Latest News: (loading..)
Gergely

Can you require two form email address fields to match in create account?

Create account validation   7 members have voted

1. 1. What will be on create account page?

• Hooks is a good idea
    • Not need any changes. It works well
    • Wanted double email address form validation
    • Wanted email validation
    • Do not disturb with this question
    • Use javascript to validate somehow...
    • Disable order if mail delivery occurs and notify customer with a header tag solution

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I have a lot of troubles with wrong/missed email addresses in create account. What do you think about double email address inputs vs email confirmation with a link in account process?

Would be there a hook system on create account page to enable some solutions for this problem?

Thanks all proposals

Edited by Gergely

@@Gergely

What does the setting Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS in Configuration -> E-mail Options do?

I've always found it to be supremely annoying to have to enter an email twice -- except for the one or two times that it caught an error. Maybe a better question would be: why are email addresses usually ***'d out? What harm would it be to have it visible in plain text, as the price for having to enter it only once? Of course, that doesn't guarantee that someone won't make a typo entering it, but there's a chance of catching it visually. They can make the same typo entering it a second time (I do a one-finger hunt-and-peck for the second entry), or copy and paste the first entry into the second (accomplishing nothing).

I don't understand the question about email confirmation instead of entering it twice -- if you got the email address wrong the first (and only) time, that's all she wrote -- the confirmation will go to the wrong place (possibly to no one). Verifying through DNS, if that works, merely tells you there's a legal address on the other end, not that it's going to the supposed recipient.

I vaguely recall this very matter being discussed several years ago. You might want to do some searching for that discussion.

I made a HT module which allows shopowner to choose what he wants to do.  

Have a second email field (and check that both are the same)

OR

Have a message after the email is input (your email address is xx@yy.zz)

OR

Show a tickbox asking the customer if they inserted their email correctly (cannot submit form unless ticked)

It also validates the inputted email to see if the customer account already exists, if so asks them to login.

It's a self contained HT module, no need to make it complicated.

bruyndoncx, frankl and ArtcoInc like this

Thanks Frank. It looks like a solution..

@@Gergely

What does the setting Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS in Configuration -> E-mail Options do?

If it works from your domain enviroment, than check only the DNS and not the reality.

One danger example:

xxx@gmail.com is valid and xxx@gmial.com is the same. But latest email address is a hacker domain from the dark side... (It was a real missing typed example). What I am experienced with it, that there is no mailer deamons from the hacker site(!) so its more difficult to filter out.

I've always found it to be supremely annoying to have to enter an email twice -- except for the one or two times that it caught an error. Maybe a better question would be: why are email addresses usually ***'d out? What harm would it be to have it visible in plain text, as the price for having to enter it only once? Of course, that doesn't guarantee that someone won't make a typo entering it, but there's a chance of catching it visually. They can make the same typo entering it a second time (I do a one-finger hunt-and-peck for the second entry), or copy and paste the first entry into the second (accomplishing nothing).

I don't understand the question about email confirmation instead of entering it twice -- if you got the email address wrong the first (and only) time, that's all she wrote -- the confirmation will go to the wrong place (possibly to no one). Verifying through DNS, if that works, merely tells you there's a legal address on the other end, not that it's going to the supposed recipient.

I vaguely recall this very matter being discussed several years ago. You might want to do some searching for that discussion.

Thanks Phill,

I will search it. Email validation with a mail could be a solution but it could be very slow with the checkout. I see a conflict between registration and a willingnes to give personal data to order something. There are another problem when husband give his wife email address to make an order but husband never read his wife emails... :D

Posted (edited)

I made a HT module which allows shopowner to choose what he wants to do.  

Have a second email field (and check that both are the same)

OR

Have a message after the email is input (your email address is xx@yy.zz)

OR

Show a tickbox asking the customer if they inserted their email correctly (cannot submit form unless ticked)

It also validates the inputted email to see if the customer account already exists, if so asks them to login.

It's a self contained HT module, no need to make it complicated.

Thanks Burt,

it could be a solution. I should make a lot of telephone orders regardless of online users. They give me the email address by phone but its catasrophic... In practice they dont know or havent email address(?!). If has I try to type it but its not a 100% solution. They can not speak, spell or cant remember own or friend's(?) email address (all of us speaking on hungarian mother language in vain!) So I should do a check it and if I can not found mailer deamons then it would be good input. (w00t)

In the age of smart phones minimal requirement would be the telephone number in a registration process. If someone is a stupid and can not use email address then send it an SMS with hashed media links to inform about its order.

Digital illiterate will be the life of humanoid zombies apocalypse.

Edited by Gergely

In my industry, these people would be considered a time-sink.  The type of person that cannot remember/does not know/ does not have email address is not the type of customer I want to have on my books.

Of course I understand that other sellers will want such customers, which is why that HT module was built, to try to easily give some warning to customers about email addresses.  

Email Validation:

You could sink 100 hours into this for the sake of getting 1 sale from 1 customer.  Is it really worth it the ROI ?

There are another problem when husband give his wife email address to make an order but husband never read his wife emails... :D

Hello there, Mr. Smith. Welcome to Ashley Madison, where discreet is the word! Now, what kind of affair are you looking for?

Hi all,  

As we had a lot of calls all the time from customers that they did not get any order confirmationcreate account information etc.

After we checked the orders we saw it was their mistake by typing wrong email (typing mistake etc.). By using HT module by @@burt  :thumbsup: we will not hear about that problem any more.

Omar

I added a double email entry many years ago and it dramatically reduced the amount of incorrect email address.  When I personally enter an email address I either cut and paste it from my outlook, or it pops up automatically in firefox. 

Are you sure? I dont want to convience everybody...

Well, this problem is more then we are talking about. There are a lot of everyday issue.

Recipient address rejected: u'SMTP service is disabled for this account:
20668845. Reason: The account is INACTIVE'

so there is no effect with double email address...

Customer doesnt know parcel id if order asked to parcel shop... due to non-used email address. Order impossible to deliver to customer.

I see that you have some solutions but its less than should be.

"less than it should be" ??  What the .... LOL.

Do you really want to deal with people who do not know their own email address ?  

mcmannehan likes this

There's a difference between people who can't remember their email address (or are using a false one to register), and those who mistype their email. Ignore the former group, but try to help the latter by showing their entered email address in plain text, not hidden (password style). Maybe present it later, just before pulling the trigger, and ask to confirm this address is correct.

There's no point in asking for an email to be typed in twice, provided you can see what you're typing.

@@MrPhil I've never seen an email input box be starred out.  Could you show an example?

"less than it should be" ??  What the .... LOL.

Do you really want to deal with people who do not know their own email address ?  

You'd be suprised, but there are legitmate sales to people that screw their email up.   Many of them call the order in though.  I had one lady enter her email as  name@@www.domain.com

@@MrPhil I've never seen an email input box be starred out.  Could you show an example?

Off the top of my head, I don't have one to show you, but I definitely remember (on more than one site) having to enter email twice in a *-d out field. If I see one again, and I remember your request, I'll send it to you. It wasn't an osC site.

Off the top of my head, I don't have one to show you, but I definitely remember (on more than one site) having to enter email twice in a *-d out field. If I see one again, and I remember your request, I'll send it to you. It wasn't an osC site.

That sounds like a coding error on the site you saw it on.  Most likely they have a "password" field instead of a "normal" field;

https://jsbin.com/yebipusuqe/edit?html,output

You'd be suprised, but there are legitmate sales to people that screw their email up.   Many of them call the order in though.  I had one lady enter her email as  name@@www.domain.com

Clueless, no?

Just a small testimony:
The average age of my site's clientele is quite high. Ten years ago, when I started, I had one in ten customers who inverted letters when entering the email address.
So I added another field for entering the email address a second time.
It improved things but I still had problems sometimes.
Then I disabled the copy / paste on this second field.
Since then, apart from one who confuses a .com with a .fr or conversely, I have no more errors.

@@burt

My customer base is not computer savy for the most part but that has changed over time.  I sold A/V equipment when I was younger and couldn't believe that someone didn't know their TV model, and now I don't know mine o:)

That sounds like a coding error on the site you saw it on.  Most likely they have a "password" field instead of a "normal" field;

https://jsbin.com/yebipusuqe/edit?html,output

Probably not a coding error, but some doofus corporate security requirement that email addresses can't be displayed to anyone, including their owners!

@@burt

My customer base is not computer savy for the most part but that has changed over time.  I sold A/V equipment when I was younger and couldn't believe that someone didn't know their TV model, and now I don't know mine o:)

That big glass thingy that pulls pictures out of the air? Oh yeah, what is it... Dumont?

A way;

create_account

on successful account creation...log them out, and send an email containing a RANDOM "key" (eg: ABC-123-DEF-456)

redirect to a new page asking them to insert their "key"

Incorrect email == No Key received.  No Key inserted == No Access.

I wonder who has made a system of self certification like that LOL  :rolleyes:

However, this also does not solve your issue, as now you get customers who insert incorrect email address...who never get their Key, and then contact you to tell you your site is s--t...

Don't waste time on this.  Put on a message, a double input or whatever.  

Positive Reinforcement solves the problem as demonstrated by the comments above.  

I have a rule that I don't want customers who don't know where they live or how to spell their email address. It's working well.

burt likes this