this.

If it was working before, it's likely you have been blacklisted for Hotmail. Unless you've been spamming there's no shame in that, some people are quick to hit that "This is spam" button on innocuous emails like order updates and if you get even a handful of those Hotmail will ban you.

Luckily, Hotmail will investigate for you if you fill in this form https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&ccsid=636258953384231707

You can also enrol in the Junk Mail Reporting Program so that Hotmail will notify you every time one of your customers marks your email as spam https://postmaster.live.com/snds/JMRP.aspx

You may also have a problem with SPF or DKIM records so check those out too https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/solved-and-solved-again-how-to-remove-a-server-ip/ff1563b2-e3d9-47f9-b70d-7ba0496c4435?auth=1

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

I had a similar problem with btinternet emails addresses. It may also been with others thast I didnt know about.  After speaking to their help people I found out it was something to do with not having SPF set up on the hosting account. Once that was sorted everything worked fine, so it may be worth checking with your hosts.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@pete2007 , if you put your website url in your account profile, giving the opportunity to the others to do some online dns checking for your domain and providing you with advice.

If you have done that you can let them know by telling i updated my profile with the address ;) .

Thank you for all your replies.

First of all I will be filling out the form for hotmail to investigate further, and I have also contacted my host regarding SPF set up.

@wHiTeHaT unfortunately I do not want to make my website public but I can PM you if you like? thank you

Hello again,

I don't think I am blacklisted or marked as a spammer as I've never received bounceback / rejected emails.

The email address I use can send emails to hotmail account customers without any problems, it seems the only issue is that when the email is sent from my oscommerce software its not being sent/received to the customer, this includes all registration emails, confirmation emails and also reset password emails...

Archived