burt

Devious Trick or Super Smart

30 posts in this topic

I just bought an item (actually from a shop running Magento I think, but that's unimportant) that

was the last one in stock.

As soon as I bought it and confirmed Paypal, I went back to the shop and looked at the product.

The product is now marked "OUT OF STOCK", and has a special price of approx 25% lower than

I paid, along with "let me know when this product is back in stock".

I've no doubt that people searching will see this, sign up and be notified when back in stock. But at that time I suspect the price will be the same as I paid or higher.

In other words, the special price is only on there to get people to sign up for notifications.

Question:

Devious Trick or Super Smart ?

I'd say Devious and False advertising.  Not on my moral compass.

Dan

2 people like this

And probably illegal in most 1st world countries.

1 person likes this

That was my initial thought. I'll keep an eye on it and see what they do with

notifications and price when back in stock.

Will report back.

Pretty underhanded of them

On the other hand one could think of the following situation:

if the stock is low the price could increase to reflect the supply-demand-correlation. Further one can assume that - when the item is available in larger numbers - the price could be decreased once again...

It is also imaginable to have flexible prices in the preparation of major events. Eg a discount several weeks before christmas with an increase with a smaller window of delivery.

Would be nice to have an inbuilt flexible pricing system (a versatile discount system... quantity and so on)

Maybe I was looking at this from a glass-half-empty perspective.

Perhaps they put the price up as stock gets lower (this is a product that only they create/sell), and when they get more the price goes down?

lower sell price without having to carry stock, can give same roi as stocked item at higher price,

isnt that the whole drop shipping business ?

Don't some big retailers (Amazon?) do something like this -- price based on demand (and perhaps supply)? All you have to do is track your sales for a product, and if the rate of sales (demand) is high, tick up the price. I'm not sure why anyone would jack up the price on low supply (especially if customers don't know the stock level), but maybe they have their reasons. "Last few items... get 'em before they're gone!"?

Now, adjusting the price is legal and ethical provided it applies equally to all customers. If you see a signed-in customer named L'Jane, who has purchased hair straightener before, you might guess she's African-American, and raise the price a bit. That would be of questionable legality and ethics, as you could easily be accused of discriminating against her based on race. If demand is currently high for some product she's looking at, it would be OK to raise the price, provided you did it for everyone. You could still be in a gray area if only one ethnic group tended to purchase a given product, but if you could show that it's strictly colorblind demand pricing, I would say it's allowable.

(trying to remember the wording to an old joke)

Customer: How much are your xxxxxx?

Store: They are $10 each

Customer: YYYY sells them for $8 each.

Store: Then why don't you buy them from YYYY ?

Customer: YYYY is out of them.

Store: When we are out of them, we sell then for $5 each.

3 people like this

@@burt

In the U.S. it's called "bait and switch", which can be litigated if someone pushes the issue. It violates the Antitrust Act that's been in place for about a century.

@@burt

(It was too late to edit last comment)

It may take some hardcore evidence to prove "bait and switch" unless a whistleblower from the inside speak up. Now if the retailer says "sign up now to get this item at this price when it is back in stock" is perfectly legal. It reminds me of a raincheck some retailers use.

Posted (edited)

Devious, makes you feel screwed and wanna undo the purchase, assuming with such types of site would lead to part2 of a story.

The rule what i am aware of in the Netherlands when they discount a product within X days of the date you purchased, you have the right to return or get returned the difference $.

"Somehow" like that is the rule.

We also based such rules to make sellings easyer for the customer (avoid customer irritations, problems (return policy,shipping rules) and have an overall policy for shop owners and other business.

They covered that pretty well i must say.

Edited by wHiTeHaT

Personally not really bothered by it as the product is only available from them. Nowhere else in the world...

I'll report back on what happens when it is back in stock.

Okay, now I'm wondering what the product is?

@@John W

If they are the manufacturer, or publisher, or ....

Malcolm

Or is it me being deviously tricky or super smart...ah ha.

Na.

I have a hobby. I needed a particular product made only by this one manufacturer...

I have so many comments in my mind that I shouldn't make.  They're all funny though, or at least to me they are!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

LOL.  It's just a hobby something I've been into for some years.  

I'm exploring the potential of turning it into a (small, small as in pocket money) ecomm business.

Edit:  I suppose it might be good for someone on the Team to actually sell stuff using osC ;)

Edited by burt
3 people like this

Dont use oscommerce to sell, you will realise how outdated it is. Use something else. LOL.

When we have lots of stock of a {widget} we sell it for less, when we have little stock and the restock is months away we sell them for more.

From the horses mouth...

I used to manage restaurants and that was the basic scenario of supply and demand in produce.  I remember when tomatoes were stupid expensive and some places didn't buy them.  Another time when lettuce went to $50 a case of 24 and it was crap.

I sell products of nature now and I can't often get what I need, but i feel bad about gouging someone on price. 

I also feel like we're all getting old.  Some days are better than others. 

I also feel like we're all getting old.  Some days are better than others.

+1

I used to manage restaurants and that was the basic scenario of supply and demand in produce.  I remember when tomatoes were stupid expensive and some places didn't buy them.  Another time when lettuce went to $50 a case of 24 and it was crap.

I sell products of nature now and I can't often get what I need, but i feel bad about gouging someone on price.

To be fair, I did not feel like I was gouged.

I wanted the product, it was at a price I was willing to pay, I bought it.

If the price goes down in the future, I don't mind, as I have what I need *now*...