• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4 to Bootstrap

LBManiac

Hi folks, I am playing around with the bootstrap version to see if it would be practical to upgrade shop to.  I have set up a test directory and imported the database into it and it seems to work for the most part.  

The first issue I am having is the centre panel is empty on arriving into the shop whereas the original shop has new products listed.  When navigating through the categories these are usually displayed in the middle of the page with images but don't seem to appear on the bootstrap version.  How do I fix this?

The second issue is that when navigating to the cat/ directory it is always trying to forward to the install dir.  I deleted the install dir and I am able to access the front of the shop with cat/index.php - something has went wrong obviously.

Would appreciate advice on these initial issues, there is a lot of content on the shop so I want to make sure the bootstrap is compatible.

This is the test bootstrap address which has all the data in it https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/test/cat/index.php

post-329940-0-67220500-1489732998_thumb.jpg

post-329940-0-06387800-1489732999_thumb.jpg

Hi there

pretty sure you need to go into admin and turn on the modules you want for the index page

admin/ modules/content from the left menu.

Some please correct me if i am wrong

Doug :thumbsup:

Thanks, the modules solved the issue with the middle content which now appears and looks great!

Any idea how to fix the issue with the catalog directory pointing to the install directory instead of the shop index?  Not sure what prompts this for a new install but it seems to have got stuck.  Can access the shop via https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/test/cat/index.php but https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/test/cat/ is sending me to https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/test/cat/install/

Did a bit of working it out...

Found this in application top:

if (DB_SERVER == '') {
    if (is_dir('install')) {
      header('Location: install/index.php');
      exit;

from what I understand it loads the config file in and checks if the db_server is blank and if so sets the header location to install/index/  - the database is set correctly so it should work fine.

Next step was looking at the event log in chrome it appears to give a 302 error when accessing /cat/ - I noticed beside the error it said (from disk cache).  I cleared my chrome cache and hey presto it worked.

Always nice to figure out something like that :)  Thanks for your help with the centre modules!!  Now to have a play around with this and see if all the functionality is there that we had previously, made a lot of wee changes over the years but first impressions are very good.

New error now, when  clicking buy now on a product I get a 500 error, logs as follows;

AH01071: Got error '
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(/var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/languages/english/modules/payment): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 38\n
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(/var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/languages/english/modules/payment): failed to open stream: No such device in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 38\n
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening 'includes/languages/english/modules/payment/' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/plesk/php/5.6/share/pear') in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 38\n
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(/var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/modules/payment): failed to open stream: No such device in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 39\n
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(/var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/modules/payment): failed to open stream: No such device in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 39\n
PHP message: PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening 'includes/modules/payment/' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/plesk/php/5.6/share/pear') in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 39\n
PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Class name must be a valid object or a string in /var/www/vhosts/aventineminiatures.co.uk/public_html/test/cat/includes/classes/payment.php on line 41\n', referer: https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/test/cat/index.php

Strangely it seems to have self corrected and I can add products now...  Would be nice to know what caused the issue though it does look like something is wrong.

Another thing I have noticed is I am not able to click on the product images to make them pop up larger.  I see this functionality exists in the bootstrap demo so how do I enable it on images that have been transferred over?

Great job transferring your site! Have you thought about changing the CSS to give your store a less "standard" look?

Thanks, I was glad it all went as smooth as it did, only had 1 issue so far which I solved this morning but it wasn't anything major, just making sure all orders paid in GBP rather than customer selected currency.

CSS is one thing I havent learnt much about so far, can't get my head round it.  I was thinking it would be nice to make it look something similar to the front page but the shop has had the old 2.3.4 look for a lot of years so even just moving to the BS version is a huge improvement.  Visually it is miles ahead and the responsiveness is something which is really required these days.  Had been thinking about changing the software for a while and changing servers prompted a bit of a spring clean all round!

May look into learning a bit about CSS as it does crop up a lot.  Are there any starting points with it in the store that would be worth trying out?

CSS is easy to learn the basics and current css can do a lot more than in the past.  Bootstrap has a customizer that I like a lot, but you will have to replace your bootstrap css with it.  However, it will generate for you and with a little bit of playing you can get pretty far.  http://getbootstrap.com/customize/

Beyond that you add css to your user.css to customize more over time.  Sometimes you only what to change one area for instance and can affect just say your footer with user.css.  https://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp has some pretty good tutorials you can play with, as well as, major browsers have web tools built in that will help.

I'm not really a dog.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, IsaacDesigner said:

Hi, can you explain me how to create the "test directory"?

We are actually using 2.3.1 version, and would like upgrade, but need to test-run first, and I just don't know where to start, thanks in advance! ;-]#

Hi Isaac, what he means is that in his hosting panel or maybe via ftp, he created a directory inside his domain called 'test' and then copied the code of the new osc version there.

You will also need to create a separate database for your test shop version before running the install.

Once you've done that, when you go to yourdomain/test in the browser, it will take you into the install routine.

NB if you get stuck like Luke with the shop always redirecting to the install, clear your broswer cache.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

On 6/6/2017 at 8:42 AM, BrockleyJohn said:

Hi Isaac, what he means is that in his hosting panel or maybe via ftp, he created a directory inside his domain called 'test' and then copied the code of the new osc version there.

You will also need to create a separate database for your test shop version before running the install.

Once you've done that, when you go to yourdomain/test in the browser, it will take you into the install routine.

NB if you get stuck like Luke with the shop always redirecting to the install, clear your broswer cache.

...thanks BrockleyJohn. Will look into it and get it done, thanks again. ;-]#

Archived